[Input Request] Quality of Life improvements for building

IMO, a nice QoL improvement for building would be to have a tabbed view of the recipes when you open your inventory, with each tab being a different building set (e.g. Sandstone, Stonebrick, Insulated, Black Ice, Aquilonian, etc.)

It would also be a nice time-saver if the keyboard cursor was automatically focused on the Search field so that as soon as we open Inventory, we can immediately start typing instead of first having to click up there.

I’d also be in favor of a check-box by the Search field to indicate if search results should be persistent across repeated inventory access, or cleared each time. If search results could be made persistent like this, then I’d be OK with not having a tabbed inventory for building sets, since I could essentially accomplish the same thing, particularly if we were given the option to save search results in some way.

2 Likes

Additionally - I believe that the inventory search is broken right now. I believe that this was broken somewhere when the T4 thrall recipes were broken. This, too, would make building much easier if we could sift our inventory for the block we need.

Ok this will be pretty long.
I’m a creative person and the building system is the main reason why I purchased this game, and continue to play on a daily basis. After playing with it for awhile now, I’ve developed lots of frustrations, even though it’s still one of the best available.
I think most of this should be able to be implemented fairly easily if they seem like good ideas. A few would definitely take some work to do however.
I apologize for any mobile formatting issues.
Ok here goes…

• first of all, make crafting a wholly separate page in the menu system like journeys, feats and such. I’m constantly scrolling through recipes accidentally, while trying to just navigate through my inventory. (On xbox)
    Then make tabs for each building category within that menu page to streamline it. You could even redesign the feats page and put it there since that’s where you unlock the crafting recipes anyway. Either way it doesn’t belong in the same place as armor equipping and the rest on my inventory. That space could instead be used to equip the radial/hot bar items easier.

• the ability to toggle snap on or off.

• more snapping options for foundations like different height levels, angle, and pitch. Especially for wedges and triangles. Flat buildings get boring.

• half and quarter height stairs and ramps for creating multilevel floors and foundations.

• the ability to place a ceiling tile connecting 2 pieces at different heights to create custom sized ramps and angled walls.

• half sized wedge ceilings and foundations to fit into the odd half-wedge holes created with the current system. The wedge/square combo is a really great system but sometimes the pieces just don’t fit together nicely.
    As an easy example, if I place down a square, and put a wedge on every side, those wedges won’t connect properly to each other. Thinner half sized triangle variations would solve this.
    Or some sort of craftable cement to fill in the gaps could also be made.

• half sized ceiling and square foundations (rectangles) and quarter sized squares too. Having to make a passageway for stairs 2 tiles long is unnecessary and frustratingly space consuming, while needing to duck down when walking on the stairs because it’s only 1 tile long is ridiculous, annoying, and immersion breaking.

• an independent “God mode” like camera you can toggle on without admin privileges, or even a separate construction mode you enter when building. Either the repair hammer or an entirely new construction bench could be used to access this ability. Should have limited range so it can’t be abused in pvp, and it should leave you standing there vulnerable while in use.
    Several versions of this have been suggested by others. A free roaming camera is really helpful when trying to design a building tho.

• the ability to temporarily place something and walk around it to see if it’s correct from other angles before confirming the placement. (Altars, workstations, etc.) Or being able to pick it up again within a short time if it’s not right, as someone else suggested.

• the ability to snap placables to walls, the environment, and other placables. This should also toggle on/off. Would be really helpful in quickly arranging a row of benches lined up next to each other against a wall for example.

• the align to ground function needs some tweaking too. When used, things usually turn out way too crooked, or it just doesn’t help and the object still won’t place.

• a greater variety of ramp shapes to match roof and ceiling pieces. (Wedges, inverted wedges, etc.) Some of the ramp textures would make cool looking rooves but the shape variety isn’t there to do it.
    They also don’t work on the ground with wedge pieces very well when actually used as ramps either. Neither do stairs for that matter. They both only work with squares.

• a greater variety of roof shapes, like half-wedges. It’s currently possible to create interesting oddly-shaped buildings with angles and corners that can’t be covered over unless you use boring flat ceiling tiles, which also make the room too short.

• pillars should provide more support. They’re either bugged or they’re programmed poorly. The piece directly above them is supported, but anything connected to it doesn’t receive any additional support from it. This renders them practically useless.
    I can hang a ceiling tile off the top of a wall with 40 stability and the hanging ceiling tile retains that 40 stability, while a ceiling tile placed on top of a pillar which shows it has the same stability of 40 itself, doesn’t offer the same support and won’t let me hang anything from it saying the hanging piece only has 20 now.
    Pillars should provide almost as much, if not the same support as foundations, not less than a thin wall.
    They also don’t seem to get any support from being placed on ceiling tiles below them. They’re only supported themselves if they’re placed directly on another pillar or a foundation. Doesn’t matter if that ceiling tile has 100 support below them. If you want a pillar to continue to support another pillar through a ceiling tile, you need to place both pillars 1st, and then place the ceiling in between. That ceiling piece won’t get any additional support from either pillar to extend to another connected ceiling piece however.

• greater variety of pillars and support beams once the above is addressed, and the ability to snap them in more places and directions. I’d like horizontal and diagonal crossbeams to support tall cathedral ceilings and large palace halls, without having to compromise the floor space inside.

• all pillars should be useful and load-bearing. Decorative pillars should still be functional, just look nicer and perhaps cost more to craft.

• the ability to snap a pillar sideways to another pillar to create a decorative wall, or to the side of a wall itself, or to the environment.

• the ability to place pillars anywhere on the floor, not just the center of a tile.

• craftable wall and ceiling pieces that are just reinforced frames, to support tall rooves while still keeping a big open look to the room. Similar to the way a hatch frame looks, but able to provide real structural support, with triangle wedge shapes and vertical wall pieces as well.

• craftable hidden doors that look like walls, or a bookcase/cupboard. Hidden passageways are always cool, and would be useful in hiding your valuables in a raid.

• easier placement of palisades in the environment. It’s really difficult lining them up in a straight line if they’re not placed on foundations. I’m always getting an error message. The bug fix that got rid of the duplicate under mesh (if that’s what it was called) helped a little, but it’s still a pain in the backside to place them.

• greater variety of wooden fences. There’s only one currently in the game. You can easily walk right over it without jumping. And the pattern changes randomly when placed. They also change when I reload the game. The only things they’re currently good for is that the coding apparently tells mobs not to path that way since it’s blocked, and pure decoration as well. It would be nice if I could also use them as a viable railing on a high ledge or walkway to keep from walking off.

• the ability to place all the various types of fences on the sides of stairs as working guardrails to keep you from falling off unless you actually decide to jump.

• the ability to place wooden chests on top of more types of objects and farther “away from the ground”. (On wooden crates, shelves, stack 3 or more high, etc.) I don’t understand why there’s a restriction on this.

• as said by others, grass really shouldn’t grow through foundations. Except maybe sandstone since that’s the cheapest to make.

• grass DEFINITELY shouldn’t grow through foundations AND the workstations and other placables on top. I can buy it popping up between cracks in the cheap foundations, but seeing grass popping up through the buckets in the tanners bench or through a lit campfire, or sticking up out of the water in the well is very immersion breaking.

• as others have said, being able to take worker thralls out of workstations, change or remove their armor, change the location they stand in while working at their bench, and use them for base defense or sacrificing on religious altars would be awesome. They did have a weapon and tried to kill me when I captured them after all. They should be able to turn around and help fend off attackers and raiders, although that should toggle as well since I’d rather my rare named thralls not risk their lives fighting. Screw the low level ones tho.

• on a similar note, I’d also like to see a few cosmetic changes to the wheels of pain to accurately display the thralls inside them instead of those annoying grey haired guys that don’t really exist. I think that’s probably a topic for another thread tho.

• a server setting to limit or increase the range that construction stops nearby resources from regenerating. I was disappointed when the huge boulder I tried to hide my 1st little shelter behind despawned when I left the area and it never came back. Claim radius only seems to affect how far away others can build.

• placable trees, rocks, and plants to decorate the area around my base and replace the resources that despawned, for asthetic purposes.

• anything I see around npc camps I should be able to craft and place around my base too, or even pick up right there and bring home. Most items are possible to craft but there are a few things I think that don’t seem to be.

• bonfires should always appear to be on fire and give off some light, like in npc camps. Otherwise they’re just big piles of sticks, which look stupid. They can get brighter when cooking. It was very disappointing to see this wasn’t the case, as I wanted to have my dancers around a big fire like they’re doing some pagan ritual.

• finally and most importantly, PLEASE IMPROVE THE STABILITY SYSTEM!!! I’ve been trying to put a roof over a tower for 3 solid days now. Literally over 30 hours of gameplay just trying to cover a tower that I should have no problem with, according to lots of YouTube videos. I’ve been forced to abandon a couple cool design variations because I couldn’t make them stable enough to work, even tho they weren’t much different than videos I’ve seen, and the laws of physics would have no problem with them irl. Tore down the entire top floor several times to try and rebuild in a different order. Gave up on being creative and tried doing it exactly like YouTube videos, and I’m still unable to finish it. Apparently this tower will never have a roof.
    There’s some weird bug causing pieces to mysteriously loose 20 stability points here and there in random places. Shouldn’t be happening since the whole room is symmetrical and the other side is fine.

Also, one last thought…

• I doubt the current engine could handle it, but a redstone-like system using ropes, pulleys, and stone gears or magic to stay in cannon, would be absolutely incredible. It would also attract a new player base and create a new segment of inventors posting instructional videos online.
    Basically all those players with countless hours in minecraft, but are now looking for something more mature and with better graphics would flock to CE if this could be implemented. Yes I’m from this demographic if it wasn’t already obvious.
    (As an adult gamer from the NES days, minecraft finally lost me when Microsoft bought it and started specifically catering to kids to cash in on microtransactions by their parents. It used to be a great all ages game that was fun to create in, despite them constantly breaking all my redstone inventions with every major update. Now it feels like a corporate cash grab aimed at youngsters. No worries about that here as long as you guys at funcom don’t get greedy with the dlc. Lol)

So I think that’s it. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for taking the time to solicit feedback from the player community. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This ghosting of pieces allows players to start their building over if they don’t like the outcome. I’ve wasted lots of resources by deleting large sections that didn’t work like I wanted. If the construction of the ghosted pieces took a length of time, the chance to start over is greater. Also, the problem with enemies building instant catapult towers next door would be addressed. Solid scaffolding placed automatically in the areas of ghosted pieces would allow the defender to stop construction when they destroy it. I hate it when other players build too close or foundation spam. As for methods of placing pieces such as foundations, I would suggest using a multicolored 3 axis marker. One axis would be highlighted at a time and would be cycled through with a trigger on console. Movement and rotation would be cycled, though rotation may be limited to the y-axis since I cannot imagine horizontal buildings would be practical. The other axis in this case would be grayed out since they’d be non functional.

ROOF STABILITY. I think a major problem for players is the stability factor. Evidently there are no in game instructions on the way it works. Players get frustrated after thinking the roof pieces won’t snap together for some reason. If building pieces had a proper description, they would explain that this integrity number must be above 20 to be able to support neighboring pieces. Also that this number can be bolstered with supports such as posts, vertical walls, and stacks of foundation pieces connected to ground. The number or wording could be highlighted strongly green in the hp box when 80 to 100. Yellow from 40 to 70, red at 20. If at all possible, the pieces themselves could be colored to reflect their strength, which could also be toggled off and on with a button.
Also, I’d suggest that the decorative supports have a stone tier 3 version that adds a bit more stability number, and a description describing how it’s used. I won’t even get into constructing with triangle roof pieces as the supports don’t snap properly in the first place.

This would be fantastic, and I’d like something similar with the inventory too. Simply being able to narrow down by “plant stuff” and “building components” would make sorting my stuff into boxes a lot easier.

There are a couple of things I’d like to see:

1. Better Elevators - Elevators would be SIGNIFICANTLY more useful if the top and bottom of the elevator had the switch on the same side. As it stands, you can’t put elevators against the side of a wall unless you have some kind of workaround for not being able to access the switch. I don’t even use elevators because of this issue, because there’s no way to build an elevator shaft with exits on the same side. Multi-floor elevators would be even nicer, but having the switch on the same side is easier to fix and more important.

2. Auto-Sort Mechanism - It would be nice if I could assign different boxes to different items, and then have some kind of servant thrall take every copy of those items that I have (except for maybe an exclusion amount) and put them in their assigned boxes. This should only work for assigned items, that way I don’t have to worry about my entire inventory being dumped into a vault when there’s stuff in there I want to keep.

3. Gates and Windows - A 2x2 gate and a large window would be a godsend for building. As it stands the gates are too large for what I build and the windows are never large enough. There’s an RP and Decor mod that adds larger windows, but it doesn’t work for DLC items and I didn’t see any small gates in there.

1 Like

Since the above poster mentioned elevators…

1. Faster elevators. Maybe there’s a point to it in PvP, but in PvE and single-player, the extreme slowness of elevators is truly maddening. I’ve used a few mods that increase speed by about 3x and they feel just right, but mods can’t be used on official servers so that’s of no help.
  2. Different tiers of elevators. The current elevators look appropriate for a shabby, tier 1 structure, but completely out of place in a gleaming marble palace. Also, you could make the higher tier elevators also use faster speeds so that it’s not only a cosmetic difference.
  3. Default/home position. Allow builders to specify if a given lift should remain in the last-used position, or if it should return to a specified position after sitting unused for a few seconds. There’s nothing so annoying as returning to base only to have to summon the incredibly slow elevator before riding the incredibly slow elevator because you forgot to hit the switch after you last got off it.
  4. Let us be able to snap a foundations to the base of the elevator and have it auto-adjust the height after doing so. It’s incredibly annoying having to build a pillar all the way back down to the ground (or worse, a bridge for a horizontal elevator) just to slot in a foundation below the intended stopping point.
4 Likes

Mr.Crom:

I approve of your very verbose, and deep feedback!! I would like to add some of my own thoughts, if I may. :slight_smile:

I dig this. A very good idea. It’s application would be very useful globally. Perhaps CapsLock, or something, to toggle the snap-to feature off and on. I think by default, snap-to should remain toggled on.

There is a way to build at foundation “zero,” foundation 1/3, and foundation 2/3. I am not sure if this will meet your needs, or if you are already aware of it.

Place down a foundation at “foundation 0” height. Whatever height will do. Then, place a wall on that foundation. Now place a second foundation block, adjacent to where you placed the wall. When you are looking for the snap point, the foundation will alternate between snapping to the foundation level 0 spot, and also at a displaced position 1/3 the height of the foundation block up. In order to get a foundation at the 2/3s height, just do the same thing again with a wall and another foundation from the block that is at 1/3 height.

LMK if this is not clear (anyone), and I will try to put a video together to demo. The problem is that when you tile stuff like this at offset levels, they don’t always snap back together in other places like one would hope.

I fear that this is an ask that is probably not likely to be feasible. I have read commentary in other threads where they limited the blocks to the set we have due to complexity, UI real estate, and texture real estate issues. This would certainly be a nice to have. But I think if they were going to expand on the current block set, I would hope to see them introduce a “half square” isosceles triangle foundation/ceiling tile. It would likely require some hypotenuse-length walls, though, to go along with it.

Would a method to set a “preview” version of the block or placeable be a sufficient feature to account for this need? Maybe not what you are asking for here. I think that this might be pretty complex to implement, and difficult to implement in a way that prevents PvP abuses. I could go God-Construction Mode just outside of an enemy’s base.

Preview placement? Would that solve this need?

I see the value in this. The can be achieved if you place, and the use the A and D keys to strafe left and right (presuming no obstacles). Not sure how you would do this. But, I think if there was some kind of a temp grid tool that you could turn on - that might be helpful in this regard.

Align to ground is pretty helpful. However, I think that the ground isn’t always necessarily conducive to allowing a placeable to be placed. You can perform your fine tuning, pitch yaw by holding down CTRL and ALT and rolling the mouse wheel. Height by holding SHIFT, and rolling the mouse wheel. I am not sure what adjustment or tuning I could recommend to this function. I dig it as is.

Again, more shapes means more memory, more textures, more UI struggles finding just the right piece. I see the benefit, but I believe that this would be a longshot to get Funcom to implement.

Interesting. I think I see what you are saying. If you place a wall on a corner of A1, you can then place ceiling tile in A2, and it is fully supported. For a pillar in A1, you must also place a ceiling tile at the top of A1, and then the tile placed in A2 is decremented structural integrity.

I don’t really have an issue with the support that pillars provide currently. Though, I am not sure how you address that within the game without creating an exploitative situation. Have you looked to using doorway walls as a support option (without hanging the door in it)? This can be kind of aesthetically cool depending on what you’re trying to accomplish.

I am very disappointed that the “decorative support” struts aren’t actually functional. I think that if they could get these correctly implemented where they are not exploitable, that would be a big boon.

These make me think of 7 Days to Die. You can do some super creative stuff when you can start rotating pillars around. Not sure how viable, but I would not be opposed to it.

Comes back to the “more blocks” problem, I would think. But these would still be pretty cool. Just don’t know where you would fit them all. Perhaps if the custom size/style blocks are to be included, they could be added to a construction bench so as to not liter up the main recipe inventory.

A concealed door kind of hide away? I like it! Someone else suggested a sliding door frame (Khitan / Japanese tea house style). Might be cool to have something that pushed in, and then recesses into the adjacent block.

Very much agree with this. They definitely did something to make pallisades a serious PITA to place. It would be welcome if these were easier to place, or also if they had a snap-to feature so that you can align them properly.

Yes, this would definitely be cool / welcome to have.

While challenging to work with, I think that this distance is already pretty tight. I built an arena near the Shattered Springs obelisk that featured on of the wacked out, dried up, creepy trees in the center of the thing. It was beautiful in it’s finish, and truly a labor of love to build and to get just right. But - I am not sure if this is something that can be tightened up any further. I guess giving a server setting slider is what you are asking for, though. Official PvP’s would remain default, I presume.

I agree with you here. It would be nice if it was aesthetic, and functional (providing decent light, even when idle).

Are you using triangle ceiling tiles? I have found that you cannot place as many of these in series due to how they get their support. I know that there is a bug where tiles will sometimes not get inherited stability correctly, and either you must relog to allow the structure to recalculate structural integrity (SI) from scratch, or you must break a tile and replace it to get the full SI. I think it would help immensely if they could redo their decorative support struts, and make them functional.

Well thought out stuff here. If they were able to work on even just a fraction of the things you have on your list, that would be pretty amazing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually dig the way the elevator levers are in the current model. I often build to control/limit access to the elevator controls because I play on PvP. And… trap elevators!! (They are the BEST!!)

Perhaps the solution here is to make an additional elevator model with the pull chains oriented in a different corner or spot?

Both of these resonate with me. Especially if the higher tier elevators (requiring silk, steel, steel reinforcements, perhaps a steel cable ingredient only craftable by a high tier Blacksmith in the bench, oil, etc.) are the ones that get a speed upgrade.

1 Like

Thanks for the in depth responses Cauthey. Lol I did get pretty verbose there but I wanted to be as clear as possible about everything I was trying to say. It’s awesome the devs are looking for suggestions from the players.
A few responses to your reply…

I was not aware of this. Thanks! I can see it causing problems trying to line up walls on them the way the engine currently works tho. I’ll give it a try. A video explanation would definitely be helpful but I won’t ask you do that if you don’t want to.
Additionally, there’s a video I found by firespark on YouTube showing how you can trick the game into turning snap off on foundations at least.

That’s exactly what I was suggesting. Isosceles triangle foundations and ceilings to fit in the occasional space between the current square and equilateral triangles we have now.

Yes that would be awesome for placables, but still just a bandaid for actual building.
Being able to zoom out to get a better look at what you’re doing to plan it out, and to place pieces in hard to reach spots without having to climb a half-built wall while over encumbered with building materials is also what I’m after here.

Which is why I suggested tying it to a craftable item, (preferably a bench you have to place 1st) limiting its range, and making you vulnerable when in use. It should NOT let you fly over someone else’s construction to scout it out. The accessible area would be limited to the local area that’s actually buildable, so any other land claims would be inaccessible this way.
I think I saw a whole other thread devoted to this with multiple different ideas. Maybe it’s not a feasible idea. I was mostly just agreeing that we need some way of seeing what you’re building better and that’s what I came up with.

Wait, are you saying it’s possible now? How would I translate those commands to an xbox controller?
My solution here is to simply make them snap-able, like foundations, so they automatically want to line up to the walls and each other.

It is very helpful, but it could use a little tweaking is all I’m saying. If something won’t place, it definitely does help find a way to place it. Unfortunately that way is usually pretty wonky looking. If I go in and try to fine tune the height and pitch, I usually loose the ability to place it. I can only rotate it and still keep that placable position.

I’m not following you here. How would adjusting the stability of pillars create an exploitative situation?

I have tried using doorways. Quite extensively actually. (Wish I had a capture card to demonstrate. Can’t take screenshots on xbox because of the nudity.) They worked for some situations, but they still clutter up the space and make it feel tighter. Pillars provide a more open look to the room and give you more space for workbenches and such. They just don’t seem to provide the stability they should.

Exactly.

I would love to see some screenshots or video of this. It’s sounds really cool.

It’s a combo of triangles and squares. I tried breaking the tiles in question and replacing. Tried breaking the whole floor and rebuilding it in a different order. Didn’t think to try reloading the game right there for some reason, but the problem’s been plaguing me for a few days and several reloads now.
I did have part of it break 1st thing upon a reload one morning even tho it was fine the night before.

It’s basically a standard round tower design that’s 2 rows out from the center hexagon. I widened the top floor out a 3rd row to give it a watchtower look, and lined the outside of that top floor with doorways and wooden fences. But on that last floor I’m trying to keep it open and use pillars to support the roof where the walls were on the previous lower floors. Nope. There’s just no way of doing it without cluttering up the floor with doorways instead. Kinda hard to describe without pics.

And I have a problem where connecting a 3rd triangle to 2 others looses 20 integrity in a couple spots while the same set up 30 degrees away on the same wall is fine. I think I might have traced this problem down to the foundations though, and the way I had to put them down on this plateau. Need to test more to confirm. If so, I’m screwed on this one unless they do adjust the pillars and support beams, or I decide to just tear the whole thing down and start over again.

Here is the demo promised for raising foundation levels, while maintaining snap-to.

As you play on a console, I have no idea how your controller works. For me, if I need to place three carpenter benches in a line, I simply line up where I want to place the first one. Then, I strafe right (using the D key of WSAD). I strafe right slowly, and carefully, until the bench is next to the first one. Because I did not move my mouse, and because my only movement was strafing to the right, the benches should ultimately be aligned with each other laterally.

On stability, and potential exploits - I believe that the reason the decorative support struts were nerfed was because you could build something up, build it out, and then support it underneath with the functional support struts. Once those struts were placed (providing extra stability), you could essentially support tile B from tile A, and tile A from tile B. Once you got your interlocking / recursive struts placed, there was no need for a foundational anchor to the ground (ie - your structure was floating).

I don’t know if there is a way to add to the SI of the pillars in a way that equates them to walls. I have always just used them as they do currently.

I am not sure if my Arena still persists. I will log in later, and check it out. If it does, I’ll give you another vid. :slight_smile:

You might enjoy a building prep / sandbox tool. Check out Fortify.exe:

1 Like

Thanks for the video that’s really helpful. Gonna try it.

Movement with a controller on a console isn’t nearly as precise as you’re describing there. 1 small step and your placement is totally different. I use the camera for fine tuning.

Floating buildings would definitely be a problem. There must be a way to improve support without opening up the possibility of recursive stability loops.
I don’t think simply forcing a tether to the ground would be enough.

A quick summary addressing your request specifically.
Ghosting and delaying the time to place pieces allows one to erase mistakes and not waste resources.
A large multicolored 3 axis marker. One axis would be highlighted at a time and could be cycled through for movement and rotation.
A toggle that colors building pieces according to their stability.
Cycling through building pieces of the same tier on the fly.

I just thought of this one while building. Change banners/flags that are on poles so that you can place them on sloped rooves of buildings instead of just on the ground or foundation blocks

I think one of the bigger things in relation to building, ignoring collision/snapping issues, is a lot of the recipes are sectioned in the feats panel making your choices imo a bit too limited. There are a lot of recipes I think that should be merged, and also a lot that I think should become interaction based with exploration.

When there aren’t issues with snapping and placement, I find little difficulty making grand structures, but in reality a lot of recipes I have to leave out because the main ones take a lot of feats. Either introduce means to acquire more feat points from completing content, or merge more recipes so we don’t have to pick and choose so precisely. I think there should be some restrictions so we cannot learn every recipe, but the margin should be shortened to not be so far off.

May have already been suggested but the large items are very difficult to place. It would be helpful if you could zoom out (and overhead), which I think has been suggested below, maybe by pressing up again and cycling through 3rd person, 1st person and a zoomed out/overhead view.
Alternatively the item could be transparent and any other building items, or the area on the item you’re trying to place, could be highlighted in some way when they clash. This would indicate which way you need to move the item to get it in the space you’ve constructed. At the moment you just get a message saying it’s overlapping (or whatever it says) but it doesn’t indicate which piece it’s actually touching

Greg

Its more of a concept than a matter of fairness. They want tribes to work with each other and fill the gaps in their community but I see where you are coming from.

You can easily reset feats via either a Yellow Lotus potion or Potion of Natural Learning, and then spec into what you want for decorating, or simply to ditch armors and weapons you no longer need once you’ve hit max level. Because of this, I’m hard-pressed to think of any time I’ve felt like I couldn’t unlock all the game’s content.

Remember, a lot of the recipes like Beehives, Improved Stove, Preservation Box, and others, you only need the feat long enough to build that object. After construction, many of these items will still function just fine even if you don’t have the feat used to create it.

1 Like