Is PVE as important as PVP?

I’m a roleplayer, a lot of people that don’t roleplay assume that roleplay doesn’t involve PvP, it actually does on most servers. Conflict is an important part of telling a good story. PvE is also an important part of storytelling, so with that being said, as someone that can appreciate both PvP and PvE, I’d say that Funcom has struck a solid balance, neither side of the coin are happy, but they’re still playing the game.

I sympathize for those that are frustrated with the direction they see the game taking, especially those upset about the thrall update, but I really do think Funcom is doing their best, and as long as you provide constructive feedback to them, they’ll consider what you say.

3 Likes

No so far the building system is 110% made for pvp so you can in pve corupt the hole map alone and no one can do anything about it.

The hole system is a pvp system whit pvp turnd off partly on the servers.

This is only because official servers are lawless badlands where no admin is around to hear you scream.

Try any private server PVE with an active admin and players who try to use PVE rulsets at the expense of others are swiftly dealt with… And really thats all that a game like this needs. I really wish there was some sort of monitoring and admin presence on official, for both PVP and PVE maybe then people wouldnt feel so helpless in these kinds of situations.

Take ARK for example, a clan can be banned and have their entire base wiped to doing things like blocking resource spawns or trying to claim the whole map… Sadly on conan officials the only law of the land is the one you choose…

1 Like

You men a system wher the server members can vote for an Admin to have the controle?
It const alot for funcom to have admins patroling all the servers.

What we need is a more regulated system adopted to pve.

• More area you cant build on that conect the alredy regulated areas.

• Limit how mutch you can build in blocks

• Claming flaggs to build whitin.

• Extend the purge, A purgemeter that trigger by the space you have clamed and give you a realy hard purge that clear the way.

• Random patroling purges that keep the path open.

• mix of that and other things that promote the server to be full of player and full of Life.

• purge and other elemets that keep the players buissy for a longer time. Insted off a new instsns, how many times can you clear and instasn b4 you have no which to go back?

Arks solution is also a desperate approach to the underlaying problem. Blocking stuff is a totally legitimate tactic IF building pieces are destructible. So in PvE it requires administration to ensure you play in a fair manner. In PvP raiders should be able to fight for their resources.

1 Like

I don’t speak for the PvP community, but I’d estimate between 80-90% have abandoned the game by now. It’s disheartening, because that appears to include the die-hards who make up the nuts and bolts of any clan or organization. Seems time, turns, twists of fate and bald indifference have withered the PvP base. That doesn’t mean real PvPers aren’t around anymore, in fact thanks to our laid-back server I know at least three additional solid players on the PC with whom I’d happily start afresh and ride into battle.

The thing is, for the minute now, we PvP players on quiet servers have a chance to practice the art of Peace. It’s a tough concept to understand without illustration. I have a dear friend, let’s call him The Fox. He’s got an amazing work ethic, will farm at all hours, will build with vigor and dedication – and will rob the pants off you when you’re not looking. We were in a clan on a server, and when we were being bombed into oblivion he took it in stride. We were allied in other servers, and when the counter-raid happened and his obscure bases were pinpoint-hit, he loved it and played on. He fought 1v1, 1v4, was cut down and cut down others, finding himself encumbered on the battlefield by an errant F-press to his humble frustration. It was peacetime that actually did him in, though.

When we have no one to fight, any self-respecting PvP player will turn inward and say “wtf am I doing?” after finding, unopposed, yet another rare whatever on this formerly-lively server. The ones whose better natures lose out ultimately quit the game; the rest have no choice but to play PvE. This means we have no external pressures at the moment, so we can actually enjoy the game and the beautiful environment, as well as sharpen our defenses in a steady and unhurried way.

Furthermore, Peace gives me in particular a lot of time to be meditative and play through other players’ eyes. As the PvE base has taught me so very much, it’s the least I can do. And when I think about it, no they’re not the least affected by exploits and hacks. On the contrary, because they generally have a practice and expectation of Peace, an exploit (common) or hack (rare) hurts a PvE player even more.

4 Likes

depends on what u wanna play! pve is as important as the pvp players are…
what FC has wrong is that its impossible to balance the game between two such different gameplays…

even though they try, they r set to fail if they do not implement another way of how pvp works IN relation with pve…

for me the game, mechanics and exp and gather rates should be different for the two kinds of gameplay… so pvp should get higher exp , and faster resource gathering along with way more building restrictions…
the sad part of this conflict is that pvp players crying for nerfs r ussually right from their perspective, but nerfs take away the joy in pve…

so tricky , tricky , tricky! i believe both communities r important , but i agree that pvp playerbase declines steadily towards pve-c , and i believe that battle standards were implemented cause the fleeing playerbase entered pve , but they wanted some action also (on the safe side, without losing their stuff etc), thus the requests increased…

1 Like

Issue with fan-mods, is it can go Bad, and go bad quick. I lost my Mod -ship along with rest of group when a long time Mod, deleted my account for speaking up on behalf of community. (I was there before them)
Were talking full trust levels there… and it took a bad moment for one of them to cause irreversible harm.
The ratio for Quality Volunteer Mods, or even payed staying that way is a risk most wont take.
I’ve seen Paid Staff go off handle only slightly, and it causes issue.

The server need some form of Admins… I’d prefer only Staff stopping in to clear out stuff time to time.

I know but its also a balanse to make the server alive. In other sandbox game the space is not that limitid as it is in CE. i meen have the tooles so its 40 activ player dayle on the server. Now its quire komon that 2 player solo controle half the map.

I ment all new stuff in a game tacke diferent time to be done whit and you demand new stuff to do. And instans or a new boss dont keep player buyssy that long.

I think i suggested something of the sort. A few different Dungeons that is 1 player instance. Dungeon of Reckoning/Reflection. No thrall help, you keep on death, random spawns and traps, and random mini bosses and bosses scaled for 1 player. Unique decorative skins for weapons, etc. Maybe some climbing, and light adventure style platforming. and adventure. A side story. A dream/nightmare.

1 Like

Yes, a well i have not bean in the new dungions so dont know how hard them is but still its limetid fun time ether you have cleard it or dont go ther by any other reason.

But ex a expanding off the purge and other random events + a random instans can keep player buissy almost 4 ever.

I’d love this, but I wonder if procedurally-generated dungeons are even doable in the engine without an undue burden on the server’s resources. Maybe with the upcoming thrall limits the additional CPU bandwidth might make it worth trying…

2 Likes

Hellgate London is a big profe that random maps is not a god ide!

Not random maps, but random spawn points in the dungeons. Lay out of the “base” is the same, just different areas where mini bosses, npcs spawn at. AS well, the traps would be random as well. The actual structures remain the same. Not looking for endless replaying them, but something to keep you on your toes, and do as a solo adventure. timed as well, meaning faster you get thru it, the better the reward(s). 24 hour Cool off for officials to avoid spamming, and re-spawn at bed/bed roll/desert.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.