Isle of Men 2.0.0 now live!

Isle of Men 1.0.0

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. -Conan’s Father

Wecome to the Isle of Men. This is a full 8x8 map, borrowing themes from the 1982 movie. The map is a combination of Exiled Lands and Siptah content. Being my first mod ever, this was a very ambitious undertaking, but I am very pleased with the result as an attempt to compliment the base game and preserve what I consider to be core themes. There are hiddin systems that can be discovered through playing the map that will take time to fully understand and achieve.There is a lore to this map, but I’m not going to explain it beyond what I’ve included above… you’ll just have to explore to find out.

Features:
Tons of NPCs
Dungeons are integrated with the map (no load screens which also means, no spawn points at their entrance)
Custom NPCs
Custom Monsters
Custom Pet, Pit Bull
Siptah Surge NPC camps as well as Exiled Lands NPC faction camps
Custom game soundtrack featuring GhostsI-IV by my favorite band, Nine Inch Nails, used under a Creative Commons License for non-commercial use

Known bugs and unfinished business:
At character creation, some sliders do not function properly visually, but do affect the character (this is on my hot list to fix). Orb of Nergal functions normally.
Hurricane may or may not spawn at launch (modified sandstorm blueprint) and may undergo some visual changes in the near future. Can be disabled if necessary with the sandstorm checkbox.

Special Thanks: Several people gave me pointers and the occasional assist along the way. Rob was a great help when I had a couple major roadblocks and deserves speical thanks (He helped me keep Ricki Lake off the map). Contrast was very helpful to me in getting the basics of mapmaking going right at the start. Otterly helped point me in the direction of some basic skills in the beginning as well. I also want to thank the teams that created some great mods that were inspirational as to what can be done, namely Savage Wilds, Age of Calamitous, and Thrall Wars to name a few (you can see their influence on me as you experience the map).

Parting thoughts: This mod is the result of a very intense last 6 months, but it is not yet finished in my mind. I will continue to update this map over time, and before I add anything to a given area, I will preemptively add a building blocker volume so that anyone who has a base in that area has forewarning that something is coming with time to move. I will not be posting the coordinates of these changes; it would give away the exploration. These additions will likely be in the form of tunnel entrances to beneath the ground or volcano, so the impact of any additions such as these should be minimal.

It’s also worth noting, that there will be no discord, and you may have noticed the comments are off on Steam. I hope everyone enjoys the map as much as I do, but I do want people to understand that this map is my own expression. While lots of people have good ideas, I would encourage them to learn to make their own ideas a reality. I can assure you that I will be hunting bugs (with some friends of course) and will try to be sparing in my update cycle. I fully intend to keep working on this map until CE is no more.

Also, while there are a lot of great mods out there (many mentioned above) and some (like Thrall Wars) were intentionally kept in mind when designing this map for cross functionality, I will not guarantee that for all mods. As I use other mods and can prove compatibility to myself, I will try to post them on the Steam page. I have no reason to think there will be serious compatibility issues with most mods, and some could probably be solved by just placing the other further down the list (I did touch some base game assets associated with the body to remove the bracelet).

And finally, a special thank you to Funcom. This mod would not be possible without the work done to provide us with the devkit, and the wonderful work they did during Siptah development to enable us to create fully custom maps. I am eternally grateful and humbled by their work, especially now that I have a taste of what they go through, knowing full well there is a ton of work that went into me being able to do a ton of work… I am in awe.

MOD ID: 2876218536

Music from the albums Ghosts I-IV by Nine Inch Nails used under Creative Commons License for non-commercial use

This mod contains assets (art, music, code, items, systems and/or designs that are the intellectual property of Funcom Oslo AS or their licensors

37 Likes

I like when players create their own worlds. I’m curious what life is there. :muscle:

3 Likes

Hard and lots of people want to eat you :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Congratulations, i wish people will show interest and play your map. I cannot imagine how much work you have in this project!

2 Likes

Whether people do or not, creating it was very satisfying and and as Major Briggs stated in Twin Peaks, achievement is its own reward. That being said, I hope people do find enjoyment the way I have.

2 Likes

Hahaha I really liked the shark. I think fear is everywhere on your map and that’s okay. So am I a fried chicken?

2 Likes

Drumstick.

2 Likes

Bravo.
While this one is not on a platform that can interface with this, it’s excellent to see.

This one greatly enjoys lore.
Respecting that you want to keep exploration and mysteries fresh, are there any teasers you would be willing to share about your custom monsters? Are they drawn from the 1982 movie or related media? Inspired from your own nitemares or those of authors who collaborated with Howard? Will they be a subtle, swarming, or monolithic threat?

Also, a Hurricane?
Beyound the lovely pictures shared, are there any details about what sort of biomes will be present?
You noted some significant tunneling, is there a fully developed underworld/cavern system?

Of course, the answer of discover for yourself (or in this one’s case, suffer console prole) is perfectly reasonable.

2 Likes

One monster in particular is from a story where Conan meets valeria and gets chased up a cliff by an enormous lizard (its a green reshaded and modified lacerta). There are also jungle giants to represent the descendent of the giants cast into the sea by wind and fire, who don’t coldsnap… they do something else (which is easy to guess). I also have a new faction doing something mysterious on the island, trying to uncover something… have to hold that close to the vest. In the near future there will be sharks and whales. Whales because I want a method of obtaining oil from a harvestable activity. Sharks to be well… sharks and patrol the sea. Rhe map is predominantly jungle, but there is a desert portion not in the path of the hurricane and the center of the map is a large volcano where other “things” are (think big giant things that are at home with fire).

4 Likes

From what I’ve heard for the last six months:

4 Likes

I’m just thrilled to have new combat music.

3 Likes

For anyone playing on high or lower settings, the ocean appears invisible. This has been fixed internally and will roll out with a patch Saturday morning EST. If I find anything else noteworthy I will post it here and it will be included if fixed.

2 Likes

Character creation bone edits fixed internally. Will update tomorrow morning with ocean fix.

2 Likes

Subscribed to and playing on it this evening!

2 Likes

I converted my private dedicated server into something public.

Feel free to join and check out Darth’s map if you’re interested.

4 Likes

Weekly patch pushed to Steam. Fixes to the Character Creation sliders, ocean settings, and some small edits to the landscape to remove artifacts

3 Likes

Something I thought I would mention. The mod leaves the day length as vanilla but I strongly suggest lengthening the day cycle to very long. On my server, I make the entire day last several real time hours so that night is an event all its own. This is something I started doing awhile ago for EL and now, my players and I can’t play any other way. Just a suggestion.

2 Likes

I always set my servers so that the cycle is twice as long as normal. You set it to be longer than that but leave configs for day and night length set to their normal values?

I usually do .2 overall and then set them to .5 but right now I’m trying .2 across the board. Doesnt feel as long as I thought.

On another note, I’ve noticed an issue with foliage shadows and they will be disabled in the next build (next Saturday unless I uncover something critical). If anyone is noticing any slight stutter, this is likely the cause. Most of the shadows come from the large landscape trees so disabling the foliage shadows won’t really be missed anyway.

I think I’ve noticed that stutter when fighting the crocs in noob cove.