It's pain in the neck to harvest bark

I’d like that very much

I’ve also had trouble with bark until I unlocked the pickaxe. At this point you collect bark as a byproduct of harvesting wood. Although I agree something like a lower-tech pickaxe, maybe around level 20 would be useful for easing the bark collection process. Or really making it a byproduct of shaping wood.

While I don’t consider it as a problem, it would be very nice to have a specialized tool for that, like for anything else. I don’t see any issues with that.

there several mods doing that, so yes, i think this would be a smart idea.
You want planks, so you cut down a tree, remove the bark, and a ready to make your planks. So yes, bark should be a simple by-product for me.

The fact we can also harvest bark should more be an add, and dead trees in real lose bark with time, while living trees still have it.

I highly agree with you.

It baffles me on some of comments you’ve made. Don’t post on here if you disagree… what are you 10? If you put something on a forum, in general discussion, it’s open to anyone. Now to get back on topic. I have always seen it fit for wood to be broken down, either into sticks or bark, maybe both. I will usually take a pick, it works better than the pickaxe, and I will find dry river beds. You don’t have to use starmetal or obsidian, hardened steel works well. They did recently fix the drop rate on it. It was like gold, servers were using it as currency. I give enough and it seems like the majority on this thread also get enough, I think you are not using a good strategy. That’s all.

Or I don’t want to waste my time traveling to a specific spot just to harvest bark. The way you got it was dry river beds with the dry dead trees, right? Well what if I’m not conveniently located to near such a river bed? As for the comment that I made that you brought up was when I was getting frustrated at how some people just kept telling me the same thing over and over again. All the while they were not suggesting anything new. It is true that this discussion is a general discussion, but I also have this discussion tagged as suggestions and testing. Some people were not getting and seeing the other tags. I also didn’t want to waste more of my time just making the same discussion with a different main tag. There’s nothing really strategic about gathering resources, it’s all about point allocations into your attributes and equipment, nothing more than that. Besides coming up with new ideas or improvements on harvesting bark will benefit everyone where ever they build their base, not just those who build close to a dry river bed. People shouldn’t have to travel to certain locations in the desert just to get the bark they need. Especially when bark can be gathered from any tree. This is the point I’m trying to have people understand when they read this discussion.

It is the same as any resource @BigRedBeast, Just like you have to travel for obsidian, brimstone, star metal, gold, silver, insert any other resource here. There are ok places to get it and then there are awesome places to get it. If you aren’t willing to travel to get anything then you are in for a bad time on this game.

Wait until you need vines lol. I go out to the swamp and farm the small trees that spawn there. Most of them give vines a few give wood but if using a pickaxe they all give bark. You can collect a lot of vines and a lot of bark with very little wood getting in the way. Then go back to base toss the vines in the derketo alter to start your bread for feasts and put the horde of bark where needed.

What you are wanting is to be catered to, that is what ruins games like this. It is meant to be a struggle, you are in the exiled lands. Everything isn’t meant to be easy to collect or the exiles lands would be a paradise where everyone would hang out.

If you want to harvest bark or anything else that isn’t in your area build a small shelter there and place a mat.

Then I just harvest until I’m full, wearing the backpack and not much else, dropping every thing I don’t need and commit suicide recover at my base, unload, commit suicide again and repeat until I have a weeks supply and then I move my pad to the next area I want to harvest.

Lately I’ve been making steel so I go to an area that has both iron ore and brimstone.

I wish that leather had more uses, I throw it away by the thousands, just to make tar.

I’d like to see a Tarpit, where you can just harvest tar. That would cut the need for so much bark to start with.

You can place coal in a fluid press and get tar that way. It’s 5 to 1 but coal is easy to harvest in large amounts.

This is an option…but on most private servers this ‘feature’ is disabled. Everyone corpse runs ‘Old School’. :smiley:
:thinking: Then again…a lot of private servers we take care of this in the downloadable mod. :grin::joy::smile:

Moss, u can’t just farm n remove bracelet then respawn! Its u that is being catered to ffs, removing bracelet leaves all ur stuff behind

all the bark guides, seem to work for few ppl, that don’t build large and/or don’t create big thrall army. I don’t want to run rivers, or walk few min one way to get measly 500 or so bark from dead trees…i need thousands of bark, and so far, i have thousands… of resin… thousands of wood/shaped wood, and guess what? 0 bark…so yes…bark drop should be increased, or be a byproduct like some ppl mentioned…cheers

1 Like

The pickaxe does a good job on getting bark from any tree.

Of course you’re gonna get a hell of a lot more wood chopping trees than bark or branches but it’s still viable.

one tree with a pickaxe usually nets me 70 wood, 10 bark, 10 branches.

Find any forested area near you, and go nuts with the pickaxe if you don’t want to wander far away from your base. Drop stacks of wood as necessary.

I already pointed that out, but OP conveniently ignores such logic. I also pointed out how easy it is to get thousands of bark, but he can’t be bothered to walk. Everyone is wasting their time here.

I find it easier to bake bread in the furnace, but that is a good use for vines as well.
Just takes seeds, fiber and leavening agent. You can get enough materials for hundreds of bread in a few minutes.

The highlands seem like paradise to me! Has everything I need to live my days eating exotic meat and drinking honeyed wine.

1 Like

He’s likely playing on a private server where they have drop loot on death disabled. I fail to see the point of playing a survival game when you set it to easy mode, but that’s the way some people like it.

Because some people play this game as a “crafting/exploration” game, not as a survival game as it is originally designed to.be.
You can set everything to normal and not easy but still keeping your inventory on death. You can find some different challenges in other aspects of the game. Everyone is different and it’s good the way it is :wink:
And i’m one of these peeps :smiley:

2 Likes

I suppose so. If there’s no penalty for death then it’s really not a survival game anymore, just crafting/exploring like you said. That one setting alone puts it on easy mode, even if you ramp up other difficulty settings.

But it’s all good, I don’t have to understand why people enjoy the things they do. I never would even if I tried.

1 Like

what happens when you need 4-5k bark, you will be there for hours

Sorry I forgot that the reason I picked the server that I did was so I didn’t have to go and find my body every time I died. LOL

Didn’t occur to me that everyone can’t do this, I remember corpse running back when I first played the game, didn’t want to do that all over again…

1 Like