John Carter of Mars 'Exiles' Game

John Carter of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs is an open IP, at least for the first several books.

Leveraging all the underlying work for Conan Exiles, it might be worth the effort to make a Barsoom Exiles game set on Mars, of course. Except for art assets, it could almost be the same game. Exceptions to this would be rifles or other projectile or ray-type weapons, and the flying craft, which could certainly be limited to altitude and speed. The flying craft might be an adequate replacement to teleporting, slower than instant, but faster than running on foot by ~2x. Even without either of those additions, it would still be a great experience.

Otherwise, the world of Barsoom is full of many different biomes, ruins, cities, races, creatures, and monsters.

I suggest this because, simply, I would love to play and role-play in such a world.

Thanks

P.S. The John Carter Movie was pretty decent IMO, but there is an entire book written about how this movie was wanted for so long, and then when it was made, the marketing was utterly flubbed. “John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood”
A review of the book by a fan of the movie:
Instant find search string: “geeksofdoom, gods of hollywood”

2 Likes

Love those stories. Read through a few times over the years. Hated the first movie - the one with Traci Lords. It was gawd awful. The newer John Carter of Mars was really entertaining for me and everyone I know that saw it.

You are right. Could be a great reskin of the game, but likely appealing mostly to old folks that have read the stories.

3 Likes

I know right! I’ll never understand why it totally bombed at the box office. It may not be a cinematic masterpiece, but on par with or above your average “superhero flick” ? Absolutely.

As for the OP, sure, it can only be a matter of time before that IP is picked up by someone (again).

4 Likes

Yay, I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought the John Carter movie was fun.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.