Lack of Story Telling. Does anyone else care about this?

Wow, this is very good new, where did you get this info?? Also have anything been said about the empty short dungeons by any change?

Thanks!

Well A i got yanked under the surface by a crocodile about a week ago so thats how i know thats a thing. They lunge up out of the water XD Learned that crap the hard way lol. The animals were recently added to the spawn list of admin commands, Giant piranha being one of the addition. That come up to about your knee. I actually spawned those buggers in on my single player but they didn’t seem to do anything yet. The jump was in the last update if you jump around it isn’t that weird static jump anymore you actually land like you normally would . As for combat changes there has been a slow but steady trend of changes making the creatures more comprehensive for example the thralls are way smarter but now also have a line of sight meaning you can sneak up on them. (Also some of these things have been mentioned in their twitch streams.) As for javelin fighting i found that one out by myself thought it was kinda cool now i carry one for the purpose of killing people who run into water. As for them empty dungeons they have mentioned they are working of 5 different dungeons that are all in different stages of development.

1 Like

Sadly for the meatier content we may be in for a bit of a wait. They are hard at work fixing bugs which is a good thing its just slow going with other things.

1 Like

Yeah, the bug fixing should be obviously priority number 1. I just hope they keep these light immersion details as focus over the more PVP focused stuff. I mean PVP is great since day 1. Story telling, AI and world building, not so much.

I like what you’re saying and it would be great if a lot of what you suggest could be incorporated into the game. But let’s be candid here. We’re talking about a developer that can’t seem to put out a patch without breaking more things than the patches fix.
It’s mind boggling to me that here we are 8 months post official release and we’re still dealing with so many issues in the game. I’ve never experienced this with any other game I’ve ever had except one that was made by a little independent team. To add to that, tens of thousands of players have already bailed out of this game since it’s release according to Steam Charts and many of the reviews on Steam Charts are less than stellar. They may have left for various reasons, but they’re gone nonetheless.
I believe at this point Funcom would have to find a way to do some real magic to bring those people back or attract new ones. I, for one, hope they do turn it around and make it a game as great as it’s potential, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

2 Likes

I’ve always said, Funcom should hired an outsource QA team just focused on finding (and even fixing) bugs. On Funcom’s defense, survival multiplayer of this scale is experimental ground. But I know what you mean, there are bugs that have been there since the days of early access. however that’s another subject.

I think that it’s important that Funcom turn over to this type of content, I do believe that with a more alive world and some interesting NPC mechanics and dungeons, people could get back just for the solo and co-op portion of the game. But let’s see. In any case even if slow it’s good to see that Funcom is still around to make new content.

I tried the crocodile thing :frowning: didn’t work out, I took the crocodile into the water, the combat musci disappeared and even if I struck it with a Javaline he didn’t attacked me :frowning:

Like was listed above survival MMOs are over a decade old. Conan Exiles is in its infancy.
It took Blizzard 5 years just to get folks to come back. Vanilla WoW was way worse than Conan every thought of being.

Every year Conan Exiles will get better. They learned from Age Of Conan now to cower to the PvPers, which depopulated the PvEers and then the PvPers.
AoC is still a great MMO, its just has a dead population. Once you get so high, there was not enough high players to do some quests.

1 Like

I still think npc’s and thralls could have random speech/gossip as you and them pass by each other, the ones with conversation could give treasure hints, even quests to take him back a personal lost iten, this with random patrols, and a bit more depth to npc ai, we will see Conan Exiles skyrocket.

1 Like

I love story telling in games (when it’s good, anyway). Be it a tight story or a sprawling, pick-your-own-bits one. I don’t mind a very loose, sandbox-style story (obviously, otherwise I wouldn’t be here!) like Mount and Blade or - indeed - Conan Exiles.

That said, the NPCs in Conan, whether your thralls or the neutral ones in, say, Sep City could definitely do with a bit more life. But that’s not just about the story.

2 Likes

Hello.
Please take a look at some other open world “crafting + survival” games to name a few big ones :

• Minecraft : No story so far
  • 7 Days To Die : No story too
  • ARK Survival Evolved : Minimal story, non-mandatory
  • No Man’s Sky : Minimal Story, non-mandatory

I find this logical, in a survival game, your main goal is to survive --> how long can you handle this ?

Story telling games are like movie watching. Unless you make a blunder, there is no chance you will have to restart a new game until you have played the full story.
In a story game, your main goal is to watch the story.

Not the same game types.

Eh, if Conan Exiles was a “hardcore” game, ie one death and out, I’d be more inclined to agree that there was an essential difference.

As it is, we “respawn” and continue on more or less as we were. And yes there’s a story for why that happens, other than the obvious game mechanics requirements!

1 Like

Are you sure? Or are you just trollin’? :eyes: …sounds like trollin’…

Huh thats weird i was attacked last night. But i didn’t have a crocodile chacing me it just launched itself out of the water from out of no where. The ones that do that might spawn only in the water.

1 Like

… Again… In the OP I’m not talking about a story in the sense of central plot. It’s about storytelling elements (I’m patient, I don’t mind go through this a 34347358 time). I’ll… again… explain the bets I can.

• Every piece of architecture from the dead civilization in Conan Exiles is visual storytelling.
  • Every big dungeon like is storytelling by level design.
  • Every piece of info in the form of scrolls, books and friendly NPCs is storytelling.
  • Every fight that makes you change strategy or even escape is storytelling by combat.
  • Every tribe and enclave has the potential to have storytelling elements around them. The same for every acción in the game, eating, sleeping, building this game is a perfect base ground to have a fest of storytelling elements WITHOUT HAVING A CENTRAL, HANDHELD PLOT.
4 Likes

Something i just wrote in the Yamatai discussion thread, i think a great story element would for some of the named thralls to escape, and new named thralls be created in different spawn areas. Named thralls should over time be able to figure out the quest:)

1 Like

I understand what the OP is saying. There should be more npc interaction outside of grinding on the game. Right now, NPX;s at level 60 are more or less just material node that fight back…slighlty.

Would be great for an update to have maybe the Army of the undead maybe be surrounded around Asagarth, as they have “captured the city” and now you must deal with them when farming. The prison in Set city could have random spawns of different named. Maybe create the prison as destructible in game walls that respawn (like Star metal Shells). Imagine breaking into a prison not knowing which thrall is in there. Could take have 30000 HP,and you have to blow off the cell door. That would be a unique and immersive way to capture thralls. The respawn could be 2 minutes, so once in you must hurry, or you could get locked in if out of bombs. Areas of the prison could only be accessed by double jump (funnel a player to use different set ups when grinding). MAybe there are underwater entrances that require you to take breathing potions. very easy to implement ways of adding imeersive gameplay with a sort of story behind it.

2 Likes

These are wonderfull ideas. Yes, I was never talking about adding a central plot to the game (altough having a campaign in which you are CONAN arriving at the exile lands before the multiplayer game would be awesome, but that’s not what this thread is about), just little elements here and there to expand upon the immersion an world building.

I think a small think that could be made is having some sort of faction system with the different enclaves and tribes of the exile lands, I think it would be cool, even for PVP to have NPC ally factions, even maybe make the exile landsever changing, like if you allied your self with the darfari tribes you could take the pirate ship on behalf of them and now the pirate ship would spawn just darfaris and the black hand pirates would try to take it back from time to time (like NPC vs NPC purges kind of thing).

Maybe you have to pay tribute to certain tribes to avoid them from attacking your base, then the purge would have a dinamic story on it’s own. Maybe you could see random tribes or enclaves froming across the lands because you attacked a spesific group too much so they move camp.

I mean with the current base for the NPCs they have right now, the posibilities are endless. It just take a little imagination and a focus on rethinking and refining the elements that they already have instead of throwing new mechanics.

Same for the dungeons. One good example is the Sinner’s Refuge. This was one of the first dungeons I entered in early access, is full of humans and is very dark, it’s quite beautiful but again, at the end you arrive at a set pillar and a bunch of nothing, no set priest, no small puzzle to solve, no nothing. No story telling, just a corridor with enemies.

Every single cave and dungeon in the game could have an overhaul of just little story telling elements to flesh out the world without going into quest territory or central plot.

The escaping thralls is a good idea, I would go a little bit further and add some sort of moral system to your population, and after some escapes, if you don’t boost morale they could even try to betray you and take over your city of castle, if they succeed the city you build could then became an NPC base and a named thrall could be it’s leader and now your enemy.

Again, the possibilities are endless when you start to toy with the base mechanics the game already has.

1 Like

I agree. One mechanic not used with human NPC’s is the aggressive nature against one another. We already have animals fighting, why not the different factions fighting on occasion.
Imagine running thru set city with your follower thrall being the Berserker. He would pick a fight with every NPC, and they would would attack him on sight:). But come thru with a Stygian, and the only attacks would be initiated by you.

2 Likes