Lagspike on every login with mods [last confirmed build: 104617/18962]

Game mode: [Online private]
Type of issue: [Performance]
Server type: [only tested on PvP but probably PvE too]
Region: [Happens regardless of server region]

The issue only happens when you have mods running on the server and seems to be more severe the larger the mods are. I’m still bringing this up as a bug to be fixed by Funcom because this doesn’t seem to be something that can be fixed in the mod itself but rather something inherent to the way mods are loaded into the game. The following line seemed to be indicative of the lagspike happening on the server:

LogNet: UNetDriver::TickDispatch: Very long time between ticks. DeltaTime: 7.48, Realtime: 7.48. SteamNetDriver_0

Whenever someone logs in to the server there’s this lagspike, that can become very long and noticeable with certain mods (e.g. Emberlight), during which instructions are still sent to the server but the server itself is standing still. That means if I’m fighting NPCs or world bosses when the lagspike happens, they don’t continue to hit me but all my queued up attacks on them are executed by the time the server resumes. It also means that interacting with objects is impossible during the duration of the lagspike but any queued up commands are likewise executed after it ends (eg. opening and closing a box several times).

I’ve tested this with someone else on two different servers (Nitrado and a dedicated server with Core i7-4770, 32GB RAM) with the same result. We tried different mods in combination and alone, which resulted in more or less severe lagspikes depending on the size of the mod (Pippi [880454836], Primal Armors [1427509507], Gardener [895167522], Unlockables Plus [877108545], Sir Vival’s Tableware [896237988] and Cupcakes Aesthetics [1391805405]). In that case Primal Armors, by far the largest of the mods, caused the biggest lagspike but it was still there even when that mod was deactivated. We also tested it on an empty database (literally just two naked characters and a box to test the server reaction on) with the same results.

I understand that you can’t guarantee mods to be working and that you’ll probably want to concentrate on fixing bugs in the vanilla game, but this seems to be a problem not so much with mods themselves as with mod support in general and as such should be considered a vanilla feature.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Install a large mod (e.g. Emberlight [1369802940] or Primal Armors [1427509507])
  2. Have one person log in and go to something interactable (door, chest, crafting station)
  3. Have someone else log in and at the same time start opening and closing the interactable
  4. A lagspike should happen accompanied by the above mentioned line in the logs.
2 Likes

Can confirm, it happens every time someone logs in. During “low” times, when not many people come in and out, it’s not much of an issue. However at peak times when we have someone logging in quite often, it can lead to a lot of issues (losing someone from your sight, horrible death, etc.) :frowning:

I installed a system monitoring software on the server hosting the CE server and noticed that there’s a huge spike in I/O activity peaking at 370 MB/sec reading operation that coincides with people logging in. I’d wager this is what’s causing the lag spike. Something in the code makes the game load that amount of data each time someone logs in and stalls all other activities while it does.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.