Meteors no longer have smoke trail

This happened on the PS4, too.

2 Likes

Hmm, I was curious so I looked at it in the devkit.
I think this was an intentional removal as there is no particle system anywhere in the meteor BP, so it’s not a case of it accidentally not showing up, but rather it being non-existent.

Weird :man_shrugging: Either way, if that’s the case then consider my voice added to the feedback of “It looked better with smoke!”

4 Likes

It was also easier to spot them from some distance.

7 Likes

Happening to me as well.

Platform: Steam
Issue Type: Graphics
Game Mode: Online Private
Server Type: PvP
Map: Exiled Lands
Server Name: Del Rio Bronzebeard
Mods: None

1 Like

Discovered this too, but since I play on a modded map, I did not make a bug report.
So @Sarealac, it is not happening in a specific place, but anywhere, even on modded maps.

For me it is not a huge deal - heck I like it more, because seeing their smoke from very far away, even further than the render distance of the foliage (depending on the settings - I guess settings have no effect on that smoke) is kind of cheesy for me. But I can confirm it is happening, and just wanted to help pinpoint the issue.

1 Like

I can definitely double-confirm that this was an intentional removal :slight_smile:
Not only is the component missing and the relevant code removed, but the particle system used was literally cut out of the packaged game so it’s no longer even available :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m on official 8054, Siptah and my private server and they have not smoked on any server i’ve been on in any spawn location since 3.0.

1 Like

It would be really difficult for them when the smoke in question is no longer physically in the game, official or not :joy:

1 Like

We have made multiple bug reports and forum post on this since 3.0 hit test. There is no possible way to give you more info then the reams we already have.

This right here is a prime example of the issue with funcom. We jump up and down and scream about bugs point them out tell you how to make them happen can get them to occur with predictable regularity. Yet the only thing funcom can manage to do is feed us placations.

Look, right here, players can find your bugs better then you. Maybe you need to hire moders and fire your supposed developmental crew.

1 Like

No, I think that’s not the case in this instance @DeaconElie

I think they simply removed this one on purpose :man_shrugging: and it was never a bug.

Either the designers decided they do not want that anymore - because let’s be fair, it doesn’t make sense for meteors to be smoking forever in a frozen climate and it was probably easier to just cut it out completely than to start querying their age from the server every time someone approaches and make them only smoke for the players if they’re within the first few minutes… - or it went as part of some optimization to cut down on particle effects (though this isn’t really where I would start seeing as there aren’t meteors all over the place)

But, I think it was done on purpose. Obviously customer service staff might not be up to date on every tiny change in the game that the devs make and they still have to follow through and gather as much info as possible to file a bug report, so I wouldn’t hold it against them. They’ll put it on a list and it’ll most likely get a “not a bug” tag and that’ll be it :slight_smile:

Based on feedback though there’s a good chance they’ll put it back… or not… up to them really :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No they just removed “all” particle effects, smoke trail plume included. The effects they used were just basic programs that come with the devkit. I would like to see better particles or at least originally made by FC.

1 Like

In actuality an iron meter can be hot enough to smoke for days.

But following that logic line I can tear the entire world down. Seriously push the “realistic meter smoke” in a complete fantasy world?

It takes days to die of thirst not minutes.
You can’t just pull grass and make clothes.
You can’t just tie a rock to a stick and have an ax.
And then you ain’t going to be cutting down a tree with it.
Crocodiles can swim.
Crocodiles are quite able to attack in the water.
Unboiled river water is a good way to get a myriad of parasites and diseases.

Do I need to go on? And that is just in the first 10 minutes of game play.
I just don’t think some dev was setting there thinking “you know what this game needs for realism? No meteor smoke”. I’m more inclined to think the I word.

My fires and torches still have smoke. Still see rain and snow. Seems the only particle effect removed was the meteors.

2 Likes

Easier one to notice → all the campfires have no plume.

Well… I was not the one who removed it :man_shrugging:

I am merely telling you that it’s not there… so it’s not a case of it “not working”… but missing, because it was removed… I obviously don’t know the actual reason for it, I was merely speculating under the assumption that they had to have one as generally people don’t just randomly remove stuff without a reason.

But a bug would be if it was still there but because of some issue, not showing up, like the invisible NPCs for example… that one is a bug, the NPCs are still there, but not visible…
The smoke of the meteors has been deleted though so there is nothing to even contain a bug… the actual component was removed from the meteor actors… sections of code were deleted leaving behind giant empty comment boxes… and the particle system that the component used to reference was also removed from the packaged game :slight_smile:

It’s not a case of a tiny typo, someone put in purposeful effort to clean it up entirely.

1 Like

Campfires and such all still smoke for me. Only the meteors don’t.

1 Like

Two words that will sink a point :wink:

If they did it on purpose why not just say so?

because they rarely ever do in similar cases?..

and no, those won’t sink anything, since that wasn’t the point… that was me trying to explain the FACTS that I found, which are not based on speculation or assumption… like… which part of “purposeful removal” is giving you trouble?
Why they did it?.. I have no idea… but it’s done, that I am 100% certain of… and it was surgically removed as if meteors never ever smoked…

1 Like

I didn’t place a campfire to look at. I meant the static campfires, like those already near a camp. Same?

No, those don’t have it (I’m looking at the blueprints in the devkit not ingame).
The player placed ones still have it but the static ones from the NPC camps don’t so it’s quite possible that it’s the second version of my guesses from above and they went as part of an optimization process, still on purpose ofc

1 Like

The reasoning behind it :wink:
They could have removed smoke from everything else in game and I wouldn’t have noticed, but the plum was how I found meteors.

1 Like