[Mod] Exiled land improved

How long did it take you to design, program, and implement all of this?

Iā€™ve been on it for ten days, working a few hours a day. But itā€™s not that complicated from the moment I know which file to modify. The longest is to test if everything works well. The Devkit is really greedy in memory, the loading times are very long to open assets and to launch a simulation of the game.

Now let me give you an example. Here is the ā€œFemale_VoicesSelectionsā€ files actualy in the game.

When you open it, you can see there actualy only 4 voices activated (Strong, Desparate, Savage, Stoic) but there are 8 female voices in total. My question is : why the hell did they only activated half of the voices? ALL voices works !
The only thing to do is give a VoiceName to the other voices on the following rows and a SoundCue which allows you to preview the voices when you click on the buttons.

That what I did. BUT, even if you activate all the voices, in the game you can only see 4 voices, because the other buttons are hide under the menuā€¦ So I tried to change voice menu and submenu size, BUT the Devkit crash everytime I try to edit menu size data.

Another solution is to change the size of the voice buttons. If you open the ā€œW_cc_VoiceButtonā€ file, you can edit the length and width of the buttons :

I just halved the width (30 instead of 60) of the buttons so that it can display 8 voices instead of 4 in the voices menu.

I can show you a last one : let me show you the hardened Steel bow data in the ā€œItemTableā€ file :

As you can see, the light and heavy hit have the same damage data !! WTF? Not only bow, but ALL the weapons in the game. I can understand for melee weapons, because heavy attacks cause one or more debuff. But that does NOT make any sense for bow, because the heavy shot is slower, consumes more stamina for nothing more !
Thatā€™s why I doubled the damage value of heavy attacks for all the bow of the game, as it was before the combat system revamp.

8 Likes

very true and very interesting as well, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Mod update is online :

Ymir religion :

• Ymir altar upgrades now need Black ice instead of ice shards.
  • Ice and Ice shard arrows now give you more Zeal when you craft it on altar (1 Zeal per Shard).
  • You now need 5 shards instead of 10 to craft 10 Ice shard arrows.
1 Like

Resources :

• Added brimstones and crytal in the Dragon Mouth cave
  • Added brimstones and coal in the Crevice (Descent of Dagon)
  • Added gossamer eggs near Barrow king entrance.

Now all biomes have brimstone, crystal and gossamer spot (I know about underwater brimstones in Buccaneer Bay, but itā€™s annoying and stupid to mine under water).

1 Like

Pls get a discord going, would be so much easier to keep track of changes and perhaps have a more open disscussion, would be nice not have to go here everytime. :smiley:

Most of the changes I really like others well I can live with them BUT:

Well there the mod died totally for me. I agree that bows needs to be buffed somehow this was is not the right way. Now, in my opinion, they are way to powerful.

1 Like

You can go on the Steam comment page if you need. :blush:

Not so powerfull. Letā€™s take an example. A flawless star metal great sword (65 damage) and flawless star metal bow (22 damage) + star metal arrow (20 damage). Bow heavy attack deal (22x2) +20 = 64, pretty same damage as the 2h sword, but bow is slower than 2h sword.
In 10 seconds, you have time to shot 4 times with bow : (64x4)/10 = 25,6 DPS
In 10 seconds, 8 hits with 2h sword : (65x8)/10 = 52 DPS

3 heavy shots to kill a crocodile with the best bow and arrow of the mod is too powerfull? I dont think so.

2 Likes

But you totally forget something in your calculations, from a strict balance point of view. Once you hit someone/something with a 2h sword they are able to retaliate, they are within reach for their attack. Bow on the other hand you get at least to heavy attacks before the enemy are close enough to attack you.

Take the purge as an example: With your changes you can simply take high ground on your base and do 2h, why on earth would you do anything else?

While thinking about this my guess is that you simply changes the base damage, right? Remember that bow get increased damage from both accuracy and strength so bow would actually do more damage then the 2h sword.

As I said I would like to see bows buffed somehow but not this way. Making a range weapon same damage close to melee weapons makes the ranged weapon to powerful.

For my star metal example, with 50 STR 2h : 130 damage. With 50 ACC bow : 98 damage for light attack, 98+22 for heavy : 120 damage. The heavy extra damage finally gives a bonus of + 20% damage with a build ACC 50 and the best stuff of the game, I really do not see how itā€™s too strong. Sure a heavy shot in the head, hurt more than 2h, but itā€™s a bow feature and you will certainly do unique headshot at the beginning of the fight before aggro on a human target, because itā€™s too hard to shot in the head in this game when a human is running are attacking you in melee. Easier against big monsters and stupid NPC stucked below a foundation. But itā€™s not a overpowered bow issue, itā€™s a IA issue.

2 Likes

Well if you donā€™t see a problem with a ranged weapon being more equally powerful to best melee, well thatā€™s your problem I guess.

Problem I see that why should I ever go melee when I can do same damage at range.

But I guess we never agree about this and itā€™s your mod and I donā€™t have to use it. Just wanted to express my concern.

Have a nice day!

2 Likes

Are there only specific servers the mods apply to?

Solo and Dedicated server.

You only consider the basic damage of the weapons to assert that. Damage are the same for bow heavy attack and 2h without any attribute point. Yes, it mean starting bows become usefull, but with a endgame build, melee still better than bow.

With my mod, even light attacks are more efficient than heavy, cause the attack speed is twice as fast as heavy attacks:
Star metal bow/arrow
In 10 seconds you can shot 8 arrows using left click, it mean (98x8)/10 = 78,4 DPS
In 10 seconds you can shot 4 arrows using right click : (120x4)/10 = 48 DPS

So the extra heavy damage buff is not outrageous. Itā€™s a markmanship, not the same use as a melee weapon.

You cant say that. Or we dont play the same game :

• Bow can not hit multiple targets with a single attack, melee can kill crowd around you with a single combo. How many shot/time you need to kill the same crowd with a bow?
  • Bow can not knockback/stunlock like melee weapon.
  • Bow can not break shield like axe.
  • it is almost impossible to launch a heavy attack with a bow while being hit in melee because of the slow attack speed. You will be pushed back.
  • You need to aim and you can easily miss a moving target, even at close range.

Itā€™s like comparing a sniper rifle with a shotgun and say : ā€œOMG sniper being more damage than shotgun on single target ! why should I use shotgun if I have a sniper rifle?ā€
Sure sniper will be better on single target, itā€™s the role of the sniper. But you cant use only the sniper, you will switch to shotgun in melee. Why? Because of the rate of fire and the effective range.

Itā€™s the same thing in Conan. Markmanship damage will be more powerful than a weapon that can kill 5-10 mobs in a single combo.
I let you imagine how many arrows and time it takes to kill the same number of mobs with a bow. If you still think that the bow is better than the sword I can not do anything for you anymore.

Last example I can give you with my mod with best bow/arrow of the game and 50 ACC :

To kill a Forgotten tribe Fighter lvl 2 :

• 6 light bow shots
    or
  • 4 heavy bow shots
    or
  • 3 headshots

2H star metal sword with 50 STR :

To kill a Forgotten tribe Fighter lvl 2 :

• 3 hits

Bows are so OP?

2 Likes

Itā€™s here you miss the whole point of bow get buff both from accuricy AND strength while sword only get buff from strength. Then you have the perks on top of that.

On top of how the actual stats affect the damage you have the perks: Yes bow even get the ā€œBrutal Strikes (each heavy attack now deals 25% more damage)ā€ from strength. However swords no not get that ā€œSteady Hands (all ranged and thrown weapons do 10% more damage)ā€ from accuracy. Another fun fact is that Eye for Injury (accuracy) and Salting the Wound (strength) stack sp you make a hell of a cripple with your bow making even easier to kill someone/thing before they even get close to you.

In all games slow single-target ranged weapons do more damage than fast multi-target weapons, why should it be different in Conan? 3 Headshots to kill a NPC is too powerfull? Really? In almost all other games you need 1, maybe 2 headshot if there a helmet, even in survival game with wooden handcraft bow.

Of course a slow aim single shot will do more damage than a 360Ā° instant move, thatā€™s the actual video game meta.
I tried to play bow with my mod before put it online, for me it the way it should be in the game. I didnt try every build, but I wont nerf the actual bow heavy hit buff because someone who didnt even try the mod, think itā€™s to powerfull. If I have some feedbacks about it, I will think to reduce the weapon +100% bonus to +75%.

1 Like

Yea an din all games raged, with good balance, do ranged weapons less damage then melee.

But as I said do as you want itā€™s your mod Iā€™m nor forced to play with it. If FunCom ever buff bows I hope there is nothing near this mod because then I would stop play Conan Exiles.

Sorry to chime in, but these line cracked me upā€¦ That is not good balance as you saidā€¦ lol Thatā€™s exactly whatā€™s wrong with MP these days, the fact that everything has to be ultra balanced or people complain.

The fact of life and historical evidence says that in fact, ranged weapons were more deadly than melee and that the fact that the bulk of melee forces were just protective lines trying to shield archers from harm while they did their job.

In any case, any balance that needs to happen is the fact that archers shouldnā€™t be able to be very mobileā€¦ in the actual battles that was because arrows were held in cases/boxes and they had to be near the stock of arrows to be able to shootā€¦ at least the kind of arrows that were used for war longbows.

ā€œBalanceā€ was achieved beause it TOOK literall years to train a archer while any peasant was able to get a weapon a be part of the melee forces with almost no training.

But besides all thisā€¦ balance for the sake of balance, or as you said ā€œgoodā€ balance (meaningā€¦ WoW idea of how warcraft should work lol) is inherently bad if it doesnā€™t respect common sense and some kind of historic background.

At least IMHO.

3 Likes

Well I would agree with you to 100% if this was a real life simulation of any kind. Thing is this is a fantasy game that eventually contain magic so why must there be ā€œsome kind of historic backgroundā€? And if so what historic background? The one here on earth or the history on Exiled Lands?

As this is a game there must be some kind of balance.

1 Like

Wellā€¦ they use the same historical weapons based on the same basic physics principlesā€¦ i.e. momentum, speed, forceā€¦ etc. And that opposing to armor also which also works the sameā€¦

And itā€™s based on R. E. Howard work which in turn itā€™s based on an fictitious alternate ancient pre-history of our own same worldā€¦ so, yeahā€¦ it makes sense to argue using realism based logic.

And weā€™re still pending on what the magic system will entailā€¦ Conan universe is very low magic and I hope it remains that wayā€¦ I can look past some fireballs or poisonous gas, but not much more than that :smile:

Even then, weā€™re not taliking about the base game hereā€¦ there are a LOTā€¦ and I mean a LOT of stuff wrong in this game already, and it has increased over the time since early accessā€¦

But instead weā€™re talking about a mod that alters tha game according to the authorā€™s viewā€¦ and mods are the last refugee for us, people who may want a more deeper and common sense experience than just kill each other mindlessly with no other reason thanā€¦ itā€™s just a game.

If MP and balancing will gonna dictate the future of the game, at least mods itā€™s where the interesting stuff is for a lot of people, myself included.

Trueā€¦ but what the word ā€œbalanceā€ entails should be left to the server owners that are the ones that decide which mods to install or not, IMO.

As I said, there are balance proposals that could make senseā€¦ itā€™s not just ā€œrange automatically does less damageā€, butā€¦ instead there are a lot of other options, like (and Iā€™m not talking about this mod here or this game even, but in-general):

1. Make arrow fly a bit slower so you can side step them more easily.
  2. Make NPCs be able to miss more if you keep on the move zig-zagging while aproaching.
  3. Make archers have to wait for stabilization after drawing the bow, you knowā€¦ like IRL.
  4. Make arrows cumbersome to carry in packs and require a box to hold them
  5. Make arrows able to be broken so close-quarter fighting will entail the risk of losing your ammo.
  6. Shields are already a full counter to archer builds completely negating them.
  7. Give melee fighters not using a shield a move that lets them close distance quickly to the archer (like some kind of charge moveā€¦)

Hope youā€™d understand from where Iā€™m coming from now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get it that the physics should be about the same but with that said itā€™s not necessary that same technologies will be developed. Just look at all the different bow technologies that was developed in out history. Just because we in Europe, Wales in particular, invented great bows donā€™t mean other parts of the world had good bows. Just look at Inca as one example, they did have bows but they where not good. Their at Atlatl was main missile weapon and had more penetrate power then their bows. Then we have the Asian continentā€¦ Well I donā€™t want to create a wall of text here but I think you get my point.

Itā€™s all about how yo interpenetrate the wold and what point of view you have.

As you said there is more ways the one to create ā€œbalanceā€ and as above what balance?