Momentum-based movement - Feedback thread

Hello, Exiles,

We went over community feedback regarding the latest update and discussed it with the rest of the team. It was clear that many of you felt strongly about the newest movement changes.
We also agree that we didn’t leave enough room for testing, which is something that we will work on improving.

The designers feel that the momentum feature is an essential part of the mount experience. However, while we’re keeping it in, we are also making adjustments based on your feedback.

This change will be part of a hotfix going out within the next few days. Please check out the adjustments once they are live and let us know how they feel.

This will also be discussed in our stream later today at 5pm CET. Make sure to tune in on either Twitch, Mixer, Steam or Twitter (Periscope).

We do appreciate all of you and thank you for your ongoing support and for being part of our community.

15 Likes

For all you people saying how your getting used to it think about what your saying. I know how you feel we love conan exiles,you cant bear the thought of never playing again right? I too have tried to force myself to like the new changes but cant. You shouldnt have to deal with this or force yourself to like it. Do not give it to this and they will change it. You are helping to keep these horrible changes. You deserve better.

3 Likes

So people who said that new movement of characters is a byproduct and the momentum-based movement was designed for mounts might’ve been correct after all.

I walk like a horse! :grin:

4 Likes

If this is what’s necessary for mounts, then mounts need to be removed forever.

Edit: I suppose this is karma.
All the players constantly asking for mounts, wanting mounts before everything else.

And then look how broken things get when mounts are added.

You got your wish.

4 Likes

Really just hoping that whatever you decide, the fixes come out before the holidays with enough time to hotfix any critical issues. Last Christmas, when many of us had lots of time off to play, the servers were crippled by constant crashes because there wasn’t enough time to patch the system issues.

Additionally, I’m hoping that you’ll leave the culling system off for the duration of the holiday. A long break like this would be the one opportunity many of us with work/school/families/jobs have to really get our houses in order ahead of such a drastic change.

2 Likes

There are no plans to enable the culling system this year :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Its a great feature, very unique and extremely polished, you did a great job, but of course the community is gonna cry since it also made the game harder. Most pare against anything makes a trivial game look slightly more difficult or learning new things, keep that in mind.

The whole momentum thing is extremely perfect, I dont know how you managed it, the mounted animations are particularly flawless, dont change it or it might look horrible. Mounted combat feels more and more fun as you try different tactics, charging, pushing through mobs, etc…

2 Likes

Perfect, thank you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much Tascha :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I am one of those that was a bit doubtful in the first couple of days during testlive, but it grew on me and I came to love it once I found out how much better it felt than the old hit, hit, hit… roll to safe distance… rinse and repeat
The fighting suddenly got more interesting and challenging again instead of me being able to have a conversation with wife while I was fighting mobs and bosses :grin:
While I do like the momentum I agree that some adjustment can make it a better experience for all, so I am looking forward to see what you have in store for us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I find the movement completely annoying and has had the effect of losing two of the people I just got into the game… It is very slow and clunky now what I wanted or even expected… there is no fluidness to the game now… I have logged in once to see how bad it was… I have a private server and once it runs out of paid time I am done… game is no longer fun to play

4 Likes

I won’t speak for others like you seem to do, but I actually like it and so does some of my old battle friends that have returned, one of them actually said “The game have gotten teeth again” :slight_smile:
I didn’t force myself to like it, actually I was doubtful but it grew on me during testlive :slight_smile:
There will always be changes that we don’t particularly like, but those that love the game will find ways to adapt, I know I have, otherwise I wouldn’t have been here since early access :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some of the changes are unrealistic, obviously neither was the last system but since this one is a realism change it falls short in some aspects. The dodge is too pitiful, I feel like one of those guys in the dog safety suit, you can barely move and won’t get far if on the ground, the best way to fix is to slightly increase the distance moved, the current is like rolling against a treadmill, you don’t go near as far as the animation suggests. Jumping is so far the biggest issue, it’s too momentum based, it’s possible to lean into your jump and go farther than a hop, to fix it just make the jump while sprinting go farther than normal as a base and have it reach the max from the new starting point. Another concept is in the agility perk that was altered change it to again make dodges go farther, not as far as the old version and make the animation longer to match. Acceleration is a thing and it would do to make someones armor level effect how quickly they reach max speed, it is a bit much on the low end so maybe set the lighter levels get faster earlier and set the current as the heavy armor acceleration, maybe slightly slower, but only slightly.

I’ve been trying to get use to it… I just can’t.

Its such pain to move in short distances, spend so much time at home moving about sorting items after coming back from long time out in field.

Again… its neat its realsim…but 1 checkbox of realism and rest are still checked as gameplay. just doesnt work out.

6 Likes

May I suggest that the dev team takes a look at how people play now with the momentum based movement system rather than listening to the voices here?

As far as I understood the idea was to make every move more comitted in combat. This totally works better now than before and I think the new movement system nailed it. You can not outrun and dodge every attack anymore and have to think a little bit on what you do before engaging in combat.

PvP encounters are much more deadly than they used to be before.

I personally think most people complain about the new movement system because the game isn’t as easy as it was before. Eventually we all get used to it and adjust. Give it a chance.

This game is unplayable. For me and others. Not only because of the motion sickness you get now but also because you ruined climbing, harvesting and fighting completly. Bassicaly all major stuff that makes fun in this game. And yes, I say ruined, because animations are way off now, npc behavior does not fit to the characters new movement system, including pets and thrall behavior. You knew exactly that Conan was not designed for the momentum as it is and yet you indroduced it just to get the horses out. You didn´t even took the time to make it right. And you still wonder why people think you fail your own game.

1 Like

Thing is, tons of us don’t play PvP at all, and even most PvPers I talk with like to remind me that they spend 90% of their time doing the same activities we do in PvE. I’m all for the PvP crowd having nice things, but not at the expense of everyone else’s enjoyment.

7 Likes

There’s no “we all”. You will adjust. I, well, I have ESO on hold, maybe will go back to it after that Conan hiatus. So please, don’t speak on my behalf, I don’t appreciate it. :smile:

I’m all right with challenge, but not when it comes from artificially forcing me to move like a horse.

8 Likes

I agree with you 100%, Thyl.

The devs really have taken for granted the simultaneous commitment that I – and many others – have shown to this game, as well as my largesse in overlooking the ubiquitous glitches and problems this game has had from launch.

A relatively small, but dedicated playerbase, is not a population of guinea pigs where you can overhaul the combat system without warning or testing for no purpose other than subjective reasons on the part of some dev. I bought one game, and now it is entirely another.

This is truly the last straw. I can deal with the rolling now, but unless movement goes back to the way it used to be, I am done. It is unbelievably irritating dealing with the ponderous startup / slowdown / directional changes of this momentum “feature” knowing that somebody subjectively made that change without feedback or significant testing.

I can deal with babysitting frustrating thrall AI and innumerable quality of life issues that will never be fixed, plus the things they break every time they run a patch (like the crafting station scrolling issues, thrall / player portrait stretching, overlap of status effects with hunger / thirst / encumbrance indicators). But this is it.

EDIT: fixed typo / incomplete thought.

1 Like

I quoted this because it was flagged??? Very petty. Nothing in it seems off topic, doesn’t attack an individual, and is well stated. And it may be sarcastic (but doesn’t seem that way to me), but it is a normal post. We have a flag troll running loose now.

2 Likes

While I didn’t flag it (and trust me I’d have no problem owning up to it if I had), I can kinda see why it was flagged. It basically calls the entire community a bunch of crybabies if they don’t immediately embrace any and all changes, with a side order of “just git gud”.

7 Likes