Poll: What ONE thing would increase your activity in SWL?

I’m also looking forward to Baldur’s Gate 3. The people behind Divinity: Original Sin are making it so I think it’s going to be really good.

And of course, WoW Classic is coming in August. I can’t wait to finally see the game as it was pre-Cataclysm. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I played towards the end of BC, a few months before the launch of WotLK. I didn’t get to see a lot of BC, most of my experience was relatively vanilla. It was my first MMO, and, looking back, the best levelling experience I ever had in an MMO.

You’ll get to see a lot of the game world, mostly because of running to and from places to do things that nowadays you don’t need to go to specific places for. It helped in the immersion of your role, though, the classes felt more defined and unique that way. Class-specific quest chains were a lot more important back then.

Professions mattered more, too. This helped you feel more useful to other players, along with adding a certain level of immersion to your character. It also helped socialization - at times you were reliant on other players of different professions. Sometimes, because of your profession, you were reliant on other players (for instance, having to run a certain dungeon in order to get a certain recipe). It made for a more cohesive playerbase.

That’s one thing I always felt was lacking in TSW and more especially SWL - crafting. It’s amazing how something so seemingly mundane, which we take for granted (no salt directed towards the OP, but just to prove my point, crafting isn’t on the list/poll here) can have such a drastic impact on immersion and socialization.

Crafting is content, too. Sorry if I derailed the thread a bit, but that side-note might bring it back full-circle.

Anyways, cheers, hope you have a blast in Classic. Something tells me you will :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks. Your writeup there has only made me more excited. I know it’s going to be excellent. :smiley:

I think you forgot a new type of content: Epic cache keys!!!

1 Like

that key,as its description,may not worthy.Because 2000 aurums =10+ normal cache keys sry my math stupid.And dont forget cache keys give distillates.You are literatly give up 10+x dis for a higher chance of purples,atention,its just higher chance not garanteed because outfits and sprints etc. also consider max drop level.
But I may test that tomorrow after I charging some more aurum.Not sure how it actualy Works.

1 Like

I really want to see what happens next with the storyline that they were hinting at in the Kongo. New achievements would not be a bad thing, but those of us that completed the achievements during the last megaversary are mostly getting anima shards.

2 Likes

Yes new achievements would have been nice. I feel like this may have been one of the first events without some new event related achievements… Or well anything new that wasn’t sitting in a cash shop. But well I wont speak to much on my feelings towards that. For new people I’m sure its a great time at least.

The current system that splits player into 10 freaking sets is not sustainable in any case.

3 Likes

Hell, that wasn’t sustainable at launch, even according to the vague approximations of numbers Funcom has shared regarding the dungeon-playing population, which is a small percentage of the total player base. To further restrict it by creating ten tiers is… Yeah.

And then tripling down on it with the bloody Occult Defense levels is mindboggling.

2 Likes

Yeah, no. It was sustainable early on because everyone was grouped up in terms of IP progression. Plus if numbers had stayed as high as they were at launch, we’d have a lot more people running around, and even the percentage running dungeons would have been a healthier group.

Dividing it into 10 tiers was a bad plan though, no argument there!

OD being tripled is debateable. Given that you are only limited by how much you can complete in there, and the fact that the waves keep on going, that’s less about the tiering. If you’re thinking about the tiers vs waves, it’s only 2 waves per tier until 20, then it gets a bit confused after that!

1 Like

OD is fine. You’re only held back by your ability to complete waves. All your IP does here is give you a head start at the beginning.

On this note its not so much the amount of tiers in dungeons that’s the issue but rather the IP restrictions imo. It made sense early on to avoid power leveling but now seems more of a hindrance.

I think IP restriction is a distant inferior to actually testing capabilities (you can dps E10 if you can kill a 1 million hp gatekeeper in 2 minutes, while dodging his attacks and purging/interrupting his barriers type of thing) but either way is better than letting people queue anything they want.

Anyway 10 levels is kinda a side effect of the very long endgame gear curve, in TSW you could just about quadruple your dps from starting nightmares to fully geared, in SWL you get more like 40x difference. I think about every 2x “deserves” a new difficulty level if you want to keep things at all challenging so that makes at least 6 tiers. SWL aimed more like 25-40% which is a bit close but also means you don’t spend months on each tier grinding it out.

My problem with OD is scenario wave timing narrows the difficulty window up. What works with a 1-2x dps range in dungeons is more like a 1-1.1x range in scenarios, where you’re floating free with nothing remotely challenging happening and then a wave gets 10% harder and you lose completely cause it tips past the line from “enough dps to kill waves and heal out of combat” to “in combat the entire 3 minutes with 1-2 extra enemies every 10 seconds until you die”

I think the intent on OD is not to be able to heal out of combat after a certain point. I mean after wave 25 I start to have to kite mobs from one spawn to the next in solo but I’ve got to wave 37 solo by doing that with a AR/Hammer setup. Of course this is not possible without some sustain abilities from Chaos or Hammer though.

I just enjoy the fact that I can take players from any IP with me to any level of OD. A lot of times low IP players may join the cabal and where most of us run E8-10 they can only do E5 lets say. Sure we can torture ourselves and run countless E5s to gear them up but it would be far more enjoyable if we could bring them to E8s or E9s.

It would however have to be a private group only thing though for obvious reasons in the group finder.

obviously those glorious missions the game is so known for maybe some News of the revamp of the manufactory dungeon

1 Like

At this point, my only activity in SWL is the sporadic reading/posting on this forum. I did give SWL a try, even if only to play any continuation of the main story, but I just couldn’t do it. Never made it to Tokyo (don’t think I made it to Transylvania either, I don’t remember), and DotM wasn’t enough to lure me back.

I still log to TSW once in a while, though.

2 Likes

I don’t think they thought that far ahead, just set it to scale and assumed players would work something out

private groups should probably skip requirements (and also not go through group finder) tbh. inviting people partway through a dungeon is a big upside to TSW that’s missing now. and unlike TSW, no dungeon drops are useful enough to skip any grind. The only justification I can think of for leaving it out is to make you have to serially attempt to get the dungeon you want from randomizer, instead of having 5 people enter separately and then whoever gets Polaris invites the rest of the group in.

1 Like

I can’t remember any dungeon drops that helped skip the 10.x grind really. MFB had some drops that were nice, but given the level of challenge involved, you were unlikely to get them without already having equivalent or better gear.
About the only bonus was the first few dungeon runs where you could replace blues with drops before you got the 10.0 item.

1 Like

TSW 2: Spoiler-Free Boogaloo I think Lillith will make an appearance (as Caine already made an appearance in the first Bloodlines) (I’d go so far as to say that it is Lillith narrating the first teaser trailer, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYvWfDxhm_s ) (the voice actress sounds like the voice actress for the old TSW trailers).
ALSO ALSO

The CEO from the Tender ARG (TSW is known for its ARG’s) is Malcolm Chandler - the last name, is eerily similar to the CEO of the Orochi Group - Samael Chandra. Lillith is also a heavily-featured antagonist in both series. And, Lillith is featured most prominently in TSW in Issue #7 and Tokyo, which Doetsch wrote a great deal of (Tokyo, at least).

I,in the contrary,think the 10 tiers is actualy fine.Because even as a new player I never fancied with being pulled through by veterans.Ppl ever played WoW must know some ppl that “go suicide o being a draw back for group” in raids.Those guy dont investigate and experience themselves by themselves,but get pulled by guild,end up being super anoying players that step in high tier content and dont know what actualy they are doing.So 10 tiers,by easy to hard,learn from step to step,is actualy good imo.The problema is not with tiers,the problema is with the poor social/comunicate aspect of the game,some said it was intended to make a lonely feeling enviroment but dude,this is killing a MMO!I know lots of new players,we are not that short in playerbase even,they just dont know how to group themselves,how to contact to others,how to organise runnings…and the lack of instrument of the game engraved this situation.Thats why my alt always queue for ages for lower E,not because lack of players,its because the social part of the game is poorly designed…Its a MMO after all,lonely enviroment?lol…
If its a single player online game o even coop game it would work,but with a MMO,it is SUICIDE
In current situation,the solution maybe that cabals gather new players,and help them organise runnings.Do not pull them through,just let them group themselves,learn by themselves.They need that.