New dodges - please re-consider these changes

Oh my friend, you made me laugh!

I really hope this kid tantrum called a dodge we will be getting either gets sped up or something we can all agree on. It looks bad. It looks SLOW AF. I am very skeptical about it, but we will have to wait and see…(you are probably right)

:metal::smiling_imp:

1 Like

Seems like a Poll topic wouldn’t be unreasonable. To get some numbers on the general opinion of this change in a more visual manner (and without needing to read through dozens of posts on it).

It would be perfectly reasonable.

After a couple of month.

I mean, most meta issues has been revolving around the dodge, one way or an other. Now that Funcom is finaly adressees the dodge, which they should have done way earlier, people are moaning.

Yes, dodges will likely be much less effective, particulary with Medium armor. That’s the point.
Yes, dodges will likely be much less effective if you don’t invest in the Agility stat, even for light armor. That’s the point.

And by lessening dodge effectiveness, the goal is partly to make other options more relevant. Such as heavy armors and shields. Or assuming a support role whithing a group of players.

Let the ambulance do its job before shooting it. Let every one get used to the new dodge. Only then would be the time to assess the quality of the new design.

That’s for PVP.

As a PVE player, i’m not worried. Not at all :

• Heavy armor + shield, or even medium + shield, is pretty effective against anything as long there are not too many of that anything.
  • Thralls are able to tank pretty much anything by themselves anyway. And a few healing arrows solve the few things they can’t tank by themselves. Something i allready take advantage of. And the future revamp of the thralls appears to make this option even more viable that it allready is. Just with a higher investement required into the thralls (new leveling system for thralls - allthough, as i’ve understood, legacy thralls will remain exactly as they are today, so PVE players wouldn’t even need to invest in the new thralls as long as they have remaining legacy thralls, giving any legacy thrall owner all the time he’d need to level new thralls to replace the legacy ones).

Now, for RP : i’m glad the supersayan like dodge will be gone. It looks nothing like realistic. Waaayyy too fast. New one looks way more realistic.

4 Likes

That’s the point. You’re a PvE player. As a PvP player I can tell you that the rolls can be your only way to survive being outnumbered. Even if you’re in heavy armor you’ll die in a 1v3 if you ever get staggered and can’t just dodge at all.

That’s the bloody point.

You are not supposed to survive such odds unless the enemies are real dummies and you are actually that good.

AND, the future dodge will allow you to avoid stagger in Heavy armor which it currnetly doesn’t as you rightfully point out. It will be a buff for heavy armor.

But a nerf to every other armor.

Right now you can survive these situations if you’re skilled enough. After the new update you won’t be able to do this unless your opponents are real bots.
The dodge changes are meant to make specific weapons more viable in PvP. They thought of stuff like katanas. But it’s actually a huge buff to claws which are already really OP. With the new dodges you can roll out of the way which means there is no real way to dodge a claw grit build. It’s also a buff to all kind of thralls (as if they didn’t buff them enough already …), especially archer thralls who have got some kind of aimbot already. With the slow rolls you can’t dodge their arrows anymore. A Hosh the venemous with dragonbone bow and serpentman arrows (which is both super easy to get) will 3-Shot you. This will change the overall PvP meta to groups with thralls instead of 1v1s or 3v3s or whatever.
They want to introduce the thrall cap to reduce lag. Now with the new dodges people will use laggy bases even more because enemies don’t see the thralls coming (or the naked people with one-hit-axes, which has happened to me quite some times already). Edit: Even if they see them before they get hit, they still can’t dodge anymore. Also a buff to act of violence.

1 Like

Which is the point of the modification, exactly what they want to acheive : Prevent players from running away of situations they should not able to run away from.

No player kitting.
No running away.
Kill or get killed.

Actually, no, the opposite. If you want a claw/grit build, you wont have a good dodge since you will need the points in grit. If you want a good dodge with claws, you wont have as much grit and wont be able to use claw attacks as a mobility tool since you wouldn’t have enough stamina. And if you sacrifice vit and str, you still wont have good grit and good dodge. We will have to make a comprimise that we dont have to do currently. Since all it takes for a dodge build is a light armor.

Archer thralls/NPCs : shields makes them nearly useless.
Yes, we will have to change our play still. No more dodging arrows (which sounds moronic in the 1st place, one does not simply dodge arrows). Use of more varied ways to deal with attacks/damages. It’s the goal of the change !
And I’m pretty sure these changes are intended to insite greater use (and loss) of thralls in PVP. And PVP to be more group v group than it currently is.

The thrall limit will hit servers at the same time of the dodge change. Laggy thralls will no longer be a thing (or at the very least, much less a thing) when the dodge change will be there.
It’s as if they intended to improve server pref by limiting the number of thralls in order to enable a better dodge system and overall improve combat by making everything more fluid. Hm … we will never know …

What you are ignoring is the fact that solo players and offline solo players frequently MUST survive these odds.

People act like PvE won’t have an issue with this, and it’s a load of crap. PvE players that don’t play online or join up with a large clan are essentially limited to themselves and a single thrall.

So online your options become getting really over-leveled and geared to survive against weaker groups of NPCs, or else to edit server settings to weaken NPCs to compensate for this.

I’m sure if this were a PvP only game then these changes would be fine.

But Conan isn’t only a PvP game. And to make a change that is strictly to adjust PvP combat, while ignoring the effects it has on PvE combat, is a completely moronic way to handle things.

Being able to disengage from combat is a necessary part of PvE. Sometimes things go wrong and you need to back off and re-evaluate. That doesn’t mean you just stay there and get killed then respawn and come back to try again.

That is what is known as a lame ■■■ way to learn a game. And believe it or not, people get pissed off when they die and lose all their gear because they can’t disengage from an enemy NPC.

And it’s foolish to think players are just going to willingly accept screwed up systems like this, that are just designed to kiss up to the PvP audience and make their gameplay more enjoyable.

It may take a while, but Funcom will likely learn a harsh lesson if they leave this in the game. Because it will surely impact future sales as current players, and potential new players, move to other games, because of this.

2 Likes

I’m a solo / coop player and I’m not fearing the new dodge. Because just watching it on stream isn’t enough to make an opinion. I’ll wait to test it in game before I decide if it’s bad or not.
But so far from my little experience, I only started to play in last April, I don’t see how it’s going to make dodging bosses more difficult than it’s now.

1 Like

You don’t get my point here. I’m not talking about kiting or running away, I just want to have the option to dodge out and heal back up before I go back into a fight in which I’m badly outnumbered. Not possible after the december update which makes PvP only an option for bigger clans (at least pretty much).

Again. You don’t get my point. I’m not talking about the claw player dodging, but about his opponent. If somebody attacks you with claws you NEED dodges. With the new animation (slower dodge) the claw player can hit you at least two times while you’re in your dodge. Then you’ll stagger and he can get more free hits. Another way to dodge a claw player is using sprint instead of dodge. Can’t do this with the slow walking at the beginning => Only way to fight claws properly: Heads up. Claw player will win this if you fail one hit.

You haven’t had PvP group fights then. Thralls (and players) will be all around you and your shield can only block attacks from the front.

Yes. But if somebody is alone (maybe just walking around or maybe a solo player), he’s screwed. He can’t win a fight against a group after the new update.

55-100 Thralls can also create enough lag for enemies to teleport or for your game to crash (at least on console, I don’t think PC crashes that easy). And there are other ways to create lag. If you just place down vaults and fill them up (doesn’t even have to be valuable stuff, maybe just stone or fiber; also not even full stacks, stacks of 1 are enough which makes it really cheap), your game (and/or the one of your enemies) will lag really bad and might crash. We’ve experienced this issue with only 2 vaults. Now imagine if someone placed 50-100 or even more … And combine this with landclaim and thrall lag … If your opponent teleports up to you, you sometimes have less than a second to react. If you’re dodging that slow, the enemies one-hit-axes will still land their crit hits on you.

Totally agree.

and might consider to leave.

Can’t express it any better.

and many of them don’t even like it.

That’s exactly what 8 of my clan members (who are hardcore pvpers) are planning. I’m also thinking about it which would be 9 out of 10 clan members. Not very different in the other clans I talked to.

2 Likes

I would expect to see an incoming change in that Thralls will no longer be available to place in inventory, or the like. Because as @tobi04 has stated about lag.

Drop down vaults and fill them with stuff, and it causes lag.
Well with thrall limitations, what do you think large clans are going to be doing?

They will tame thralls like normal, and stick the overflow into containers and chests to pull out and place as necessary.

So imagine all the chests now containing fighters and archers that are going to start causing lag on that side of things, rather than being just placed in the world as normal.

So with this thrall limit in place, I would expect a nerf to sticking thralls into a container. It’ll be straight from the Wheel of Pain to your inventory, and then the only option will be to place it immediately. No stashing it for later.

I don’t think this is the solution. If you successfully defend your base and rebuild … You would have to go to the volcano to get your thralls again for the next day? I also don’t like this idea, eventhough the thrall spam is really annoying.

It looks really, really bad, but you’re right that we can’t know without testing. So why are people complaining? Mostly because Funcom has a terrible track record when it comes to un-nerfing stuff. It’s not that they’ve never done it, but it has been exceedingly rare and, in every such circumstance, people have been stuck for weeks or months with a change that was undeniably unpopular across the board.

So now the strategy is to try to make Funcom tweak the change before we’re stuck with it.

In my 3400+ hours of playing a mix of PVE, PVE-C and singleplayer, I’ve seen the difficulty of PVE combat go all over the scale. I still remember when it was literally impossible to go more than a few paces into the Skittering Cavern because the spiders would stack 10 poison on you in a few seconds and they would respawn insanely fast. I remember being able to solo the Locust Queen wearing rags and wielding stone daggers – took more than an in-game day, but it was possible. I remember Summoning Place being a no-go zone because the Darfari would slaughter you in a jiffy, and I also remember frolicking around New Asagarth in non-epic light armor with a Cimmerian battle axe.

So yeah, we’ve come a long way in some aspects. Unfortunately, the trend with the bosses lately has been to make them hit so hard and/or from so far away, that you don’t want to even bother: just bring a beefy, well-armored T4 fighter, and let him or her eat it.

There are a few bosses that I’ll happily solo, because they’re an actual challenge. I rely on being able to:

1. recognize the cue for a specific attack
  2. react to that cue by pressing the dodge button
  3. rolling far enough away from the attack’s range

If the roll is slow and short, I won’t be able to do that.

Again, maybe they’ll fine-tune the boss attacks, too. Or maybe I’ll adapt and come up with a new way to fight them. But what I really wouldn’t like is to be stuck with the choice of either letting my thrall fight for me or cheesing the boss.

1 Like

Oh believe me, I’m not proposing this. I’m saying don’t be surprised if it happens.

Because clearly that is what most clans are going to be doing. Stockpiling thralls, even with a level system in place to make them better, they wil stockpile them so that if they have any that die, they can just pull out a fresh one and start over.

He’s saying that PvP are being given higher priority than the PvE and RP players.

Which, Funcom stated that the new dodge rolls were directly designed for PvP, which makes it sound as if little to no consideration for PvE situations. Only PvP because they believe that will give them more revenue, rather than caring about the player base as a whole.

A lot of the nerfs that came in were because of PvP, and they negatively impacted PvE. This has been going on for a long time now.

2 Likes

Ce serait une catastrophe si vous modifiez le système d’esquive tel qu’il est actuellement. L’esquive proposée par Conan Exiles actuellement est l’une des meilleure du genre. D’une part, elle rend les combats ultra-dynamiques et agréables à jouer. D’ailleurs à titre personnel je préfère les armures légères justement dans l’esprit de mobilité qu’elles autorisent.

D’autre part, l’esquive actuelle fait une place importante au talent du joueur ce qui serait totalement contraire dans le cas de son impossibilité… tout combat contre les boss géants serait limité à certains équipements sine qua non. Ce qui rend Conan Exiles aussi frais, c’est justement de permettre à n’importe qui, si il en a le talent, de remporter n’importe quel combat.

De plus, cela limite de nombreuses possibilités dont une tout à fait cohérente avec l’esprit de survit qui consiste à harceler son adversaire. Par ailleurs, tout le monde n’aime pas le pvp. A vous de voir avec vos statistique, si la majorité des serveurs privés sont orientés pve ou pvp…

Donc si je résume, c’est pas fun, réduit les possibilités, réduit le jeu à une hack and slash… ne faites pas cette erreur!

Google Traduction

It would be a disaster if you change the dodge system as it is now. The dodge proposed by Conan Exiles currently is one of the best of its kind. On the one hand, it makes fighting ultra-dynamic and enjoyable to play. Besides personally I prefer light armor precisely in the spirit of mobility they allow.

On the other hand, the current dodge has an important place to the talent of the player which would be totally contrary in the case of its impossibility … any fight against giant bosses would be limited to certain equipment sine qua non. What makes Conan Exiles so cool is to allow anyone, if he has the talent, to win any fight.

In addition, it limits many possibilities, including one that is entirely consistent with the spirit of survival that consists in harassing one’s opponent. By the way, not everyone likes the pvp. To you to see with your statistics, if the majority of the private servers are directed pve or pvp …

So if I summarize, it’s not fun, reduces the possibilities, reduces the game to a hack and slash … do not make this mistake!

4 Likes

Thats ok, I guess I pissed off the PvPers and they banned my response.

Nothing wrong with my post, and I stand by it.

If I offended some snowflake, oh well.

1 Like

My guess is it was the hostile language, specifically the “BS” bit. People often get that wrong: just because the forum software has a (really dumbarse) profanity filter, doesn’t mean the community objects to profanity itself. People are more likely to flag you if your language seems hostile.

Dodge seems completely useless now, which makes anything but heavy armor pointless. This is a game breaking change for me, it makes me not even want to play anymore. I hope they change it back.

3 Likes

If you’re using dodge to try to run away, it doesn’t work like that anymore. However, it’s far from useless. In fact, it’s better than before, because it can be used to negate an attack. If you time your dodge to coincide with an attack, you can literally roll through it without any damage whatsoever.

There’s a thread about fighting the King Scorpion with the new dodge, where I posted a more detailed report about it.

Hope that helps.