New Follower Limit - Feedback thread

So what strikes me as odd about this comment is that purge thralls are already better than non-purge thralls of the same faction. Yet this response would have seemingly led one to believe that purge thralls are not presently better as if this might be a new thing they add.

This makes me wonder if A) they’ve intentionally nerfed the purge spawn tables, but might consider restoring them, or B) he forgot that it already works this way and was thinking about something else (i.e. the quote from Joel Bylos that @Barnes cited about truly unique thralls being one-in-a-lifetime server event).

Either way, it’s a perplexing answer, but I’m hesitant to read too much into it.

2 Likes

Well they could allow you to positively mark Thralls you want to exempt from deletion

3 Likes

It says “unique”, not “better”… I don’t know but I think they mean they will have the same perks as other thralls can have

Yup. There’s a difference between items and actors.

When you look at the way things are implemented, those two statements stop being contradictory. When you watch the Dev Stream, you can see that each placed thrall in the new system has a bunch of stats that are unique to that thrall, but they have all been generated from the same blueprint.

Think of it like this: there’s a blueprint for Cimmerian Archer II, which states that growth chance for strength should be between X% and Y%. All of the tamed T2 Cimmerian Archers in your chests share a reference to that blueprint. If you think of them as pieces of paper, what you would see written on those papers is not “growth chance for strength is between X% and Y%”, but rather “for all the growth chances, see the blueprint for Cimmerian Archer II”. Once you take one of those tamed thralls and place it into the world, the game will look up all of those growth chance ranges and generate actual growth chances, e.g. the growth chance for strength for this particular Cimmerian Archer II that you just placed is 7%. It will also set the initial values of actual attributes like strength, vitality, health, concussive resistance, XP, level and whatnot. From there on, that particular thrall is a unique thing that has been “manufactured” based on the blueprint, but cannot be fully defined by that blueprint anymore.

Going back to the question about legacy thralls, what Funcom will do is expand and update the blueprints, not the deployed thralls themselves. It’s less work for them to implement that, less work for the server once the patch hits, and less work and complications all around.

Converting legacy thralls to the new system is not impossible, but, as other people have pointed out, there’s always the matter of deadlines and budget to consider. Writing and testing the logic to convert legacy thralls would be one-off throwaway work, which is something every game studio tries to avoid like a plague, for good reasons.

YOU stated power does not matter, so just kkepp your very well earned unique thralls.

Palm522

2h

as other i also COllect the names, its not about the power, i like to collect them, (as many other people i know of)

There’s a thread suggesting that and other things that might help.

1 Like

The only fix i can think of code wise is to have it where those things de-spawn if the thing gets bonked. And only certain wearable things and swinging things are left on the 2nd thing we bonked. Use a pass code to identify the different 1st things you don’t want “respawned” on that 2nd thing. Make sense :slight_smile: And maybe make the 1st thing non store-able in anything but a player or Alt…the thing it is crafted on. Making it a kinda off game of tag to get the 1st thing.

I’m in favor of limiting the amount of thralls/pets a clan or player can have. Pet/thrall lag is a bummer.

I also think they should make obelisks function as maprooms. That would reduce the number of bases players have to make, which should make the thrall/pet cap less of an issue.

2 Likes

Not at all. As public interest in “the Husk waves” waxed then waned, dev interest in the Purge, and its benefits changed from time to time. It does vacillate a bit. Interestingly, I think it was best characterized as Server Dran-o, back when Decay was a bit spotty. As in, without a working decay system, the purge would break pathways into abandoned bases and ring-roads around resources. The Purge has been a Mode for all Seasons.

I will tell you my interest now is in making a suitable thralling solution targeted at Human Purges. That’s pretty much all I’ll push once I’ve got archers trained.

Back at Patch 32, followers would be stripped of their gear and pop out of the wheel empty, wearing cloth and bearing hackers. Seems that could be re-implemented. Otherwise, you’re on the right track.

I fully agree with you, Zerog. Restricting thralls (and most items in game) only to those of good or rather best use while deleting the rest has so much of mere power leweling at cost of what you call nostalgia. CE is not just a game for power leveling, “survive BUILD dominate” also means building a place we like to be at. The sites we build are nothing but a sterile place, if there are not also people to live in. And the only people we can make live there are thralls. So they are a necessary part of the gaming experience and the pleasure we get of it.

5 Likes

What you’ve described is pretty much exactly what I proposed over in the Suggestions forum. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

See relevant media on Mounts (leveling message) here:
https://conanexiles.gamepedia.com/Mount#Media

I dont know about other clans but all the clans on my server on their members have their own bases with their own loot in. Some clans choose to share bases but I quite like having my own base and having my own loot. It allows me the creative freedom to build how I want and defend the way I want.
Not to mention 100 thralls for a whole clan is just to little. Especially with big clans like mine for example.

This game is all about surviving and expanding. Especially in full pvp. PVE isn’t gonna take such a direct hit as you cant raid but pvp I can basically see being dead. For people who have played the game for a long time, the main thing that has kept us play it is building new bases and expanding them or our current ones and increasing their defences. A good amount of the sever I’m on cant see themselves playing the game anymore after the update goes live.

Theres also the risk of losing all our loot in one raid as all players would have to move into one base together or would have to have 2 bases with defences split or more smaller bases with defences split even thinner making it harder to keep hold of loot which is probably going to infuriate alot of people.

What I’m trying to get at is the cap on thralls is probably gonna kill the game. At least for me and the people on my server. If not I can see a building cap coming in the future that will definitely kill it. I havent actually experienced any lag with thralls either and their is quite a few bases on my server that have tons of them and I have a potato of a computer. If you were to continue with a cap which I would still say isn’t the best idea, then I would suggest 150-200 follower cap per player instead.

Idk I’ve only just heard the news today about the cap and instantly had bad thoughts about it, same with the rest of my server and can just see myself giving up on the game a couple weeks after the updates release. We will see. I’d just prefer the cap not to go ahead

Funcom has stopped commenting in this topic so that doesn’t give me any hope that the are listening to our concerns anymore… Ofcourse that could be my fault for that

To be fair, everything that could be said has already been said long ago. This thread is just stuck in an infinite loop now repeating the same points. There is nothing new for Funcom to comment on.

1 Like

Nope there was some ideas here and there posted after they last post. I think its more the case of being the weekend they weren’t working and it would be a nightmare to go through everything now with how many new post.

Well I’ve seen some bickering, a bit of off-topic irrelevancy, a bunch of questions that have already been answered elsewhere, and most of the rest is a lot of repetition (though I can understand that many people have not read the 1000+ replies).

I’m just waiting to see if Funcom are going to stick with their proposed thrall limit or adjusting the number. Everything else has been answered.

The only way a cap can seem fair to me would be to allow the same number of thralls per person, regardless of whether they were in a clan or not. Meaning that a clan of 10 would have a max of 500, and a single person would have 50. That way, people joining clans wouldn’t have to get rid of all but 5 of their thralls.

Also, what happens when someone leaves a clan? Would random thralls die until the cap is met? That would be a new way to grief a clan… put down some crummy thralls, join a clan, then quit at 2am, and watch them wake up to find some of their boss-level thrall gone!

And there really REALLY needs to be a period of time when we can take our placed thralls back into inventory, or break them again. Currently can’t do this on Official PVP servers.

Pets will be a thing of the past with a cap of 50…

Dancers and bearers need a separate cap, or be immune…

3 Likes

They’ve answered that question in the dev stream: once the culling logic is activated, it will remain on. If your clan goes over the cap for any reason – including the departure of a clanmate – you get the notification that you’re over the cap and you lose a random follower every 30 minutes until you’re back at the cap.

Yes, it sucks. I hope they change it.

1 Like

What??!! I thought that after the new cap update i can break bonds with the thralls that are over the cap. Now i must murder them before the update? I have 180 thralls i need to kill alot i dont want to kill my thralls thats so cruel. :sob: