New Follower Limit - Feedback thread

I think i have to quit the game then i just gave a clan member 155 thralls for his piramide. I never counted my own thralls but i am afraid i have more then 500 thralls on my 7 bases. So we get a command to bag them?

Of course I do, because Funcom has given no indication that we will have those stronger followers right away. Instead, from what I see, we’ll have to level our followers from scratch. A fully active clan gets purged once a week or so. Let’s say I keep 6 guards instead of 24. How many purges do you think I’ll have to face with little-to-no defense before those 6 guards become as strong or stronger than my original 24?

I don’t, and neither do most of the PVE players I know. We’re playing PVE-C, as opposed to PVP, because we’ve made a conscious and informed decision: we decided that we like building cool stuff. You know, like in that building contest that Funcom organized not so long ago, because they were so proud that their game allows players to build big.

See what I quoted before I wrote that? The assumption that the reason for having numerous thralls is to produce lag on purpose – that assumption is typical for PVP players who don’t understand what it’s like to play a builder-oriented PVE playstyle. On top of that, you need only look at the disregard for PVE evident in the vast majority of Funcom’s patched and updates, and you won’t find my sentiment strange anymore.

3 Likes

But I don’t understand how you can be both a “fully active clan” and have “little to no defense”. Surely your clan members alone should be a pretty formidable defense? Bearing in mind that if you’re a full clan, you’ll still be able to field 100 Followers, I’d think that would be more than adequate - even if you have to “make do” with un-upgraded thralls for a while.

Mm, snarky. Well, I am a solo (online, official - ie 1x) PvE player, and I like building big, and I’m totally with you on the “prefer building to PvP” bit. But I also make the conscious decision to not build more than I can maintain.

Granted, so far the enemy has been the decay timer more than anything else, but this doesn’t really change the picture: you own what you conquer, you keep what you can hold. That is the barbarian credo. If the Purge starts to prove itself a viable enemy that’s amazing.

For me, quality > quantity in followers is absolutely the right direction for this game. Even if it means a lot of my “old friends” will have to take early retirement.

I have now said my piece, and will not try any further to convince you - you are, after all, entirely entitled to your opinion.

2 Likes

They doing this and yet they shant stop people coming on servers and placing foundations everywhere. WE had one do that on our server. Nutter claimed he wanted to ruin it. He was a fool, yet he did attempt it. He foundation much of starter area where nobody could build. Yet when we reported this, nobody came to stop him.

As for lags a good server can make up for slower computers. I owned a server on Ark’s game system and know this for a fact. So, saying that this is for slower computers is saying their servers are not able to handle the loads.

2 Likes

Hey everybody,

Thanks for sharing your feedback and opinions, pro or against this new change. But please we’d like to ask you all to remain civil and respectful to each other.

We’d also like to clarify some points mentioned in the announcement that seem to have flown over some heads. This cap limit of 100 per full clan is the default and the one that will be used in official servers at launch. Private servers and singleplayer/coop games will be able to customize this cap or even disable it, as they can do with other settings.
Also, this cap is subject to changes once we analyze the performance impact and usage when the update goes out. Again, this affects official servers only. Private server owners and single players can set this limit and distribution per clan member to whatever setting they prefer.

And once again, please, be respectful to each other.

4 Likes

Yes, as announced here:
https://forums.funcom.com/t/follower-leveling-system-and-follower-limit/92642/
For any other questions and/or concerns, please tune in our devstream tomorrow.

I am pretty sure Funcom will not change this 55-100 numbers… And with Ignasis reply… Well, maybe its time for another game anyway, where the devs dont punish players for their crappy servers…

4 Likes

I have the feeling its funcoms intention to scare off people from official servers.

First you guys earn money with expensiv rp dlc content and encourage people in livestreams to build even bigger because community taverns are a thing that every server needs to have now and don´t forget to mention the sexxy dancer thralls that are everywhere to show of the new outfit that is made out of two strings and some dots and some weeks later you say: hey sorry guys and girls, but you need to kill all of your thralls in order to get the new ones, you can´t have what we said you can have and by the way we limit your fun to 55 thralls, because we can. But hey look at the bright side, there are private servers who will give your your freedom back, so hop over there …

unbelievable funcom, unbelievable …

8 Likes

It’s unfair to solo players. A clan has more players to defeat a solo player. Now, they will have more thralls too. To really balance, a clan should have less thralls than a solo player. We can’t depend on other players to have a good experience in the game. Let solo players and clans have the same amount of folowers and keep the game fair.

2 Likes

Funny, from where I’m sitting I would have argued the exact opposite. :stuck_out_tongue: 6 thralls at each of 10 locations might be sufficient if the “base” has a foot-print no larger than a large wheel of pain, but no one I play with would consider that a base. Even at my smallest base (11x13) with an animal pen and maproom outside, there’s no way so few thralls would be sufficient. The AI is simply too lackluster to rally properly, nevermind that the purges will march at it from 3 of the 4 cardinal directions. Also, remember we still need internal defense for when the purge bugs out and spawn on roof tops or inside (yeah, this still happens).

Let’s not forget those occasions where someone runs a world boss thru your base either intentionally or by accident. While a well-geared top-tier fighter can take down a single world boss solo, if it’s sustained prolonged attacks while you’re at work, even the best thrall will eventually die. That’s part of the reason why we can’t space our thralls out to the extent you’re suggesting.

And if you think this is a rare occurence, remember: Funcom still hasn’t fixed the issue of orphaned thralls not dying off properly after 15 days. Unlike on PvP servers, we PvEers can’t just lob gas orbs into a departed clan’s menagerie to get rid of them. As such, the kiting of world bosses is pretty much a necessity and accidents happen.

Furthermore, this ignore the whole City Life aspect of the game. Don’t forget, the last DLC was wholly based around RP themes. So we’ve now got a tavern pack, new duds for our dancers, and we’re all supposed to pare our forces down so drastically that we no longer can afford dancers, pets, etc. that aren’t all geared for WW3?

4 Likes

All my sub-bases are just 8x8x3… You can fit many things in there, if you place a 4man wheel at the bottom…

But still I have 7 of them, with 1 dancer and 5-7 guards. So ~42 from that alone… Reduced my base yesterday to 58 (killed all weaker T4s, where weak = not volcano, relic or cimmerian berserker).

But my deathpit works nice. Also for animals, but sometimes the bug out and are OVER the spikes… :smiley:
But the animals are a pain in the ass… Still 60 left :smiley:

Oh and nothing changed when removing the thralls… It got even way worse, that my base didnt render at all, when I was coming back from an outpost… :smiley: Last time I had this was several weeks ago… Could wait for 5mins to render all. And in total I removed 22 thralls and 10 animals…

PS.: The only nice thing about the cleaning: I have massive amount of armors now :smiley: :smiley:

While it might be a fun challenge trying to Tetris everything into such a small place, I didn’t become an avid fan of this game to be relegated to tiny spots like that. :frowning: (Also, those are still your sub-bases, surely you’ve got a full-sized one somewhere. :P) All the long-time players on my server are there because we enjoy building big beautiful castles, building bridges and infrastructure, and creating taverns and other structures for ourselves and fellow players to enjoy.

Let me stress that last part: and fellow players to enjoy

So a big draw of the PvE end game is having a few cool bases of your own, but also maintaining these fun public structures for others to enjoy. The thing is, we’ll now be forced to choose between securing our bases, or continuing to have some semblance of city life. There’s simply no way that 55 or even 100 thralls will be close to enough to do that.

This is why, in my prior reply to @Nemisis, I was taken aback at the sentiment that this change doesn’t affect PvE as much as PvP. From what others have told me, it’s not as common for a single PvP clan to have multiple large bases like it is in PvE, meaning a smaller number of defenders can still maintain a tighter formation. Of course, this assumes someone to actually be building like that, but it’s clear from @zerog’s posts that there are PvPers who like to build big like we do in PvE.

So yeah, this sucks for both sides. Guess it’s time to go sign-up some more alt accounts and “break-up” with my best friend. :sob:

5 Likes

My mainbase spans over a canyon :smiley: Has a tower to get the achievment (which doesnt render to the end anyway - so it looks really stupid. Also god beams stop at a certain height) and all altars…

The “sacrifice” room full with dancers is so big than some of my outposts :smiley: And I even build a house around a vault :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In solo play (single-player) and I do not want the game to randomly delete my Thralls before get the chance to increase my pet and thrall limit.

1 Like

Funcom confirmed there will be a grace period before the random killings start. Presumably, you’ll be able to increase the limit during this time, but you might want to ask this in the Q&A thread to be sure.

1 Like

That these complaints even occur shows how little interest the community has to get a working PvP experience. People just want to sit on their server menacing building spam with their carelessly dropped 1000 pets and thralls rather than actually playing a competitive game. The balancing adjustments have been catering to this playstzle for far too long and it is the reason why Conan exiles fell so far behind ark and rust who do have a working raiding meta. Singleplayer and community servers with strict rules will be the only options left to play if things remain as they are now.

Does Rust limit defencive turrets? I know Ark kind of does, last I played it was 100 turrets within a range…but you can can have unlimited dinos for defence set on aggressive. Ark cant be compared to Conan that way.

And a thrall limit helps building spam how?
All the duped items which most alpha have and use at offical, will be prevented with a thrall cap?

Raiding is a joke, or lets say, defending is a joke if you dont have a lollipop base. Limiting the thralls helps how?

I agree with not putting in mounts. I would prefer to be able to keep my thrall numbers up for defense and as part of my base aesthetics. By limiting the number of thralls/pets it limits my builds. I am pve and while my main base is big enough to house all the alters, 2 animal pens, 1 medium wheel and one large wheel it is quite compact when compared to other bases on my server and other servers. Our plan is to only have 1 base with all the alters and each alter has 4 dancers to worship at them.

Almost finished with my compact base near the Black Hand Ship. My walls are lined with archers with pets outside the walls for purge defense. Was just starting on small base 3 when these changes were announced and now I am thinking I am going to not enjoy the game as much now, thoughts of building a tavern with bouncers, dancers and bartenders is also scrapped.

One of the main things to do in pve is to build in a new area to get better thralls. I love being able to build in this game and limiting the number of thralls/pets hurts the designs and weakens the defenses against purges.

I do not like that it is going to be random of which thralls/pets disappear, we should be able to choose. Pets and thralls should not be counted as the same thing, separate categories for them. Fighters and archers should not be counted in the same category as dancers/support. Do animals in pens count toward the final number? Are mounts going to count in the number or are they to be separate?

Thrall limit helps so u can’t cramp an endless amount of farming bases with a zergswarm of Thralls.