New Game Launcher

Okay… Funcom. Do you guys know Shad from Shadiversity?
He made this video on things you could improve upon - watch?v=DVHQiecYLVY named " How to include CASTLES in online PVP survival games: an open letter to Funcom, Conan Exiles"
I can tell you. Many players would LOVE you for listening an implementing what he suggests.

Just a thought on what you guys should be working on instead of a “Launcher” that NONE have asked for.

1 Like

Respectfully sir while this sounds very reasonable its not. Its actually assuming that mature folks like me their 50’s cant form opinions of whats off putting to me as a category. Launchers for games serve pretty much only to advertise stuff for the game company while bypassing any limitation public platforms like steam may have in place to ensure fair and equal treatment of their subscribers.

Its laudable that you ask for feedback, but this reply makes it appear you only want feedback that you agree with so I would appreciate if you can advise me of how I can unsubscribe from your forums as its clear already that posting here will be a pointless exercise.

2 Likes

Launcher will be bypassed completely if a game is started via a desktop shortcut, you can also add a +connect ip (where ip is, write server ip) command at the end of Target field in Properties and you’ll be able to start the game with 2 clicks and you’ll avoid opening the launcher

1 Like

I really don’t see the point of the change you’re making. When I click on “Play” to play a game, I completely ignore everything else until the game starts playing.

If I wanted to read game news, or DLC news when I clicked on the “Play” button, I would headbutt the wall first and then look for the “Read news” button.

Hello, first time poster here. I created a forum account specifically for this post because it’s that important to me.

Positive: The art / ui team did a fantastic job.

Negative: There’s absolutely no reason for this to be added. While it may only take a few seconds longer to get into game, it’s still a few unneeded seconds and clicks.

Please do not implement this “feature”. The player base has not asked for such, nor do they want such. Even if some players don’t have issues with it, it’s not something they asked to have added.

While my single, insignificant account won’t matter to a company in the big picture I have to say something like this will probably keep me from purchasing any further titles / expansions.

Thanks for your time.

1 Like

NonoNoooo There is absolutely NO reason to have another launcher for this. What in the world are you people thinking? It’s bad enough that you force out untested content and break the game each time. The last thing we need is yet another launcher.
Everything is already easily accessible in steam. I have 3,794 hours played, all the dlc, and I run a server. Listen to your playerbase, you’re killing your game.
Forget the launcher, we don’t need it. Just focus on fixing the bugs that are already a problem. Come out with content that you tested so it doesn’t break the game. But no launcher!

Thanks, but no thanks, steam is ok.

1 Like

Experiences probably vary then. Mostly solo player here, I found it took less clicks for me to get from steam library button click to play ready in game. My stopwatch app says it also took 8.4 seconds less to get to game start also.

Notes:
Existing launch process, 7 clicks:

Click “Play”
Select “Play Conan Exiles without BattlEye” radio button
Click “Play”
Click once to clear intro movie
Click “Back” on “Downloadable Content” popup
Click “Singleplayer/Co-op”
Click “Continue”

New launcher, 3 clicks:

Click “Play”
Click “Continue”
Click once to clear intro movie
edit - Keeping myself honest, 1 click to close launcher so 4 clicks :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yup PC. I will try it again and remove mods.

1 Like

So we need a launcher so we can skip the annoying ad screen they force on us every time we launch the game? Why not just remove the ad and put the continue button on the main menu?
You also want to speak about people having a choice but fail to realize Funcom is removing yours. You bought the game under the presumption that steam was your launcher for said game. Now that you already own it they are attempting to force you to use their secondary launcher that serves no real purpose and you can’t opt-out.
It’s not as if this is a thing that was part of the game on release or EA where people could have a choice and say oh no I’m not dealing with another launcher. If it gets added you will have to use it if you want to play. You won’t even be able to close it after you run the game. So all those people who are just able to run Conan Exiles or any other Funcom game will have another program running in the background that they are being forced to run using up more resources.
The launcher literally adds one new useful feature that could easily be added to the main menu and they could remove the annoying ad then you are back where you left off in 2 clicks. Play, continue.

3 Likes

Where in any of their statements have they said the launcher is the only way to play the game once (or if) it gets released. From what @Ignasi stated on this thread, the plan is not to remove it from Steam, so those that don’t want to use the launcher don’t have to. I use the .exe so neither is really important to me. This is where i see fear mongering to get an opinion across as what is happening, instead of healthy factual feedback on what they have asked to test. Then again, if they do go forward as making the launcher de-facto to play on PC, then i will stand corrected, but do not think it would make playing the game any more difficult or a sell out move. But so far everything about the launcher that Funcom has said is it is just something they are testing, and would like feed back on how to make it more useful for those that may see it as something they may want.

1 Like

If you start the game directly using a Windows shortcut, the launcher won’t start and it won’t be running in the background.

No, it won’t.

For those who would like to start the game without using the launcher, I’ve already posted the instructions on where to find the executables:

First of all, thanks for making many interesting and informative videos about Conan Exiles. They’ve been very helpful to me :slight_smile:

That’s not what the “continue” button does. It simply reconnects you to the last server you played on. It’s not about removing the ad, it’s about skipping clicks (“Play online” > “PVE-C” > wait for the list to load > double-click on my preferred server). I don’t care for that enough to want to run the Launcher, but that’s what it does and that’s what some people like.

This is why @Ignasi and others have been saying to please try the launcher before criticizing it, so we can avoid misunderstandings.

5 Likes

You most definitely can. See @CodeMage’s description of how.

While I like the Continue functionality, I don’t think that alone is worth the obvious mountains of backlash introducing the Launcher will bring (some of it well-reasoned, lots of it less so). There has to be more benefits for the users, or the whole thing is a bust IMO.

1 Like

Lets remove the whole main menu and add all the buttons to the launcher. Who needs a main menu where the launcher can have all the options.

Incorrect. Steam still is how you launch the game. They’re not removing the game from steam, that’s just absurd. As multiple people have pointed out already, please actually try the new launcher before you make a lengthy video full of misinformation

1 Like

It’s the same thing for the rest of us who do not want a launcher just to have a continue button… some players play on different servers some do not. We don’t need a launcher just to have a continue button and to look at the games we do not own. Point is this launcher thing brings nothing.

UNLESS it has all the menu buttons and options which make the main menu itself redundant. Launchers are only good for Companies outside of Steam.

I’m not going to tar-and-feather Funcom for this. But adding another process running in the background is an issue. There’s already too darn many of those on my computer, and pruning them is a constant battle. The very last thing I need is another.

Why’s it there? What benefit does it provide to Funcom or to the players? If it’s just a replacement for the “launch with BattleEye or not” dialog, why does it keep running? If it’s not doing anything in the background, it shouldn’t keep running. If it is, I want to know what it’s doing.

1 Like

REMOVE THE LAUNCHER! This was an absolutely stupid idea. I can’t believe that you guys thought this would be a good idea. We already have STEAM why do we want to have to launch ANOTHER program just to launch ANOTHER program??? “without increasing the time it takes for you to enter the game.” WHAT? Guess what, it INCREASES the time it takes to launch the game! You guys just think that the launcher just magiacally appears there fully loaded, in 0.000000 seconds???

REMOVE THE LAUNCHER. Please!

Playerbase decided, we will see now.