Officials: TOC does not cover bannable offenses

Hey, I’m here half to ask questions and half to plead that if admins are going to take drastic actions like 2 week clan banning and deleting 700 hours of work-- that they update the Terms of Conduct to reflect the reasons they ban people.

Recently my PVE-C clan got nuked by admins for “building abuse” and “damaging player structures with a purge”. I honestly do not know what building abuse refers to, but I would assume it is one of two things: We built an open-top inescapable base, so if people enter our base without permission they are blocked by fences and cannot leave. Making traps by using fences and crenelated walls is something many people would think of as a use for anti-climbing structures along with spike pits and palisades. It seems like a viable and valid war strategy for a server with PVP. I know that we have been reported dozens of times for this.

Is it bannable to create traps that players can fall into and not escape? If so, why is it not covered in the Terms of Conduct?

Speaking of palisades, many of you know that palisades damage enemy player thralls that are scouting or guarding. You can use this method to clear thralls that have been left behind by players who deleted their toons, you can kill thralls that have been left unprotected out in the wild away from land claim, and you can use them to counteract people who bracelet cheese (are naked and send their lvl 20 dalinsia at you and bracelet when it gets low health so you can’t hurt it anymore). At first glance it seems like a bug, but it has valid use cases and is a valuable tool that has a place in the game as is. In any case, there are forum posts dating back 2 years regarding palisading thralls. Surely in 2 years Funcom could have either updated their TOC to include such uses (It only mentions blocking content or building in a way that decreases performance) or if it is a bug they would have fixed it by now.

Is it bannable to use palisades to kill player thralls? If so, why is it not in the Terms of Conduct?

Lastly, we got a purge and kited mobs to destroy some of a rival’s neighboring base. Would I be mad if it happened to me? Yeah. But are there hours where roving NPCs can and will damage player structures? Yes. Is it a bannable offense covered in the Terms of Conduct? No. PVE-C is essentially PVP lite and raid hours are still a thing.

Kiting purges is not covered in the Terms of Conduct. Why was I banned for it?

I have filed Zendesk tickets about these issues with the TOC but haven’t received a response in a few weeks and thought it would be good to have a discussion about it here.

We may sound like a cancerous clan but we use shady (but TOC abiding) methods to redistribute wealth from fat cats who log in weekly to reset decay to new active players who need a hand. Starting from stone tools again with no explanation as to why we are being penalized for violations we haven’t heard or read about is heartbreaking. Funcom needs to make a TOC that reflects the bans they are handing out.

Either way, if I can honestly get some clarification on which of the 3 above actions are bannable offenses so that I can know my limits from now on it would be very helpful.

Thanks for reading

2 Likes

Thanks for that post. I wish it could help pushing Funcom to make things clearer.
What server were you on, out of curiosity?

2 Likes

On the one hand, I agree the rules need to be clear and their nebulous handling of unwritten rules causes a lot of headaches.

On the other hand, you’re telling me you joined a pve server (aka… no raiding) and spent your time building traps players can’t get out of due to no raiding, dragging purges to other players’ bases to raid them (when raiding isn’t normally possible), and using pallisades to kill thralls when you shouldn’t be able to… sounds like you couldn’t hack it on pvp servers and decided to go somewhere people couldn’t hit back.

I mean yeah, that’s not in the TOS… but if you’re on a server that is clearly marked by the inability to raid, using ingame mechanics to raid despite that… I’m just saying, does someone REALLY have to spell that one out to you?

PVE-C is essentially PVP lite

Not in a million years. PVE-C is PVE with a gank occuring once per week. If you what you wanted was to go on raids, destroy bases, and kill people without restraint, you’re on the wrong server type. Plenty of room on the pvp servers though if you want to make the switch.

1 Like

Yes, they do need to spell out what rules they will and will not delete everything you work for based on. 100%.

You can smack talk me for PvPing on a PvE-C server all you like, but our server is active and there is PvP throughout raid hours daily. I have 2 jobs and a family. I like the PvP aspect of the game and don’t like the idea of having to constantly stress about my base being blown up by demonfire barrage while I’m seeing to my life responsibilities. It’s almost like this game type was made for someone like me or something. Conflating PvE servers with PvE-C servers isn’t a good take. Funcom has decisively made the two different game types with the calculated cost that it splits the player base because it is that different and worth it for players like me.

Anyway this isn’t a discussion about server types or if I’m enough of a tough guy to make it on a “real” PvP server

I’m sorry to hear that you have been banned. I too have used palisades on a PvE C server to kill thralls, but I’ve never thought I was breaking any kind of rules. I have a question I would like to ask, and I have it open in the forums at the moment…

During the non PvP time on a PvE C server, if wild animals attack a player who then runs and hides, and the wild animals then attack another players thralls, is this against the rules, and if so, which ones?

1 Like

You mean kiting a mob to another players thralls. . .lol. They added tethers to stop this, but people still build close enough to boss mobs for it to happen.
And who knows what is against the rules these days. . .

I have 2 jobs and a family. I like the PvP aspect of the game and don’t like the idea of having to constantly stress about my base being blown up

I hear you say this, shortly after you tell me you drag purges to other peoples’ bases to blow them up. Isn’t that exactly the kind of stress pve-c isn’t supposed to have, hence why you play there?

1 Like

Before we dragged a purge to a neighbor, we got plenty of threats from others saying they would do it to us and it’s how we got the idea in the first place haha. We managed to break down a wall and 2 chests with a jungle biome purge. It’s not stressful to make sure your base’s thrall defenses can protect against purge enemies that don’t want to be there and constantly have to be kited, and you know that you’re safe for a while after they’ve been purged and you don’t have to worry about your base being annihilated if you have taken precautions. I’ve seen videos of demonfire barrages turning T4 apex clan bases in to rubble with little to no effort and killing all of their godbreaker thralls inside too.

It’s not the same, it is like PvP-lite. I honestly don’t know why you’re here arguing about it but until an admin can clarify the rules I have nothing better to talk about I guess.

There are no lawyers in survival games. Crom’s ban-hammer does the job nicely.

@Ignasis it would be helpful to get an official stance on the actions I mentioned here.

You wont get one, because it is one of those “grey” areas, that is almost a game mechanic. If kiting a mob to another players base/thralls was bannable, I wouldve been banned a gazillion times in the last five years.
I have also logged in to see parts of my base destroyed on a PVE-C server from someone elses Purge. It wasnt even a big deal to me, I just repaired and moved on.

1 Like

I wasn’t using the right tagging methods. @Community is there any official stance on any of these issues?