Pandemonium Multi-Server - Vanilla+ | PVE-C | US EAST | Exiled Lands and Siptah | High Performance Hardware

They could be powerful desktops if you put graphics cards in them, sure, but in this case, they’re servers hosted at a data center in Chicago.

I guess I could spring for the 64-core Dual AMD EPYC 7502P processor just to use 1 of the cores in this mostly single-threaded game for $800 a month, but the performance would be exactly the same more or less because of the single-threaded architecture. I guess it would sound really neat though. :laughing:

The i9-10850K is great for single-threaded performance, and it’s leaps and bounds above what anyone else is using for server in this game. 99% of the other servers, including all the official ones, are on shared hosting plans. I don’t know what the ERP servers are using, but I’ve heard the performance is pretty poor. Probably i5’s or lower.

When I last built a server, it was equipped with dual-quad core AMD Opteron CPUs on a KCMA-D8 Motherboard. Inferior to what is used today. (that was just 7 years ago too). It was adequate for my needs at the time, but not now. It seems to have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

You’re absolutely right about the single-thread. It’s the SQLite3 DBM they used that crippled this game when they began development on it.
It’s notorious for single thread use and woefully inadequate to be used for a game of this complexity.

You’re right again about “shared hosting”. It’s one of those little tricks they can pull with multi-core CPUs by running multiple server instances of the same game (or even other games) a game (instance) per core.
I do know it’s a bit more complicated than that.

It seems you’ve had quite a lot of experience with server technologies. The dual-quad core AMD Opteron CPUs were very popular server processors back in the day. I’d imagine many online games from that era, such as FFXI, WoW, EVE, and many others, likely had servers running on those CPUs. However, as you mentioned, technology has advanced significantly since then, although I find myself pretty nostalgic for those days personally.

You’re spot on about the limitations of SQLite3 and its impact on this game’s performance. SQLite3 is notorious for its single-threaded nature and is not well-suited for a game of this complexity. It struggles to handle high levels of concurrency and can become a bottleneck when processing a large number of queries simultaneously.

In hindsight, using a more robust database management system like MySQL could have potentially benefited this game in several ways. Multi threading mainly, but also, MySQL offers features like ACID compliance, transaction support, and crash recovery, for data integrity and reliability.

But of course, this all would have come with higher resource requirements, a much more difficult development curve, and licensing fees. I’m not a professional database manager or SQL expert, so it would be difficult for me to judge their decision too harshly, but I can say for certain after several months of hosting this server that it’s challenging to keep the database operational on a high population server, and the community is anything but forthcoming with information since they see us all being in competition with one another over player numbers. It’s unfortunate. We did have to wipe the database on one of our servers once back in December, but I’ve learned a few things since then, and I’m hoping to avoid having to do it in the future. Fingers crossed. Of course, the benefit of having two game servers with the server transfer mod is that people can easily protect their progress even in the event of a wipe, so it wasn’t too bad.

In reality, I probably could have run both servers on just the single machine, but I’ve decided to get two, not only because it performs a little better that way but also for future-proofing if I decide to add some more of the custom maps in the future, which I’ll probably be doing.

1 Like

Bump

Bump

Bump

Bump

Bump

Happy bump day.

Bump

Bump

Bump

Bump

1 Like