Picts have heat bonus? Why do Turan have a cold bonus?

they need to switch this Picts need to be cold

Lore debates are interesting, but it’s a simple reason, and Robert (Funcom Senior Game Designer) has talked about this a couple times during streams.

Temp settings for armor are set based on balance demands. That’s it. No lore reason behind it.

The evidence picts live in the ice, mountains
Age of Conan - land of picts
Vanaheim is the home of the picts

@Multigun is absolutely right. And I’m honestly surprised nobody actually pointed this fact earlier than that.

The discussion is meaningless, because all of the DLC armors are given temperature resistance based on the need for balance. It has nothing at all to do with the climate of where they may or may not live in the Conan universe.

That said, I’m firmly for the idea of stripping all temperature resistances from all armors. And having a new method to let us choose what temperature resist is given to the armor. And once it’s on that armor piece, it’s permanently on that armor piece.

IE, if I have Light Armor, I use the method and give it cold resist. I craft a new set of Light Armor and give it heat resist. After that I can upgrade them to 5 points on each piece.

1 Like

You might wanna do some better research.

Vanaheim is Nordheimer, not Pict.

This is where the Picts are from.

Vanaheim is near it, but not a part of it.

And just so there is no doubt. This is from the Age of Conan wiki, to further show that the Picts are from the Pictish Wilderness.

As far as the climate, given the fact that the Pictish Wilderness seems reminiscent of North America and the Picts are based partly around Native American cultures, I would say temperate climate seems most likely.

So they would be wearing probably fairly little in the warmer months, and switching to hides and furs in the winter months. Same as the Native Americans would have been doing when the pilgrims were first arriving here.

Edit: But again, it’s entirely meaningless because the temperature resistance was made for balance reasons. Not authenticity.

This has been addressed many times. The armour set bonuses are what they are to balance the amount of hot/cold resistant armour sets in the game. No it does not make sense that bear skin would keep you cool but the game was lacking in heat resistant sets at the time of dlc release so that’s what they went with.

This is absolute nonsense
Robert E. Howard who historically wandered
All are people he took part in the Conan world
have a historical model

Zv.
Nordheimer = Germanic
Stygians = Egyptians
Himelians = Afgans
Hyrkanier / Turanier = Turks / Persians
Khitaner = Chinese
Shemites = Arabs
Darfari = Zimbabwe
Vendhyan = Indians
Zamorians = Mesopotamia
Zingaraner = Phoenician
Aquilonier = Greeks / Romans

Why then should the Picts be (native Americans?)

All peoples exist in reality
in Europe / Afika / Asia
There is not a single people from America
why?
Everything that is American, it owes to the Europeans / Aficans / Asians
Europeans / Aficans / Asians is the original, America just a copy
American culture was completely eradicated

if you look at the map of conan
you can see 3 continents
Europe / Afika / Asia

they see nothing of America

why is there no inkas, mayas, aztecs?
there is not any

chrysagon_hyboria

Exactly. Go to the source. Robert E. Martin wrote a very detailed description covering his genre in ‘Hyborian Age’, which is included in the Complete Anthology collection available via Kindle for a nominal fee - and well worth reading.

Oh, and on reading that, also factor in that FunCom, (based on previous early-Stream conversations) though they want to keep as close to the genre as possible, have to adhere to current more modern social conventions.

Many of the descriptions and modes of speech back in the 1930’s are, shall we say, very offensive in the 21st Century. FunCom do an excellent job at balancing the original with the current genre and International conventions and governance.

For players wanting to make the core game more ‘to the original’ I would recommend starting up a private server hosting and check out mods that suit their play style. Official servers will Always keep to the most vanilla option.

To me this sounds more like forced equality instead, not actual balance. Surely equality and balance are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but the way the temperature element base is presented (to me) feels like we are merely talking about fixed ratios and not actual balance; e.g. 50-50% males and females = equality by gender: 50-50% cold and hot = equality by heat. How does the balance surface, when the equality part is excluded? What is left when the aforementioned part is removed from discussion? :thinking:

@moerserman
You are just going to have to accept the fact that the Picts came to be associated with the Native Americans. This is listed in various places online. They may have originated as a concept with those from England/Scotland, however they were also forced to migrate somewhat. And that is why they took on Native American aspects as well.

Instead of just trying to argue this point down on the forum, for whatever obscure reason you have, you need to consider taking a second to actually use the internet and do a little research. Such as from the Picts in Fantasy Wiki page.

An interesting point is that, in the Hyborian age stories such as Beyond the Black River,[2] when they populated the Western edge of Europe and share a border with Aquilonia, which tries to push them further west to colonize new provinces, the Picts show clear Native American influence, in their appearance, dress, armament, manner of conducting wars, and even the place names of the new Aquilonian provinces. It is hard to tell whether this is a case of inconsistency on the part of Howard, or a throwback to their earliest origins and savagery, as the Picts who Conan battled during the Hyborian Age are definitely more primitive and savage than those Kull knew many millennia earlier.

Seeing as how it rather clearly states that Picts were given Native American influence BY HOWARD, for reasons unknown. And that is why they have Native American influences now, and always will have at this point.

Your argument is misguided, and not really helpful to the overall topic at hand.

@Fable
That’s a wild tangent to be going off on. Not even really sure what equality has to do with this. The fact is, and has been already explained to us on multiple occasions every time someone comes up complaining that the armor looks one way, but resists temperature the completely opposite way.

Whatever temp resist is lacking when the DLC is going to be released, that is the temp resist that is given, to fill the void. There is no real point in arguing the how and why of it. It is what it is.

Howard loved ancient history but he loved America too. And America’s history is mostly natives’ one

This is exactly what we (me and perhaps some others) don’t quite understand. Where is it; what’s the spectrum of environment in which the aforementioned void resides in. I want to know what the spectrum is, coz I can utilise that data to say how the void reacts to its environment; and thus what the void could be (and especially if there really is a void in the first place). Devs say that they do this to fill the void, but they don’t explain what the issue is. They just say it’s for balance, but they never addressed what exactly are they trying to balance.

My current theory is that, since they haven’t explained the environment around the issue thoroughly enough, this implies that they’ve perhaps merely misunderstood something and try to repair something that ain’t necessarily broken (or actually is, but they have no idea what to fill it with).

Edit:

Simply said, I want to know about the field they are trying to level.

Edit2:

My dilemma with this issue is why the temperature element division, fixation and ratio should be allowed to exist only the way they are provided.

Well, like they keep saying, there was a need for certain temp resist armors to fill in gaps.

Look at Light armors, the best you can get (Flawless Exceptional)

Darfari Chestpiece is at 84 defense.
Lemurian Royal Gown is at 80.
Light Chestpiece is at 84.
Relic Hunter Shirt is at 84.
Shemite Tunic is at 84.
Vanir Vest is at 76.
Zamorian Thief is at 84.
Zingaran Freebooter is at 86.

The resistance breaks down like this:

–Heat–
Darfari – 1-4
Light – 1-4
Relic Hunter – 1
Shemite – 1-4

–Cold–
Lemurian – 1-3
Vanir – 2-5
Zamorian – 1-4
Zingaran – 2

And now the additions of Tier 1 DLC:

Khitan (Cold) – 1-6
Acquilonian (Heat) - 1-6
Pictish (Heat) - 1-6
Yamatai (Heat) - 1-6
Turanian (Cold) - 1-6

The breakdown seems clear when you look at the level of heat resist.

Relic Hunter is completely useless in the Volcano, which is end-tier of where you need heat resist. The other heat resist armors being gimped to 1-4 is also bad.

Similarly, Lemurian is useless in the extreme cold final tier areas. So is Zingaran. Vanir was the best, and Zamorian probably “okay”.

So now the breakdown of usable armors in these places, becomes:

While you can use Darfari, Light, or Shemite, they aren’t that great.
Vanir and Zamorian are all you get for cold resist.

So it’s 3 over 2 when the first DLC was released, Khitan. So Khitan was given cold resist to balance this and compensate. Given the huge area of frozen land to cover.

Then comes the remaining 3 DLC packs, and they all get heat resist. Why should seem obvious, they are meant to replace the lesser armors with a lower quality heat resist.

So with the DLC, the breakdown now becomes:

Heat Resist: Yamatai, Acquilonian, Pict
Cold Resist: Khitan, Vanir, Zamorian

But Zamorian is even worse off now, so in comes the Tier 2 DLC, and Turanian is added with cold resist.

That skews the Cold Resist breakdown to Khitan, Turanian, Vanir.

I would imagine that we will see two more cold resist armors with Tier 2, and a single heat resist. That would give us 4 and 4 on each.

Is it what Funcom was thinking? No idea. But that is the breakdown based on time of release on the DLC packs, and using the stats found on the wiki.

Either way, the temperature system needs a massive overhaul. My hope is that eventually we’ll be able to pick a resistance for each armor crafted by applying a kit ourselves. Then we can decide what armor we wear, and where we wear it.

Ain’t this a conundrum
 They decided to go the way they did, sensed the issue and now are self-restrained of rewriting their mistakes due reasons; hence the on-going compensation practise. What are they waiting for? :thinking:

It’s more a problem of the fact that the endgame is pretty restrictive. We have an area of extreme heat and extreme cold to deal with. So that necessitates armors capable of surviving both.

At this point, the only honest solution is to put it in the hands of the player. Make craftable resist packs to apply to your armor, that doesn’t work the same as mod kits.

The packs override similar packs, but reject opposite packs. IE, if you put a Heat Resist 5 on something, it can be overriden with Heat Resist 1-4 or 6, but not Cold Resist 1-6.

So you can improve the resist you initially place on an armor piece, but you cannot totally change it to the opposite resist.

Then they would never have to worry about this balance issue again. Come up with materials to craft the packs that start out being available around noob river, but increasingly require more difficult materials to get, forcing you to explore into harsher territory.

It’s not -that- big a deal to craft these packs, really.

Heat Resist 1 - Hide
Heat Resist 2 - Leather
Heat Resist 3 -
Heat Resist 4 - Silk
Heat Resist 5 - Perfected Lining
Heat Resist 6 - Layered Silk

I’m not sure what else could be used that would be appropriate. The Perfected Lining could be a generic item just for the pack, but fashioned similarly to the specific perfected lining we have for epic armors.

Similarly, Cold resist packs, which are probably easier to devise:

Cold Resist 1 - Hide
Cold Resist 2 - Leather
Cold Resist 3 - Hyena Pelt
Cold Resist 4 - Wolf Pelt
Cold Resist 5 - Feline Pelt
Cold Resist 6 - Bear Pelt

Craft the packs at the Armorer’s Bench or Improved Armorer’s Bench.

Quick, easy, relatively painless. And Funcom no longer has to worry about “balance”, other than to establish what level each of these packs would become available.

1 Like

You are just getting wildly out of line now.

We’ve got evidence that Robert Howard himself put Native American influence into the Picts. You are now trying to argue that the creator himself is wrong and that your version is the only possible version that can exist.

I think at this point, you just need to back away from this. The fact that we have it shown that Howard himself stuck the Picts as Native Americans, but you are arguing against that, makes it look more and more that you are acting like a spoiled child.

And that this whole thing is really nothing more than a tantrum for you to get your way. Are you going to create another topic on this in a couple weeks when the 2nd Tier 2 DLC is released, and you object to the temperature resist it has been given?

@Crysis
The fact is that there are the people of the picts in scotland
I am german and accuracy and perfectionism is innate by the way i am 47 years old

and is Germany’s most important customer in Europe for funcom

Aber Funcom interessiert es und dort wurde entschieden das es genau so lÀuft. Ungeachtet aller Lore oder sonstigen Indikatoren die etwas anderes vermuten lassen. Lebe damit, den es wurde auch schon mehrfach von Funcom klar und eindeutig kommuniziert: das bleibt so und bestehende GegenstÀnde werden dahingehend nicht mehr verÀndert.
Das nÀchste DLC wird den Temperaturschutz haben von dem es aktuell im Spiel weniger gibt. Ungeachtet der Lore des DLCs.

Howard borrowed ideas and names from all over the world. He didn’t make his fictitious nations and peoples match real-world counterparts 1 to 1. That’s why e.g. Aquilonia takes inspiration from ancient Rome, but also from medieval/early Renaissance France, Germany and England. Zingara has Spanish vibes, but they’re not 100 % Spanish. Nordheimers were inspired by Scandinavians, especially Vikings, but they were not Xerox copies of Vikings.

The name “Picts” is taken from the Scottish peoples, but the aesthetics, culture and dress take inspiration from Native Americans as well as some African tribes. Howard describes his Hyborian Age Picts as very dark-skinned, and wearing loincloths and sandals.

Howard also wrote stories about real-world Scottish Picts, who are more close to what real Picts were. Then there were Picts in his King Kull stories from the Age of Atlantis, who were, again, different. This may confuse some readers.

The bottom line is, the Hyborian Age is a world of fiction that draws inspiration from the real world. It is not, and was not meant to be, perfectly analogous.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.