PlayStation Update 2.4/2.4.6 Official Discussion Megathread

Hola Andy, saludos, una pregunta sobre los servidores pve conflict. Yo jugaba en uno de ellos de la región de Europa, sabes si llegara algun dia que se pueda volver a jugar en esos mapas? Hay algo que esten solucionando para volver a ellos? Gracias un cordial saludo

I think this is a nugget of pure gold.

It is my opinion that one could reasonably expect the official (as opposed to fan) forums for a product to have the most up to date information dropped on them within the same 24 hour window as it appears on any other form of social media. While I understand the marketing tactic of releasing some information on one platform and other bits on different platforms to increase traffic and hits on page… It’s not exactly a thing that I condone.

Internally, I know not whether Funcom has a social media team or each media platform is a largely autonomous entity unto itself. In small-medium sized properties with a limited presence, it behooves one to unite their social media team to avoid the confusion of individual leads releasing one thing without telling the other platform monitors. In larger businesses, one can just keep a staff member tasked with following all the other platforms and reporting back as soon as something drops, so all venues have relatively up to date Intel, assuming the vp of marketing or media doesn’t just drop the mandates on the department as a whole all at once.
Of course, all of this assumes a full time cadre to make things work. An assumption easy to make and often inaccurate in the (mis-) Information Age

Everything is instantaneous, everything is eternal.

1 Like

Honestly I just want the twitch drops they said would be included in the patch(so they say). Its been months now

1 Like

I bought the Isle of Siptah expansion the day of release. I played it for maybe 10 days before getting sick of the bugs and issues. That was 2 months ago. I regularly check to see if there’s any update for the game but still nothing and no information anywhere on if its even in the process of coming.

I want to play the game I paid good money for. Where is the feedback funcom? Where is the communication? Thankfully this game wasn’t released in March. Can you imagine the mess it would have been back then? Its been available for PC for a year now. Why is it taking so long to sort this out for consoles?

You are losing loyal customers

2 Likes

Firstly, they’ve been on some kind of national level mandatory month long vacation. That’s going to slow everything down no matter what.

And second, consoles always take longer than PC because they have a bunch of extra hoops they have to jump through. You can thank Microsoft and Sony for that.

I agree that the mandatory vacation would slow things down. What I can’t and won’t agree on is this continued excuse of certification slowing everything down. Certification is not new. The process has been around for a very long time now. ALL of the other games I play manage to bring out updates with minimal fuss and funnily enough most do at at the same time as they update their pc side. Ppl have to stop blaming Sony and Microsoft for their certification process, it’s their to protect us, their consumers. The blame lies squarely on developers and their lack of ability to produce an update in a timely fashion that passes the same certification process as the last update they bought out. If blame must be assigned, which I don’t really agree with anyway than in all fairness it’s with funcom. I’m happy to wait. Keeping us informed is good enough for me. But the “blame Sony and Microsoft” parade is lame and nothing more than a crutch to lean on.

7 Likes

I’ve seen a few other companies fail certifications, but it’s usually been small projects with tiny teams when I’ve noticed it.

The Friday the 13th game failed cert on Xbox multiple times on the same patch. People weren’t happy about it. But that game barely even got released and then somehow ended up in a rights dispute that stopped them from releasing their dlc

It’s not a good look, and it’s certainly understandable that players get impatient waiting to play content every one else is already playing

2 Likes

Here is the last update I heard about

Here:

And here:

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Because they delay the PC update to match console. As Funcom themselves have done several times in the past.

2 Likes

Which is a great idea if you’re looking to ensure all your customer base feel as though they are treated equally and fairly.

4 Likes

It’s not so much about failing the certification as it is the certification itself.

Way back in the days of kings and queens and such, nobles would end up with cold food because somebody had to taste test it first to see if it was poisoned. (This is still a common practice, by the way.) Doesn’t matter if the food was actually poisoned or not, it was still cold by the time it reached the king. Everyone else who didn’t have to use a human guinea pig got to enjoy warm meals. You know, such as they were back then, but you get the idea.

It’s not a crutch or an excuse. It’s just a statement of fact. If a patch has to go through some extra steps on specific platforms, then those extra steps are the cause of a delay on those platforms. There’s no place else to go with it. The developer’s job is already essentially finished at that point. The rest is 100% the responsibility of whoever imposed those extra steps.

The only facts are that if the patch was in good working order than certification would take the normal week or so that it usually takes, not 2 and a half months. The developers job is to get the patch to pass certification. If it fails and is delayed that is not the fault of the process but of the patch itself ergo the developers job is not 100% done or we would already have the patch. I’m not having a go at the team here. I’m just not willing to pass the buck like you seem to be. Take as long as they need I’d rather it polished than rushed and game breaking.

2 Likes

Oh come on. This isn’t rocket science.

You have a completed patch. It’s ready to go, all you need to do is press one button and it’s out. There is nothing more for the developers to do.

PC, no further requirements, you can release any time.

Console, must go through extra certification process which can take several weeks. This is NOT to find bugs, but to evaluate whether or not the software will cause harm to or access the console in a way it’s not supposed to. This is a requirement imposed by the console manufacturers.

Now I ask you, what’s causing the delay on consoles v.s. PC? Is it the developers? No, obviously not. Is it because the patch isn’t ready to be deployed? Quite the opposite. Is it because it failed certification? Wrong again. The delay starts when the patch is finished, not after it goes through the certification process. So if the patch is complete and the developers are ready and willing to push it out, who holds responsibility for a specific delay which consistently only ever applies to consoles?

Now there very well could be other reasons for Funcom to decide to leave consoles a version or two behind PC. But what you need to understand that this certification process is a factor that is outside developers’ control by design. You can’t just pretend that it’s not.

If it’s not rocket science than why are you clearly struggling??? If the patch were ready for certification than why wouldn’t they press that button?? Just to annoy PlayStation users? If the patch were completed and passable it would have passed at the same time as Xbox did, two and half months ago!! Hell in their own words they are still working on it! Have you not looked at their own updates about it? Does that sound as if it’s “ press of a button” ready? Yes pc does not require certification because there’s no one but the developers to blame or hold accountable if the update screws things up. If They patch to Sony or Xbox and it screws the systems than those two entities are also liable, not just the developers. You are clutching at the feeblest of straws here. The certification process takes any other company a week or 2 at most. Your whole argument is flawed.

4 Likes

I’m not the one struggling with basic concepts here.

The discussion was why PC gets patches faster than consoles. Consoles have an extra step to go through once the patch is done. Ergo, the patch can be released on PC, but must go through the extra process before being released on consoles. This delay begins when the patch is completed, before the cert process. Not after.

Whether it passes or fails is completely irrelevant. That extra process is going to cause a delay exclusive to consoles that can and does sometimes take several weeks. And if the patch does happen to fail, it just means the delay will be even longer because now they have to fix whatever it was that made it fail that console’s cert process and resubmit it for certification, which again has nothing to do with the game perse.

You’re trying to place all of the blame squarely on the developers for something they have zero control over. The patch could be the most flawless patch ever in the history of software engineering, and it would still be delayed an extra few weeks on consoles because consoles require extra testing that PCs do not.

Understand? The formula for console patch release dates is completion + cert time, whereas for PC it is just completion. The console exclusive certification process itself adds time to the release date that PCs simply do not have to.

The discussion was about news of the update and led to a discussion that glanced on the fact that pc gets it faster. I never denied this. I have never denied that the console certification would delay console release, by a week or two at most. The patch is only completed once it has been coded correctly and PASSED the certification process, which it has not. Why you are completely ignoring this fact and calling it irrelevant is beyond me and apparently beyond yourself. Your arguing a completely different point. If the patch was “completed” as you are so adamant is the case than it would have passed the process in late June. Instead here we are in mid august and they are still working on “completing” their “completed” update in order to stop it from requiring an entire game download instead of just the patch code and THEN be sent to Sony for the required more 2 weeks for certification. How in the world has Sony caused that delay???

4 Likes

Uh, yeah, you did.

:roll_eyes:

It’s called context. Denied it was the cause of the current delay in this update yes that I did and do deny. What part of your formula do you have trouble equating? The part where it takes a week or two to pass a patch or the part where it is now 2.5 MONTHS behind?? I’ve stated several times in our discussion that I’m aware or the process and the time it would USUALLY take for it to be completed. The fact that 2 weeks has turned into nearly 11 is apparently irrelevant :joy::joy: the fact is the patch is not at certification yet. So how do you explain Sony being at fault for a patch they are yet to receive? I’m done talking with you. Apparently Sony is now responsible for the entire coding process AND the certification process as well.

5 Likes

Submit a patch. Two weeks later, you hear news that it failed certification. Take five minutes fixing what didn’t work and resubmit. Second set of results will take another two weeks. That’s an entire month where it’s out of your hands. Add a mandatory one month vacation. Boom. Two months easy with no developer involvement.

Not that hard to put together.