Please implement typing "I Agree" when recreating the character

so many? are there reliable numbers on this? i see 2-3 people who apparently don’t want to read and therefore demand the double, triple and quadruple safety net

or that the people do not read

4 Likes

hehe yes it have bean an on going problem sins EA, a well what i understans they have change the dealeat caracter abit but still next to the kill button. And after killing yourelf 100+ time you dont read anymore. Its a backbone movment.

And you know its only 1 of 10 that take the time to complain so alredy in youre count its 20-30 that have done it and thats just now then ad several years of the game… so yes its alot off missclicks!

1 Like

It should absolutely have an “I agree” feature. Or even, an additional option within the “I agree” window with a tiny checkbox that states “I do not want to see this again”. That way people can chose not to have that safety net (if they are so inclined). The reality is that a quality game provides a vast amount of options and customization to it’s players. A product should cater to everyone, generally, but leave room for options, and many of them. There are a few games that do this right, and then there are games like Conan Exiles, that have left their GUI a mess with very few features or options. A little brushing up would go a long way in improving game play. (Because the GUI is a part of the game!)

1 Like

Not just an agree, a need to type in #Dealete" after that to!

1 Like

Personally, I find Yes/No prompt for Bracelet removal, and a manual type-in confirmation for character reset, pretty easy to distinguish due to muscle memory. Perhaps, also due to muscle memory, the proximity of suicide and character reset options could benefit from some distancing if the aforesaid suggestions aren’t realized.

3 Likes

I agree to this. Or just move the buttom into system settings or something so its not that easy to accidently click ?

3 Likes

Or maybe make the pop ups different colors. The long winded speech on th emenu is also going to be ignored because, well people in general see that wall of text and just skim it.

a simple “Stop, you are about to completely reset your character to level 0” is quick and will be read way more than the speech.

2 Likes

Transfers require typing, I think deleting your toon should too. ESPECIALLY because on the menu it’s so close to the easy way out, which I take no fewer than 3 times daily.

In the old days (sory cool story bro) when you simply clicked Recreate Character, it would start the process. In many cases irrevocably. Therefore I get @mconn02’s position, because I’m super-vigilant about never clicking wrong. In fact, I’m glad someone posted the screen grab because I’m still petrified about clicking it.

Either change the menu location, or add the confirmation typing, both would be preferable. Playa opinion.

12 Likes

This has happened to me twice now when trying to remove bracelet only to delete my character.

Muscle memory kicked in (open menu, toggle down twice, press X twice)
Lag kicked in both times however and boom, character deleted :frowning:

It’s almost happened a couple more times but I’ve luckily caught myself before the final confirmation.
If the recreate character option could just be moved down a few bars in the menu that would be nice :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And is that why you’re not a corporate programmer anymore? :rofl:

What point were you trying to get across? Do you spend a lot of time recreating characters at breakneck speed and just can’t be bothered with the slowdown an extract dialog box would create?
Is there some disadvantage to this only you can see?

I swear, internet forums have a certain segment of people who don’t actually have an opinion of their own, they just argue the opposite.

PS - If I asked one of my programmers to implement something easy and their response was to laugh and NOT do it, they would be given the option to reconsider or find another job. But I guess you’ve already experienced that. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It is absolutely true that at some point, you cannot add any further text or explanation and expect a different result - if people don’t read the text, then it doesn’t matter what the text says. An issue I’m sure most designers (and by extension programmers) is familiar with. Very familiar. It appears the explanation text and (difference in) the size of the box is as clear as could be. So no further change needed there.

What could (and IMO should) be done is exactly what OP is asking for: Not a different or more thorough explanation, but a different action (typing in “delete character” or, perhaps even better, the character name).

For a rare “command”, the misuse of which has fairly serious consequences to the user (in the context of the game), making sure that this is the user’s intent is good. Since this is not a time-critical command where the additional user-input provides a hindrance, it only prevents grief for no meaningful cost.

True. Early in my career, I’ve sometimes been asked to do something which I’ve had to explain why I didn’t think it was the right move, and most of the time that was taken on board and the idea scrapped or changed, but other times the response has been “yes, but do it anyway” - perhaps because I didn’t have the whole picture, it doesn’t really matter. The professional thing to do is to then go and do it. By all means raise concerns, that’s part of your job, and if in a sufficiently hostile environment (which I haven’t yet experienced myself), document those concerns. Then do what you’re told*.

*unless it causes harm or is directly illegal or something, I suppose, IANAL.

Anyway, all this to say I agree with OP, for all that it has never happened to me, and I have been a serial bracelet suicider in my time.

5 Likes

I think also, to recreate your character should take the same steps as a transfer, so to type the character’s name or delete. I am with Barnes & Mikey here.

3 Likes

At some point, the responsibility is on the entity between the chair and the monitor.

Also why was this necro’d? Testerle addressed this pretty well three and a half years ago. Nothing has changed and nothing really needs to be changed. SMH

1 Like

I disagree that nothing has to be changed. And it is not necesseary to devalue other peoples opinion using well known phrases. It is a game and the players cannnot be expected to behave like experienced unix users. But the thread was necroed, indeed.
As recreating a character is not less destructive then transfering a character, it makes sense to use here at least the same security level. And whar was not mentioned was also the option to create a new game… A security paracute here does not hurt.

Cheers.

1 Like

Except there is one. Testerle showed it, twice.

If the current system isn’t working, requiring someone to type something isn’t going to help either. The OP and others like them will still accidently delete their characters. There’s literally nothing the devs can do to fix that.

This is not a development problem. But a personal discipline one.

Well this topick have bean a hotpotato sins day 1 on the forum, it have bean a big demand on that funcom must do somting about this big problem in the game.

1 Like

This seems like a pretty reasonable request to me, as I’ve seen similar systems work in other games.

I knew a guy on City of Heroes who couldn’t figure out how to delete his character because you had to type the characters full name to confirm deletion. Unfortunately the name was a series of capital i and lower case l and he couldn’t remember which was which :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I think a notarized signed affidavit should be required to recreate a character.

Damn I’m willing to wager a large sum that someone will still accidently delete their character even with that.

1 Like

if something is actually safe, and it is in this case, you just have to read it, i see absolutely no reason to waste further developer resources on it.

if we now add to this dialog the input of the name to confirm the process, then it won’t be long before a new topic is opened: i thought i was transferring my char and now i’ve deleted it… we need an additional safety net… ask for the color of my underwear… maybe?

4 Likes

'HEHE yes thats funny, yes you read it the first 10 time you do it not after 100, then the speed to get to the new locaton more in focus. Spec ex if you are in a hurry in pvp or need to go somer be some loot decay!

And if its so safe, whay have it bean sutch a constant hot topic in the games history?

1 Like