PLEDGE: Give us a HARD Block limit/ Placement pieces on Official Servers

Even if it is close to the noob zone, surely building in a cave where you can get to the other end using another way that maybe takes you 30s longer can’t be enough to destroy a base and ban people for 2 weeks?

Well I suspect the entire context is more illuminating. Absent the whole picture, we can only speculate.

2 Likes

True. I will tell them to send another message to zendesk and hope that funcom answers this time.

I’m not sure honestly. It wouldn’t surprise me on an official because its a named location.

This is the kind of thing that irks me about these posters. It can’t really be the case that folks getting banned or wiped can’t figure out why.

There are just about an unlimited combination of build styles and locations in this game. If you get admin wiped for one just step outside yourself and try again with something different.

It’s like the typical person complaining here builds an 8k mega structure in the middle of a POI, get’s admin wiped, but then complains about the rules being unclear when they are banned a second time for building a 4k mega structure in the same place. After all, it was half the size… o0

I refuse to believe they can’t actually see that one of the most obvious solutions it’s just to go to the other side of the map, check one of those interactive maps for The Exiled Lands or for The Isle of Siptah, check for POI and asset conflicts, and build to a utilitarian specification for awhile.

I wouldn’t care and I’m not talking about you @tobi04 or anyone in specific, but then they come here and demand game changes that would mess up the game and not even solve anything.

It’s like, wait, you couldn’t figure out how to build within the rules that have been there for over a year but you want us to believe you know how to change the game for the better - and worse “pledge” with you in your ruinous plans?

I agree that might be the case for some of the people that come on here but not for all. My friends base for example wasn’t close to any named map location, didn’t block any npc spawns. The only thing it prevented from spawning was a single rock node. It wasn’t overly massive (below 5k pieces). A different clan on the same server had about 25k pieces, spammed through the water in jungle, occupying multiple jungle Islands and they didn’t get banned. To my friends (and also to me who has seen most of the bases on that server) funcoms decision seems very questionable which is why my friends asked for specific information which they didn’t receice yet

1 Like

Yeah, it doesn’t matter, I was just using POI as an example. Whatever it is the person was admin-wiped for… Don’t do that - obviously, duh. And I refuse to believe they dunno what it was - in like 98% of the cases talked about on these forums. The other 2% would know if they were just honest with themselves. In your friends case I think it’s so obvious it hurts!

Number of parts used seems to be the complainer’s scape-goat when that is almost never the reason in the 1st place anyway. It’s like: I was banned, I asked why, FC said land claim abuse, but I only used 8k parts.I’m not telling anyone I was directly in front of a vault - lol, Funcom will look bad and I will gain victim status YAY! … IMO even just asking for specific information demonstrates an inappropriate mindset - or at least certainly not the most efficacious. It likely means they’re already trying to lawyer it - jeez, just do the opposite of whatever you were doing and move on. But alas, no… instead we all have to hear about it here over and over, we have to be exposed to people referring to decent designers and coders with toxicity and malice. Or we’re asked to “pledge” to change the game because those people couldn’t just change it up and move on.

It’s becoming a thing here, and it’s absolutely the fault of a few personality types. UG!

2 Likes

I’m going to play devil’s advocate here.

So far you two have been talking about a group of players in this hypothetical/anecdotal back and forth. But there is one thing that stands out to me:

They asked on zendesk what they were banned for and got the answer that it apparently was for claim spam and blocking off content.

One of the issues, and I’m willing to give @tobi04 the benefit of the doubt here, is he probably wasn’t aware of everything his friends built. In my experience, the larger your group of friends, the more likely someone is going to be stepping out of line somewhere. You all know what I mean. There’s always that one florida man in your group.

Well when you play on officials, you need to keep a tight reign on everyone you play with. You can say whatever about that policy, but it is one you sign up for the moment you create your character. And given the tools available, its not likely ever to change (just a FYI even mods can’t really differentiate between an individual or a clan, Pippi’s heatmap for example throws and error when I try to look at an individual who’s in a clan, I have to look at their whole clan).

In this case, someone didn’t block a POI. Someone put foundations around someone else’s base. The question is, who? But that’s a subject for tobi04 and his friends to discuss.

By the way I do speak from personal experience having had clanmembers do far far worse things. Private servers are usually a bit more forgiving on case by case situations. But this one was likely going to result in me getting banned anyway. However I alerted the admins (yeah I snitched basically) what was going on. So they took measures to fix the situation and even offered to help me relocate after the twits got themselves banned.

Lost a few friends because of it. But I can’t be friends with people who would do things out of malice to another like that over some dumb stuff. Not going to go into details. But when I do take the stances I do on this subject, it is not out of anything arbitrary. I do have legit personal experiences, and have seen some real nasty players in this game and in others.

1 Like

I have in all of those points…what irks me in the build styles on pvp is the crap design and the mental laziness of it. This is your base of operations and yet the planning of said base is next to nothing. So how do you think that sits with someone like me that spends hours scouting and building discreetly with trial and error and needing to rebuild because its not right…my bases tend to last, not yet raided, and sticks to under 1k. Heck I got 4 bases on my storage server that never got raided and still sitting under 10k and I’m ashamed of it…now imagine my surprise to see other PvPers that don’t take that time to build correctly now feeling the hammer of the efficiency gods displeasure…whining about it and having the audacity to say that folks just don’t understand the requirements of PvP… WTH? Ever thought that a black ice brick in middle of the open or building in the popular spots was a bad idea? Did it even cross your mind?

2 Likes

It’s not a bad idea at all. Please keep building like this. It’s like a tootsie pop. Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What a claim, you can raise havoc with one block? noone asked what you can do with one block.

There are rules for that.

We want hard fact of what is BIG? if running in laptop mode, i could screenshot my bad FPS on all build.

Me as a builder wanna know what is big, you cannot build big with one block. U dumb bro, stay on topic. Nobody wanna know what you can do with your “one” block.

1 Like

I can’t fathom why this debate continues, it’s been discussed ad nauseam. There is a build limit number: It is 1. If you build at all on official servers you are subject to FC’s judgment. If you don’t like that, go to privates, it seems like that is FC’s preference anyway.

In my mind, the pro limits crowd still have yet to demonstrate that FC banning practices are overly oppressive, haven’t provided any reasonable counterpoints to the problems hard limits introduce, or adequately addressed how limits solve the actual problem of player behavior.

People arguing for “clearer” rules or limits actually just want power. Power taken from FC and given to them instead. It’s not going to happen and it probably shouldn’t. Our playerbase is less trustworthy with power than FC, at least in my estimation.

Play on officials and live under FC’s tyranny. Play on privates and live under someone else’s tyranny. Or shell out some cash to become the tyrant yourself.

6 Likes

Some additional clarification regarding what funcom considers excessive would be great, though. Even if it’s just pictures and screenshots of bases that break the rules. Examples of what not to do. As has been stated before, “Excessive” is a subjective term, because everyone’s definition of excessive is different. What some consider reasonable may be excessive to others.

FWIW, I don’t think that a hard limit needs to be placed, and by far and large I have no issues with funcom’s size restrictions. However, I build with the sword of Damocles hanging over my head because I view my base as reasonable, but others might not. (It’s a 7x7 pillar base with about 5 layers of anticlimb and about 12 thralls/pets on the interior)

1 Like

I agree it would be nice to have that. However, asking FC to provide that is asking them to give up some of their power of judgment. I was hopeful that the community here could step in and provide this to our fellow players, by providing examples of our own banned bases in a civil manner. That didn’t happen and and any meaningful discussion regarding what we thought FC’s idea of appropriate devolved into chaos.

1 Like

They gave that to us already!

I highlighted it myself in this very thread!

This will never stop will it? sigh…

Are we talking about the land claim spam? Cuz we’ve already acknowledged that it is unacceptable.

Or are you talking about the youtube links that you linked regarding “approved” constructions, because we also acknowledge that they should be approved.

That said, there’s 160 replies in this thread, so it may be that I missed something. That said, additional clarification is NEVER a bad thing. The more clear-cut the rules are, the better it is to understand. That applies to most rules, not just Conan/Funcom. I mean, if they screenshotted a few bases prior to wiping them every so often, and posted them in a “Hall of Shame” thread or something, then we’d have more examples (and entertainment). When someone gets admin wiped and they whine and moan about it, we can then link to that thread and say “Did your base look like these? Don’t do that” instead of having arguments about a subjective term

1 Like

I think it’s more about how much stuff you have in inventory stored in containers

Why? How much space does one need on a server? Not that much even with the newer building pieces which are huge.

Multiple bases are inefficient and hard to defend so one base is enough.

I watched this game from inception on officials. People do some dumb stupid crap just to grief others or deny them access to loot, POIs or both.

Ive got very little sympathy for griefers.

Further clarification if needed, sure.

But before you do look in the mirror and theres half your problem.

1 Like

To my understanding FC has not officially clarified the parameters by which they deem bases unacceptable. They may have restated what has been in the ToS since like 2 years ago, but I don’t believe they have expanded on where exactly unacceptable server lag begins.

For the player, yes. Not for FC. Clear rules make them beholden to those rules giving them less power to make justifiable subjective decisions. They have to play judiciary to these rules, ruling on them and adapting them to combat would be rule-laywers who seek to push the boundaries at the expense of others.

2 Likes

I can concede your point to a limited extent. I still believe that they can clarify the rules a bit by simply showing examples what is not acceptable. To be honest, I like my “Hall of Shame” idea. Posting some of the more egregious offenders as bad examples would give a clearer idea of what is not acceptable while at the same time not specifying any hard limits or outlining specific rules. Simply “Don’t build like an a-hole or you get put into the Hall of Shame” is good enough for me.

4 Likes