Poison and Bleed obsolete Heavy Armor?

Or you can apply physics to it. Fast objects versus armour- Energy / (kinetic) = Mass x Velocity ^2.

Yeah but remember mitigated by padding all armor has under it.

Blunt weapons, such as mauls, warhammers and poleaxes were quite effective against fullplate in the real world. Getting smashed over the head with the hammer-head of a poleaxe would still leave you with a concussion, even without penetrating the armour.

1 Like

Agreed. Logic is served with that. But if you have a full suit of armor and no exposed skin and 3 layers of protection( Steel or heavy iron outside with chainmail under and under it all heavy padding.or leather. Some guy comes at with a knife and stabs you anywhere except maybe slot for the eye if the blade is long enough how much touch of your body underneath is he likely to hit ?

None of the heavy sets in Conan offer full coverage visually. Heavy Silent Legion / Redeemed Legion / Champion has oodles of plate coverage and chainmail, but only leather covering the hands and feet. Leather can be pierced, there’s your entry point, chainmail whilst awesome at protection against slashing weapons, is less effective against piercing if the weapon can get past the links.

2 Likes

No. Just no. Have you even seem the leather on a gauntlet ? It could turn a blade . Also there is metal along the palm and the boots are heavy leather also and are you going to duck down and expose yourself to hit the foot ? And there are no nail sized blades in the game so no they would not get through the mail. It would take multiple stabs at the perfect angle to get through the heavy leather hence the % chance of adding a stack of poison or bleed and not on every hit.

1 Like

You are basically forcing a Rochambeau here. I will say to you Silk beats Leather. It’s lighter, it’s much less likely to spoil with excessive heat, and it can stop lethal pierce every time.

Mail is dangerous. If you can get into the ringlet with enough velocity, you basically have a blunt stab wound on a person or a compound fracture if vs bone. I learned about the Battle of Towton and the horrific injuries of well-armoured men.

The Khan himself devised silk blouses for his cav archers. If penetrated, the warrior would pull the edges of the material and “pop” the head out of his body, as it had likely not made its way through the silk. You can’t say the same for leather, which requires maintenance and replacement.

3 Likes

Yes concussion was and is the way to go on heavy armor and you need a very hard and tapered end like a spike to pop mail effectively otherwise it would just glance off and throw you off balance in the process. I didn’t say armored was invincible I just said it takes time to get through hence , again, the % of chance add a stack of poison or bleed but again not on every hit.

Also have you seen a dagger that has stabbed into mail that was not designed to do so ? It has a high change to snap the tip of the dagger off and it would fall uselessly to the ground.

Oh, and agreed silk is a great material.

Wow, this person asked a question about maybe buffing heavy armor to be stronger against bleeds or poison and somehow you think he is asking for a nerf?

No one is stopping you from commenting, but please try to comment on the topic of the thread instead of derailing it to go on a rant about how you hate nerfs.

He never even mentioned PVP, I’m not sure where you got the idea that he was talking about it as many NPCs also use poison and bleeding attacks.

2 Likes

Agreed. I believe the perceived “nerf” was to players using these debuffs and depending heavily on them for damage while running around and dodging like they’re on fire. Again agreed their are many sources of bleed and poison having nothing to with pvp.

1 Like

Crazy idea, why don’t you adapt and adjust your armor choices? I know, crazy.

You have access to the same weapons and armor as every one else, there is no reason you can’t problem solve the challenges presented and gear yourself appropriately.

1 Like

The real thing here is game balance. Whether you agree with it or not, the game developers obviously wanted Damage-over-time effects to be effective against heavy armor, whereas regular attacks have a reduced effect.

As soon as we start discussing the logic of how the poison/bleed effect contacts the target’s body, we’re veering dangerously close to discussing realism. There are a lot of necessary abstractions in every video game, especially regarding weapons and armor. Swords are very, very popular in action fantasy and swashbuckling adventures, but wearing any sort of armor in the real world makes one practically immune to cuts. Most cultures in the world invented swords or sword-like objects at some point in their history, but as far as I know, only one major culture equipped their military with swords as their primary weapon. And even they struggled when they encountered enemy civilizations whose armies wore armor.

The armor designs in Conan Exiles, on the other hand, tend to leave major portions of the wearer’s body exposed. If we wanted to simulate realism, we’d need to calculate the angle the blade contacts, the force behind the blow, whether it hits a strap, a buckle, or a metal armor piece or exposed skin, etc. Just about every bladed weapon will cause bleeding, and wounds will infect and fester if not properly treated. (No, eating two handfuls of maggots is not proper wound treatment.)

That’s why we need to accept some compromises between realism, game balance and “cool factor” in video games.

7 Likes

Dots are the anti-armor solution and that’s how it should be. If you have a cut or you’re poisoned, you’ll bleed and suffer the same no matter what you’re wearing.

3 Likes

I didn’t really have a strong opinion about the subject, I wasn’t asking for the change personally, I was just commenting on a particular response.

I can understand the idea behind limiting some dot against heavy armor. I do think that armor penetration and stamina limitations are ment to be the anti armor solution, because while dot does effect heavy armor users it effects all armor types equally

I just thought it was unnecessary to attack the original poster and claim he was a pvper asking for nerfs when he doesn’t mention PvP or ask for a nerf

1 Like

Let’s not change the armour stats based on looks :slight_smile:

If I want to run around in half naked heavy armour please let me

8 Likes

I am shocked no one mentioned Survival for this topic.

It reduces the length and effects of negative status effects. Maybe try this.

But having 40 points in Vitality is always better.

8 Likes

It is hard to dodge some mobs who will spray you with poison and unless you have your shield up (sorry 2 hander lovers , I am not one those btw) you are getting large stacks of poison/bleed. Dodge obviously takes stamina and stamina needs to recharge to used again and heavy is slower at recovery it is easy to see where this goes . Heavy is not a preferred armor type because of this the very very slow recovery of stamina. Now for the pvp aspect.

Cool and while you have it on you your stamina begins to recover faster until the debuff is off. /s You see the issue yet?

Dot and run , Dot and run always with more stamina to get away. They are making a perfect kiting scenario and kiting has been around forever, but unfortunately for us who like heavy armor this game doesn’t balance this with with a way to prevent this beyond hit them with a crippling arrow and guess what they have plenty of stamina to run around and dodge so have fun with that. Many game also allowed a gap closer to mitigate kiting , CE doesn’t have that aside from a lunge that can easily be avoided. And if you are going to be cute or condescending and bring up cripple on other weapons don’t as they don’t compete in how slow you can stack meaningful cripple stacks on a target that can just dodge run and reapply their debuffs much faster.

What I asked/asking for is a percentage chance that the debuff will not apply to those wearing Full Heavy armor to prevent this obvious meta from happening.

Build a set shrine and craft “Set Antidotes”.
Or craft Violet Curative.

1 potion removes all stacks of poison.

That’s how we do it in PvP, where everyone uses reaper poison applied to their weapons or the Zath Spear. Set Antidotes are preferred, because violet curative gives alcohol debuff, which reduces your stamina pool for like 30 seconds. Very fatal in PvP actually, to have reduced stamina.

Thank you. You realize you just proved my point again or rather half of it with “Very fatal in PVP actually, to have reduced stamina” and don’t try yelling context as this applies across the board. And “That’s how we do it in PVP” was unnecessary and arrogant way of saying if you say anything or do not do what we say you are not a “proper” pvper. Please just leave that out of the discussion.

Nothing arrogant with that. I am simply stating that this is how we (in other words: me and my friends) do it in PvP. If you feel offended, because you don’t play PvP, I am sorry.

I am trying to give you hints to improve your experience. Additionally, I am telling you why I do this and that.

You might also consider 40 Survival, since this perk eliminates poison immediatly.

2 Likes