POLL => Roll/Dodge Changes

Shut up! Dont give ideas to developers for the next stupid innovations! I can already see how, after the next update, the fighter with daggers jumps at a speed of 1/4 of the current one, hovering in the air so that it would be more convenient for the enemies to chop it into pieces…

Add the fact that often a slave is simply inactive when you fight a crowd of furious savages.
But the slave rises. For what? In order for him to look even more focused on how enemies are killing you? Applaud standing last update! To crap so, the developers really had to put a lot of effort.

Eventhough I fully agree with you, you should be more careful choosing your words. Your post is a valid argument, but people might ignore it because of the toxicity in there.

1 Like

There are some constructive criticism currently being flagged as inappropriate? What is going on?

Guys, I know you don’t like the new roll. I hate it, too. But some people love them and when they give you their reason for loving it, it is not inappropriate. We should not use flag system to silence the opposition.

2 Likes

I agree completely. the sidestep was just fine, speed and distance alike. just give everyone that rather than the new dodge roll and people will be alot happier.

I hope we get a hot fix tomorrow :slight_smile:

I agree in that if they want to make agility relevant, they shouldn’t remove a feature that’s already in the game and make it possible through agility, it should be worth in its own right

2 Likes

After finally updating game… (had delete Re-Zero and DD:DA…not happy)

5mins in, massive hate for it.

20mins in… I no longer wanted to play.

Its now 4pm… started at 9am, I’m really to uninstall.

It feel like the game is going from 25fps to 1fps everytime I roll, I’m rolling in snot and glue and slow spell from Final Fantasy, and as soon as it wears off, the games back to normal.

Movement is driving me insane…

Didnt find a foal… so i kinda have reason to log back in. But dont want to now.

Is it sacrilege to miss the EA combat system? This attacking while standing is like 50 IQ points less for all NPCs and animals than it used to be.

*Posted this above in my edited post as well. Very confusing change by Funcom.

So after A LOT more play time from my daughter, she has said that Funcom took away the quick pokes when the shield is not Held Blocking…so basically the same wild swing as 1 hand with no shield. She can still quick poke with the shield Held Blocking but it is like it was before where it is just only good for 1 poke. So in her words the 1 Handed Spears are pretty much useless now. She put the spear away and just uses the sword. She may try the short sword to see if there is any useful poking. No idea why Funcom would make a change like this to Hasta/Dory…really confusing.

I know this is about Dodge/Roll but having a Piercing/Poking style agility+shield based character has to have a good Dodge/Roll and Counter system. The Old System was maybe a little too good? This new one is fine but then a double down on nerfing what should not have been nerfed (Hasta/Dory in this case). Hardened Steel Dory is the top of the line 1 handed spear so a lot of damage is sacrificed in lieu for being able to quick poke damage and stay light on her/your feet. She can also tank bosses well this way by keeping their attention and letting others damage it down. Now…???

In any case…she wants to old system back. She is kind of disgruntled about this whole thing.

1 Like

REGARDING INCREASED CHALLENGE:
The Race to the Top vs The Race to the Bottom

I have posted this in the Movement thread too, but shall also post it here in the hope that the good peoples at Funcom will spot it. A lot of you have heard me raising this issue recently, and I feel that now is the perfect opportunity to expand upon this. I am one person who WOULD like to see the game become more challenging, especially in regards to NPC mobs. However I genuinely feel that we have been going about it the wrong way. Our character currently feels like they have inferior dexterity and constitution, while Thralls are some 1400% stronger than us! As another user rightly stated, it is like we are the slave, and the slave is the hero. Allow me to ask a question; does being more reliant on AI characters ever make you feel more like the games hero in any situation…? We are creating ‘challenge’ by adding handicaps and movement penalties to the character, instead of simply enhancing or overhauling NPC opponents to be more challenging. For example, instead of weakening the player character, we could give enemies a quick lunge attack, a power attack, a taunt which will power up the next attack or allow them to regain a small amount of health, T4 characters could randomly perform dodge rolls, and most of all…speed up enemy NPC animations! If you want to make the game more challenging then that is fine. But adjust enemies up, not players down. I hope this makes sense.

11 Likes

I’ll agree with you here too and scream it up at the mountain tops hoping the gods of code will hear our plea.

2 Likes

Now you know the pain of having something you were very used to and very excelled at suddenly taken away from you. Thank you. Welcome to the club.

guys thanks you for all this fun from forum. All this river of tear made my day again xD

You wana know what’s fun about this patch ? It’s the fact that nobody had try to learn the game mechanic since a year or two, because everyone was rolling in light armor with spear, or running around with a thrall completing the game for them.

And now that the comfort zone have broke you guys feel naked, and all you have left is keyboarding on the forum, can you people could try to… i don’t know… Learn the game for once ?

4 Likes

The changes to dodge make combat less interesting, less tactical, and less fun. It limits build options, encouraging combatants to wear only heavy armor while standing in place to fight. There is no viable incentive to wearing light armor for combat now, the difference between the rolls is just not significant.

Heavy armor definitely needed something to make it a better choice for players, but I think that something could be added without gutting the usefulness of light and medium armor, especially considering that there was a build option that allowed for better dodging in heavy armor. Where is the perk that makes light armor good now?

Using dodge to gain distance makes combat more dynamic. Because that feature was tied to armor class, it made each tier of armor feel distinct and helped link build choices to play style. Combat now seems much simplified at the expense of fun.

You know some flawless medium can offer you 700+ armour protection, that is nearly same as much as some epic heavy armour (not flawless)

I think if someone is fighting in light armor they are a slight bit of a disadvantage alright but they can certainly put distance between you and them quicker, bow built and variations of it!
Anyhow light armor should be at a disadvantage to heavy it is just how it was in real life.

Medium is similar to light but offers good protection compared to it ! The are some legendary armor that would give you an excellent built with this new set up !

Let me ask you this ? How would you fix the problem ? Without reverting it back as I think for me that would not be a good solution as I like the way it feels now

no other option than tweak and adjust new mechanics of dodging and movement…because rolling back to old stuff not an option (old roll is cancer for pvp and make pve too easy), and from aestetic and immersion ponit it looks awfull
peps just rolling from any battle, 1 roll = 3-10 meter jump (depends on lag), how this can be good?

2 Likes

I think the realism argument falls flat when we are talking about a game balance issue. If we are looking to history as a guide, then most people should not even have access to heavy armor. You should also need a special thrall to help you get in to and out of the armor, which will leave you overheated in most climates if you wear it for long. Realism isn’t always fun.

The issue for game balance is that each armor type should bring something to the table for players in terms of combat performance. Before the patch, heavy armor lagged behind the other two. As you noted, medium armor could offer nearly as much protection while offering a substantial increase to dodge distance. With the changes to dodge, the only substantive difference between the armor classes now is damage reduction (and, of course, style, but that’s another discussion entirely), a category in which heavy always wins.

The problem with your limitation is that the old system is far better at differentiating the armor classes. Previously, we had a system in which dodge allowed players to put distance between themselves and their attackers. In light and medium armor, dodge could put you out of range of most melee attacks, with players having the option to spend more stamina to get more distance if they needed it. This system works really well with the stamina system and the terrain in that you needed an awareness of your surroundings and enough stamina to get clear without exhausting yourself.

The issue with this system is heavy armor. The sidestep avoided relatively few attacks and spending more stamina to increase distance got prohibitively expensive in short order. You were essentially trading the possibility of 100% mitigation by not being there for whatever the mitigation on your heavy armor ended up being (always less than 100). The advantage was not having to give up your position as often as lighter armored melee users, and some players did enjoy that style. For most, it was easier to rely on evasion.

My solution would be rolling back to the old system and making changes to heavy armor to make it a more interesting option, focusing on increasing the ability of the heavy armor user to actively avoid damage while maintaining their position. Adding in additional iframes to the old sidestep animation is one simple way this might be accomplished. It gives heavy armor users the ability to avoid more damage while staying in close and leaves lighter armors their advantage in movement.

The current solution creates more problems than it fixes and is simply not fun for a large portion of the userbase.

3 Likes

i think with light armor i think it should be a bit of a better role (but not as crazy as the old one)

but for mid and heavy i would have the new on!

As somebody who’s had a lot more time to test this out (due to TestLive), may I make a tactical suggestion here? I think @Aether just sparked something I think a few people might want to try. I’m not going to name any names, but a lot of the notable players who are more troubled by this change are much better gamers than they think they are. This system requires a new approach.

head            chest           hands          legs          feet

ENC build – Flwls Light --------- Flwls Poit Mid -------- Flwls Light ----- Flwls Poit Mid ----- Flwls Light
STR build – Flwls Darfari ------- Flwls Kambujan ----- Flwls Darfari — Flwls Turan Mid — Flwls Darfari
SUR build – Flwls Turan Lt ----- Flwls Pict Mid ------- Flwls Turan Lt ---- Flwls Pict Mid — Flwls Turan Lt

Three example armor types that get you 9 points in the chosen attribute, retain Light Armor status and achieve 347 Damage Reduction points or better.

2 Likes