Posting what you dont like

Apparently, I’m not as mellowed out by my vacations as I thought I was, because all I could think of after reading your post was a certain unquotable phrase uttered by Krusty the Clown.

What’s wrong with your post?

For starters, ain’t no such thing as a Code of Conduct. They have a post called “Terms of conduct, guidelines and procedures”, which describes the rules they expect you to follow if you want to play on official servers. The rest of us call that post “Terms of Service” (TOS), but even that’s inaccurate.

The reason I say it’s inaccurate is because TOS is usually a legal agreement. There’s nothing legally binding about Funcom’s forum post that I linked above. The legal situation here is extremely simple: Funcom is paying G-Portal to host a bunch of Conan Exiles servers and they’re allowing players access to those servers at no charge, but they’re still the ones in charge of those servers and have the full legal freedom to deny anyone access to them.

This is no different from a private server you could rent: if you’re the one paying for it, you hold the keys, and you can kick or ban anyone on it without any legal repercussions.

They have no legal obligation to do any of the things you complain about:

Pray tell, Mr. Armchair Lawyer, what’s your legal argument here, since you’re looking for someone “willing to open litigation against Funcom”?

Is it, perhaps, that you’re a customer and that you’re “always right”? Because that ain’t a legal argument, that’s just entitlement of the worst kind.

Do you even know what you paid for? Here’s what you paid for: the license to play the game. You don’t even own the game, you license it. And if you get banned from a server or your stuff on the server gets deleted, you are still able to play the game. You didn’t pay for access to any server when you purchased the game, and there’s no guarantee of any access to any server implied in your transaction.

By the way, since you’re into legal stuff, there’s actually a legally binding document called EULA (End-User License Agreement) that explicitly states that they reserve the right to even revoke your access to the game itself, at their discretion:

Speaking of EULA, you really should get acquainted with it. For one thing, you’ve already agreed to arbitration and waived your right to bring your “grivences” to court. The document explains this in detail, and also spells out the appropriate jurisdiction.

So good luck with your litigation :man_facepalming:

6 Likes