PRivate Owners, found out how servers may get corrupted

SO i had my private up and running for about a week, (Ps4). When me and another admin got kicked while building. they were building an arena, i was going thru spawning different “captured” versions of thralls to see what admin specific ones (not in game) we could have, thier stats, et5c. Turns out one of the thralls i spawned in and tried to place corrupted the files. G-Portal told me as much, and that there are about a dozen known non ingame thralls that will corrupt your server files if you try and place.

so @hugo or @Ignasi
Can we as paying private owners get a list of those thralls to insure we don’t accidentally corrupt our files using in game admin mechanics? I would rather it not be possible to even spawn them into inventory if they can do catastrophic damage to server, but at least knowing which ones would help.

As an owner, console private servers are already severely limited in creativity without mods, .db access, etc., the least we can hope for is we can’t accidentally break our servers, and wipe our players time spent to revert to a back up file due to trying to find unique event rewards and challenges. We have to spawn them in as captured so they can last, plus be able to put reward loot on them because any NPC spawned in as a true NPC is erased on server restarts.

1 Like

Good info, WMHB.

Do you backup your server? I use a tool that let’s me pull the gamebackup files off of the server every few hours and then I perform a full backup of the server weekly. I learned my lesson the hard way in the past to get plenty of backups.

1 Like

I am on PS4. And i only had a backup from 7-29, as i have to do it manually every time.
but it still does not address that there is a way for an admin to accidentally break the game without even knowing it.

2 Likes

I have read here in the forum rabbit breaks your character requiring server reset

1 Like

Seems best to test in offline game

1 Like

I don’t understand. Please explain.

1 Like

I think the rabbit can be spawned in, and if you flag as captured, when you place it, it kicks you out of game and corrupts your files. You can spawn them as a normal NPC, and nothing bad happens. But some of the thralls that are not meant as pets/followers when placed as one will break the .db, causing save corruption and having to reset to a file before you placed.

3 Likes

Yeah, but in reality, Things like this should not be out there for people who are paying monthly subs for privates, or at least a known issues list so it doesn’t happen.

Plus some people have SP games they don;t want to corrupt, and since barring all kind of work a rounds, you can only have 1 save file on PS4, it still could be an issue. It is bad enough console server owners have to put together their own settings index (a thread i just started), now we have to keep a list of do’s and don’ts. This is far worse than bugs in general, as G-Portal knew exactly what happened, meaning it si something that is common enough they have it memorized.

2 Likes

Agreed we should not be able to spawn something that breaks the game. When my wife did it in single player it was a white haired guy in a loincloth he didn’t look like rabbit at all. Shut her game down with a error code as he was set down but she was able to go back in. GLAD you are starting a thread of does and don’ts.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.