Purge difficulty settings still screw with purges

Oh FFS… :persevere:

2 Likes

Ok thanks. So just to clarify, are the lower numerical values such as 1 (or 0) the more challenging Purges, or are the ones at 6 more difficult? Perhaps Ive misread, but it sounds like you are saying that the lower the number the more difficult? Or vice versa?

So would you recommend lower or higher values for human Purges?

Ok time for a couple of new outposts then. Thankyou.

Ok interesting. I will have to look at this. While all but one of my outposts is T3 at this point my outposts, as their name would suggest, are much smaller. The outposts are typically only around 4×4 foundations, whereas my main base is (estimate) well over 50. Being a purely Offline Singleplayer whereby my ps4 is the server, I disnt want to make my outposts toooo large and increase the workload too drastically on the ps4.

Ok great, ill check some values as soon as I am able. Although it may not be until the weekend. Thanks Larathiel! :raised_hands:

1 Like

6 is most difficult. If you want to capture thralls, I think you want level 4 but if I’m wrong someone please correct me.

5 Likes

@bbtech is correct, 6 is the most difficult, 1 is the easiest. Since all purges have a difficulty range of either 1 to 4 or 1 to 6, a difficulty of 4 is as tough as you can make them without preventing many from spawning.

If consoles supported the same commands as PC, you could manually force the weaker purges even when at the highest setting, but it seems that functionality is intentionally locked out by the mandate of powers greater than Funcom. :unamused:

5 Likes

BB, you are correct. 6 is hard, 1 is easy. Back a bit, I did some investigation and testing on the purges on a dedicated server.

In general, purge level 4 is optimal. You will get more NPC spawns that way.
The latitude around Sepermeru gives the most crafters and mid level fighters (for purge fighters, anyway).
The frozen north or the volcano is a bear, but will get you the best combat thralls.

@Croms_Faithful, this may be outdated, but it’s the best info I have.

You could also look here.

Regards

jim

5 Likes

Agreed. In the absence of the ability to manually spawn what you want, this is the way to go.

At difficulty 4 this might be the case. But for any playing on Officials who might reference this thread, be aware that Official servers always have their purge difficulty set to 6. At that setting, I’ve found much better success at the latitude of New Asagarth.

To the best of my experience, the ranges indicated on the wiki are still accurate. Just need to hover over the various symbols to check the difficulty range of each one to see what’s valid for the settings you play under: 4 = everything, 6 = not so much.

5 Likes

@Jim1, @Larathiel and @bbtech, a hat and a kind thankyou to you all for your helpful input and information here.

Thankyou ALL for the clarification. Just on the record here I honestly would not have minded having a level 6 Purge in terms of difficulty. Frankly I would actually prefer it as I love to be challenged in Conan Exiles (actually in games as a whole, which is why I generally gravitate towards survival horror titles). However by the same token I wouldnt want to create circumstances which would prevent human Purges spawning in at this point. As such, I will set it to level 4 until I can land a few additional craftsmen, then once I have gathered what I need I will likely set it to 6 and leave it at that.

Thanks peoples. At this point I am only really interested in more craftsmen, as I have an absolute cornucopia of Fighters and Archers. Seriously it is that bad I actually groan out loud when I run across T4 Fighters and Archers now and just chop them up. :laughing: Other than that my long running quest to obtain all female T4 Dancers is still ongoing. I have all of the information I require below; 3 of them are just being stubborn with their spawning.

Anyway I seem to have gone off point here. What I intended to say is that I feel I now have enough data in my hands to go and customise the settings and start (trying) to get some of the Purges I am after. Although it may take me a while; I just dont have the luck of Brian from Monty Pythons Life if Brian. :wink:

4 Likes

@bbtech, @Larathiel and @Jim1.

PS- actually forgive the call back peoples but I actually thought of something else. Question. Which setting (if any) governs how quickly the Purge meter fills/increases? Is it the ‘Purge Meter Update Interval’ setting, ‘Purge Delay’ or something else? And if so, will higher numerical values or lower ones cause it to fill/increase more rapidly? The PMUI is currently set to 23.

Finally a second, off topic question. I have read a number of peoples posts saying that there is a way to adjust the Landclaim Radius via a setting. However, I have long been unable to work out which setting governs this, to the point where I now suspect that this may be unique to PC (I am a ps4 player). Can anyone shed some light on this claim?

1 Like

Purge Meter Trigger Value is your best bet. It defines how many “points” your Purge bar needs before it triggers a Purge. I’ve seen it in action and I know it works.

Purge Meter Update Interval should be the setting that controls the period of time during which multiple actions of the same type count as only one, so maybe tweaking that would also work, but that’s not something I’ve tested or seen in action.

I’ve no idea what Purge Delay does.

4 Likes

@CodeMage is correct, if you want purge meters to fill up more quickly on a server, lower the Purge Meter Trigger Value (default is 42,200, I keep mine around 25,000).

The reason this is more beneficial than simply decreasing the update interval (default is 15 minutes) is that IME it seemed like a shorter interval would not only make the meter increase faster while online, but also deplete faster when offline.

As for Purge Delay, that’s simply how long the server waits after one clan’s purge has ended before starting the next clan’s purge (default is 5 minutes).

4 Likes

On the Harvesting tab of server settings (at least on PC), there is a setting called “Land Claim Radius Multiplier”. It is only available when creating a new Singleplayer game. Once in-game, the setting disappears, much like the checkbox to disable PvP. @Codemage and @Larathiel already answered your initial questions, but while I was waiting for star metal to drop on my solo game, I noticed the PC has mouse-hover tool tips for the server settings, and I took the time to write them down. Hope it helps.

• Enable Purge - Unchecking will completely disable purge events.
  • Purge Level - Raising this increases the purge difficulty level. Level zero will turn purge system off.
  • Purge Delay - This number represents the minimum delay between purges that happen on this server (in minutes)
  • Restrict Purge Time - If flagged, purges will be restricted to set times.
  • Purge Time Restrictions - The Purge will only take place during the times specified.
  • Purge Preparation Time - Raising this increases the time in minutes between the purge warning and the start of the purge.
  • Purge Duration - Raising this increases the number of minutes the purge will last.
  • Minimum Number of Online Players - Raising this will make purges only occur when the set number of players are online. If set to zero, there needs to be at least one player online for a purge to start.
  • Allow building - If flagged, building is allowed during purges.
  • Purge Meter Trigger Value - Raising this increases the amount of different selected actions clans or players can do until they are eligible to be purged.
  • Purge Meter Update Interval - Raising the interval will make the purge meter increase more slowly, especially for active people and clans.
4 Likes

Adding to Larathiel’s correct answer, if your purge is first in line, the Purge Delay also applies. It gives you time to prepare and assemble forces, decide whether weapons or truncheons are appropriate, stuff that affects the outcome.

Ours is set to 15 minutes since the clan is spread all over the place and, if it appears tough, we can call for reinforcements through our discord.

Regards

jim

1 Like

The in-game documentation for this setting is not clear enough and it always causes confusion. If it’s set to a number greater than 0, it indicates how many players from a clan have to be online for that clan to be eligible to be Purged. For example, if you set it to 2, and there’s only one player from clan Foo online, then clan Foo won’t be Purged.

However, if it’s set to 0, there needs to be only 1 online player on the whole server, regardless of his/her clan, for a Purge to happen. That means that offline Purges will happen for clans that have no players online, as long as there’s someone on the server.

6 Likes

You may be thinking of Purge Preparation Time, which is the amount of time you get on a countdown timer following the on-screen announcement that your clan is getting purged. So yes, if your clan is the next one to get purged, then technically you would have the delay time plus the prep time to prepare, but until the announcement actually appears, you wouldn’t know with certainty that you’re up to bat.

That said, if you’re mindful of your Event Log, it will help to telegraph the purge’s intent to target you before the on screen announcement appears. In fact, if you’re good at using the proximity slider, these Event Log messages may even help you to determine where it’s going to attack.

Just be aware that if your base is particularly difficult to path to, you might see numerous Purge Started/Ended messages in the Event Log, and the location each attempt selects can be a completely different base. (No, Funcom doesn’t make this easy for us.) :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, the wording on the hover text is definitely misleading, but your explanation of how it works matches my understanding / experience. :+1:

I always leave it set to 1 so that a clan must have at least 1 player (any player) on in order to get purged.

2 Likes

You are probably right. Since I am on a no-purge server now, probably forgot or got confused. Perhaps I should read the wiki?

Regards

jim

2 Likes

No worries, my player LOVE purges, so I’m perhaps a bit too familiar with their workings. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Got it, Purge Meter Trigger Value is the pony which requires adjustment. I will go with the 25,000 value which you recommended for the time being. With any luck I will get a Purge when I play this weekend, as opposed to a bi-monthly event on current values.

I think I accidentally set this to a new value recently when seeing how high it goes. If it is the slider I am thinking of it seems to count in increments of 50 on console! It started on 15(?) Originally. So for example it counts 1, 51, 101, and so forth. I may have to restore to default first…

It looks like it is not in the Harvesting tab during play on ps4. Darn. I do so wish I knew what this did when I first began playing the game. Or that we could still adjust it during play. Great detail here too @bbtech.

As I am a purely Offline Singleplayer Jim1, I am always the first in line. :wink: If memory serves me correctly, the last Purge was approximately 10 mins prep time, which is actually more than ample for myself. I have a chest full of truncheons outside at all as a precaution. I only really need to swap them out for my thralls main weapons (if I actually get a human Purge), then move my couple of ‘valuable’ thralls and pets indoors. But thankyou for the heads up.

Thanks for the clarification CodeMage. I currently have mine set to 0, but again I am the only player on the ‘server’ (ie-the ps4 console). I have not had an offline Purge to date. I think that much like crafting progression and the spawning of star metal meteors, it wont function while I am not playing or logged on. The whole world seems to go into hybernation. While its kind of a pain when breaking T4s I dont mind. I know yhis will sound a little odd, but to me it feels like I actually did more to earn them this way, as opposed to putting them on the Wheel, going to sleep, then the next day “taadaa” I have a T4 thrall ready to go. But then I have always been a little odd. :laughing:

2 Likes

It all depends on your routine. I’m certainly having an easier time filling my bar on @Larathiel’s server than on an official server, but I discovered just last night that I might have been misinterpreting what the wiki said about point accumulation.

This is the bit that I’m talking about (emphasis mine):

The following activities performed by players fill the Purge Meter:

• Log On (100)
  • Timer Tick 60 minutes (62.5)
  • Kill Human (200)
  • Kill NPC (200)
  • Place T1 (200)
  • Place T2 (200)
  • Place T3 (200)

I interpreted that as “kill a human NPC” and “kill a non-human NPC”. But I noticed last night that taking my newest thrall to UC produced a much smaller increase rate than going alone to the Mounds to kill a bunch of Cimmerians. So I took another look at the wiki, and this is what it has to say about the definition of NPC:

Bosses are not considered NPCs. Hostile NPCs who are not bosses (no skull) and cannot be thralled are simply considered enemies.

So it looks like “kill NPC” means “kill a human, thrallable enemy” and “kill human” might mean “kill another player”.

HTH

4 Likes

Ah, I didn’t know you were playing on my server! You should message me with your secret identity. :smiley:

And yes, I believe the “kill human” refers to killing another player. Not sure if PvP duels within the bounds of a BattleStandard count or not, but ya never know…

2 Likes