Purge while offline

It feels like they are trying to needlessly boost their player numbers on official servers during prime time using the offline purge method. It seems like a misguided decision because it’s likely a cause of some of the ‘is the purge broken?’ and ‘why did my stuff disappear?’ posts. Not to mention the official servers are capped even without the explicit threat of having your base destroyed while offline.

I don’t think that is the case. If it were a deliberate ploy, they would be sure to put up a warning, “Hey, better be on during this window or risk being destroyed!”

But if you don’t read twitter or reddit for this game, then the only info you have is what the PVE/PVEC server windows say. And they say no building damage. That means the lions’ share of people logging into those servers have no idea this can happen to them.

Solo (no clan tag) Purge Does it happen?

My purge bar is nearly full, and I’ve been in a panic to prepare for it…

I’m on an offical PvE server.

I live on a massive pillar and I’m worried enemies are going to spawn in my base.

Why hasn’t my purge happened?

Any advice on where to go from here?

If you are on an official server, you can be purged, online or offline. If no part of your base can be walked to, then it will spawn inside your base (literally, skeletons climbing out of the foundations).

As to why it has not happened yet? Anybody’s guess. It is also very buggy. Plus there is a window of time it can happen and it only happens one at a time, once each hour, so it can be hitting others on the server and not you.

Advice? The only way to be remotely “Safe” is to build a giant, multi wall tier three base on noob river and fill it with as many tier three combat thralls as possible.

Or do what we have been forced to do and just don’t log off during the purge window so you will be there when it happens. That’s about all you can do.

Thanks I’ll def take this into consideration!

Even ifI’m not in a clan? Because everything i read only says clans will be purged?

If you have a purge meter, and it fills, it can hit you. Clan or not. Hell, if your base is too close to someone else’s and they get purged, the mob might decide to take your stuff out as well. Especially if you are directly between where it spawns and them.

1 Like

Yes it does, and it sucks! My purge bar got filled and I was kinda scaried because Im solo, but was eager to face it since I love the combat.

So, after some time, I got the warning that Sand Reapers was going to attack my base in 10 minutes, I prepare myself and was ready at the location of the attack on the map.

Then less than a minute, I got a message that the sand reapers were defeated, and I got the survive the purge done in the journal, this was last monday, and today just couple minutes ago, I got the unpleasant surprise that an entire long t3 wall that I grinded my *ss off for a week was destroyed by sand reapers while I was offline.

I hope this is a bug and not intended, otherwise there is no point in building solo if your time is going to be wasted like that.

1 Like

To fix this, I would add two checks to the purge. I’m no coder, but just the examples in my head:

Since the game knows who to send the purge after, it must already do a clan name/individual check to see if you are eligable. So add something along this line to that check.

If (name/clan) online players =0
Then purge can start =0

And this, for the purge as a whole when mobs encounter a player structure.

If (name/clan) online players =0
Then purge building damage =0

Adding two checks like that would make sure that a purge cannot start on someone who is offline, and will not damage their buildings if they run into yours on the way to somebody else. Of course you would have to run the checks before you announce to the clan in question that their purge is on the way, so once it has started if you log off, you’ll still get hit.

Would love to hear from a dev after reading all this and the other links.

I’m on an official server with a t3 base
Had a full purge meter for two days now and no purge. Very disappointed. Started a clan and my purge meter reset. Again, very disappointed. For those in or complaining about offline purges, build a better base. Can’t do that? Minecraft is still available.

And exactly how do you build better when a purge up north can flatten any thralls or T3 structures you have?

2 Likes

yep I see purge system is clearly broken right now.

Most of ppl don’t get the purge now.

It’s not like the promise they said on stream that “active players will get a purge everyday”

1 Like

Learn from previous purges. Adjust. If the purge wasn’t capable of doing damage it wouldn’t have a point. I think offline purges may be part of our answer to overly aggressive land claiming, ie pillar forests.

1. Can’t learn from it if you don’t see it happen.
  2. If the ones making the pillar forests are online, they can still have them hit by purge, otherwise they decay in a week.
  3. Knowing that a purge hits some of your structures totally at random encourages people to make more random, long lasting things away from their main base as decoys.
2 Likes

I think the purge need to be reworked, if you are not in a clan then purge only happens when you are online and scales approximately to that, your level and foundation total. For those that work or go to college or university on those purge hours, you are pretty much done, you might think “oh I can just put thralls with good gear around my place” Well first thralls do not regen health right now, they can be killed by players and looted making them at the moment more useful for a distraction but if you aren’t on…no point. Currently your only hope is not designing a home of your choice but rather a fortress to withstand a purge for enough time and hope the purge doesn’t attack you again the same day.

2 Likes

And i understand more and more that the purge have to be balansed on how many is online and howe big the clan is, Whats just free farming for a big powerfull afaclan is a game killer for a small clan or solo player.

2 Likes

Whats worse, there isn’t even any warning in game. The server browser actually says “player structures are indestructible” in PVE. I see so many (admittedly ugly) big bases up north made of sandstone. They have no clue what’s going to happen.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game with menus that flat-out, knowingly lie.

And they’ve totally stopped responding about it on Twitter. So I encourage everybody… has your base vanished on PVE? PVP? Check your event logs. If players didn’t do it, and your purge meter is empty? You’ve been hit.

Everybody that has, report it on Twitter, on Reddit, these forums. If you read this and worry about your own bases? Do the same. They will change it if enough of us demand it. They will ignore it otherwise.

2 Likes

I can’t help but notice that on PVE Official, the Purge difficulty is now set to 6 instead of 3. From the patch notes, the lower area purges will do less damage than before. So, yay, that is a good thing.

But it also means the purges in the far north are now going to be doing a max of x25 damage instead of x10 (the max for a difficulty 3).

You guys honestly do want to run everybody off of the official PVE/PVE-C servers don’t you?

1 Like