Purgers in the undermesh

Game mode: | Single-player
**Type of issue Bug
Server type: PvE
Region: USA

Purge happening in the undermesh beneath my base

This is my second post on this and having no response on the first one I will try again.

During a level 6 purge my base is being attacked from underneath, in the undermesh. Its not on the top level of land, its literally in the mesh below. Wolves and Nordheimers are attacking my foundations from some bit of land that extends beneath my base from a nearby hill and this land is about two foundations-length below the land my base sits on. Its really trippy: like a land beneath the land, an underworld sort of. Anyway i ghosted down there and saw this happening. When I un-ghosted I was able to walk along a ridge to the ground above. What gives? How is this happening and is this part of level 6 purges? My base is in the north near the Den in the rainy dark valley.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Purge set to level 6
  2. On 3rd and 4th waves of purge the purgers attack from under the mesh
  3. There is some land beneath the land under my base that is only accessible by ghosting in admin yet purgers are accessing this land and attacking my foundations
  4. Please help!
2 Likes

I think it’s because of the mesh and probably not because of the purge type. What are the teleport coordinates for your base?

@Larathiel didn’t you document instances like this recently? Do you remember if this was one of the areas affected?

1 Like

Yep, seen this happen in a LOT of places, including areas where Nordheimers spawn. The area that’s most notorious for this is the region around Riversend (C9/10), but I’ve also seen it happen…

As far as I can tell, it seems like spot where the heightmaps used for the terrain extend under one another or inside of one of the cliff meshes are prone to such mishaps. This means it’s in no way limited to the aforementioned spots because many areas of the map are naturally constructed in this way. (i.e. things have to overlap, otherwise there would be gaps in the world to see or fall thru)

While it’s been a looooong time since I’ve done any map development in Unreal Engine (like nearly 15 years), my suspicion is that the heightmaps include layers that are “painted” to signify where thralls can and can’t path or spawn. If so, it might be an issue of adjusting the portions so painted so they don’t show up as being valid in spawn calculations.

Of course, if it was that simple, I suspect it would have been fixed by now, so I’m inclined to think it’s a matter of disparate complicated systems not playing well together. :man_shrugging:

EDIT: Added a pic of the G7/8 location.

4 Likes

Yes, Larathiel is spot on. Thats precisely what it is.

I have to log out during the purge, log back on, go into admin and reset the purge or they destroy my base.

I am just east of dead center in d9, right above the desert hills and old buildings where it turns into forest. Guess I picked a bad spot :frowning:

here is the base:

Here is the undermesh with a wolf nipping at my foundations (I am in ghost mode)

Anyway thanks for your help Larathiel, truly appreciate it. Any suggestions to fix would be great: really don’t want to move my base it took a LONG time to build and there would be lots to move, least of which is about 50 thralls

3 Likes

A fix? Hmm… the only spot where I was able to “fix” this on my server was one where the portion of the ground mesh extending into the cliff was fairly shallow horizontally (the F10 pic up-thread).

What I did in that instance was to place some foundations into the “hollow” getting them as deep in as I could, and then doing my best to fill up the space. (I did this during the purge where the issue was happening by enabling building temporarily.)

Once this had been done, subsequent waves spawned no longer tried to spawn in that spot.

What you might try in this situation is to place some blocks further out from your base in the path from which the undermeshed purge mobs are spawning. Perhaps by doing so, you can alter the calculations it’s doing and get them to spawn elsewhere, or at least give them meaningless junk to chew on.

One thing I’ve contemplated doing is using Pippi to place warp points under the map in such spots so that players have an emergency means to counter such shenanigans, but that’s not something that would help anyone on Officials or Consoles, obviously, plus it would be pretty cheesy. :frowning:

2 Likes

Old post: Purge under my base...purgers now sappers

Hey there,

We’re aware of this issue and it’s on our team’s to-do list.
Thanks for the feedback and apologies for the frustration.

Game mode: [Enter game mode here: (Online official | Online private | Single-player)]
Type of issue: [Enter one of the following: Crash | Bug | Performance | Misc]
Server type: [Enter one of the following: PvP | PvE-Conflict | PvE]
Region: [Please enter your server region]

[Describe the bug here]

***So I have had a base up north (just above The Den in the rainy highland region) for some time now and had dozens of purges hit it. The last three lvl 6 purges, however, have the third or fourth wave of purgers materializing UNDER my base. The first few waves are fine, but the later waves are the issue: cant see them as they are apparently underground and making a mess of my foundations. My tallest foundation is only three high but my buildings are about 8 stories high. There is space around my base for them to spawn or even within my base would be fine…but underneath? I just added some additions to my base and was not sure if that had something to do with it. The purgers are not spawning under the additions either, but adjacent to them. Running a few thrall cosmetic mods that are updated. I just switched to level 6 purge in the admin panel…could that have something to do with it? Do level 6 purges include sappers under your base?

Thanks for any and all help. I really do not want to have rebuild my base somewhere else: I love my home and it took months to build.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Set Purge to 6 on single player pc game
  2. Made additions to my base in the north (location in D9, near ruins and desert but in the forest)
  3. Purgers spawning under my base, attacking foundations on the third or fourth waves
  4. Happened during last three purges, never happened before

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.