Put building cap in PvE

People moving in next door is not the problem at all, but let’s spend a moment on this anyway. You say you just pack up and move. Maybe it’s less involved for you, or maybe you enjoy the process no matter how involved. Regardless, I respect your playstyle, but I don’t want to play like that. Most of the PVE(-C) players I’ve interacted with also wouldn’t want to move just because someone showed up next door.

I envy the experience you’ve had on officials. Mine has been drastically different.

If just staying away from it solved the performance problems for you, then either everyone else on the server stayed away from it too, or it wasn’t big enough to affect server performance. Client performance problems are solved by staying away. Server performance problems would have affected you any time any player on the server was in the area of that build, regardless of where you were at the time.

As a side note, it’s not necessarily the sheer size of the build, but let’s settle on the word “big” for the purposes of the discussion.

Having seen several servers with builds that actually cause server performance problems, having studied the problem over the years, and having seen other people’s research on it, I would lean towards saying that you have been lucky.

There is nothing simple about moving to a private server. Not because of the lack of server transfer, but because of the difficulty involved in finding a private server that satisfies all the requirements:

• has the same (or similar settings) as official servers
  • isn’t chock-full of mods
  • doesn’t include mods that drastically alter the game experience (e.g. Age of Calamitous)
  • has an active admin
  • doesn’t have admin abuse
  • doesn’t have any pay-for-game-content mechanics (i.e. “donate” to the server for this “starter” kit)
  • doesn’t have any onerous rules (e.g. “you have to be on Discord in a voice channel”, or “you can only build up to 20x20x4 if you don’t have clanmates”)
  • is likely to stay around for a long time

As for playing single-player, that’s how I started. I played exclusively single-player during early access of the base game. If I wanted to keep playing single-player, I would have stayed in single-player.

All in all, I respect the fact that you’ve had a different experience from mine. Up to this point, your post has been simply a discussion of those differences. But here you started verging towards “It ain’t a problem for me, so why don’t you bugger off somewhere else?”

Let’s put it this way: if overbuilding has never been a problem for you, why are you so vehemently opposing solutions for it? If you’re concerned that a solution to overbuilding would impact you disproportionately, why not just state your concern and we could have a discussion on how a solution could avoid impacting you?

When have some humans NOT been douchebags to other humans in the history of the world? Never. By that logic, should we have never even argued for improving the society, much less improved it to the point where it is now?

Are you sure you understand what Zendesk is for and how it’s used? Because it’s either that, or you’re being willfully and deliberately disingenuous. Assuming it’s the former, let me explain why nobody does that:

The above is from the Zendesk request form. As you can see, you can only:

• report players who break the Official Server Terms of Conduct
  • report a server that is down or isn’t accepting connections
  • request information about your ban and possibly appeal it

“People’s buildings get deleted” only as a measure resulting from the first type of request, i.e. a report of infraction of server rules. There is nothing in the rules that prohibits non-malicious building. I could, theoretically, opt to misinterpret the second option and submit that kind of request, but I doubt it will be prioritized because: 1) that’s not what that option is meant for, and 2) they have to prioritize issues like cheating, griefing, and harassment.

In all, Zendesk is useful for the kind of problems Zendesk is meant to solve. Different people with different problems have had different degrees of success with it, but that doesn’t mean that it’s either 1) useless, or 2) meant to be used for everything.

No, but I suspect you’re saying it to knowingly conflate unrelated issues. I fail to understand why you think that kind of behavior is useful in a discussion. Zendesk has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of hosting.

Speaking of which, since you’re bringing up my replies to you from other discussion threads, I’ve already stated my argument about improving server capacity: as long as the building is completely unlimited by the game, improving server capacity will only make people build even bigger until they overwhelm the new capacity.

Nothing personal there, but I don’t see a way to amend it so that it will work properly, because I think it incentivizes the wrong thing. As for alternatives, I’ve talked my ass off about upkeep systems, so you’ll excuse me if I don’t write more about them. My walls of text are big enough thanks to people trying to shut down all discussion of something that they don’t see as a problem because they think we’re all blatantly lying to them :smiley:

1 Like