Quest: The Cost of Magic

Almost. The thing that tipped me off was The Cargo Lore #5. Maybe you remember, the one on the Kaidan containers, near the Docks anima well. People were saying you needed a speed boost (or anima form) to make the jump. While it’s perfectly possible with Sprint 1 simply because you can time the jump better. If higher speeds made you jump farther, Sprint 6 should easily be able to compensate for that. It can’t.

Not consistent with what I have experienced so far. Higher speed attained through different means (like ability or mount boosts) make you jump farther, but all Sprints 1 through 6 seem to have the same potential distance.

It’s possible to get alone by jumping up, turning on the second set, falling off and then jumping straight through. You can also have someone up there turn the second set on while you’re jumping up.

I think there is enough time to go up, turn the second set on, and finish in one go, but the timing has really got to be exquisite to do it.

I did that with the second set…thing is the stepping back so I don’t just fail to jump of the edge and the realigning toward the next platform takes to much time. One lag or just one time where it jumps upward instead of forward and it fails by me falling. Really frustrating…that said I did get close today sadly time ran out while I was picking the pouch up. Gotta try again in three days.

I developer once said that run speed does not do anything to jumping distance (could not dig up the post, you will just have to trust my memory). Well, in TSW at least.

Yea, I think what’s happening to make it seem like higher speeds go farther is the bit of running on either side of the jump, plus there’s a subtle slipperiness to things I understand is inherent to DreamEngine. I made a macro to jump for Cost of Magic because of that, it can press and release w+space MUCH faster than I can, leading to more precise jumps.

1 Like

Took me more than 50 tries to finally able to finish the jumping part. But once you got the feel of it, you can get it done in 1-2 tries without pausing on each platform. For me the issue is fps. I lowered all graphic options to 0 which gives me like 10-15 more fps, and used sprint 2. With that I no longer have the issue of the character not responding fast enough to spacebar jump and walks off the platform. Good luck:)

1 Like

This reminds me: has Funcom ever actually explained why in all Hells they decided to turn “Live Free, Die Hard” into an action mission, yet keep “The Cost of Magic” mostly as is and Sabotage?

In TSW, the Unseen achievement on only one of these two was reasonably achievable even for people bad at jump’n’running with mostly broken jump’n’run mechanics…

Joel Bylos, came out and admitted they created CoM to piss off players.

1 Like

So… the relaunch drastically simplified LFDH, but kept CoM mostly unchanged to piss of players even more? Seems counter-intuitive in terms of making things more appealing.

I figured it was because the way Living Oil and Live Free, Die Hard enforced their sabotage mechanic would result in Scorched Desert having too many level 50 mobs.

But the mobs at the pumping station are scaled down regardless. and getting hit would break the achievement. So that would be a bit… okay, a really big big… of a lame excuse kind of reason if it were true.

The mobs at the date factory aren’t scaled down. Why do you think that, if Live Free, Die Hard remained a sabotage, the mobs at the pumping station would still be scaled down? Both sets of mobs in TSW were extremely difficult compared to the zone. Scaling Live Free, Die Hard mobs down and leaving it sabotage would make it insanely easy to cheese through later on, the way Prometheus Initiative is.

Nah, making it easier would require additional work. After all, they never did anything about the game-breaking bugs with the crafting stations.