Rain shouldn't flood entire house

I could understand around doors, but this bothers me so much.

The glossy feels so unnatural.

I’m not entirely sure if this should be bug or suggestion.

2 Likes

It’s a bug and it have been discussed for a long time. Devs can’t correct it because of UE4 mechanics, so they try to invent some workaround for it.

1 Like

Yeah…it’s a bit weird to see your hyena fur armor all wet when you are inside your house

The main thing is that it is not a simple thing to resolve. It is irritating as we can still die of thirst whilst not being able to pop a bucket down for rainwater. BUT, it does not break the game and is more of an irritation in the main.

1 Like

This is actually a good idea, maybe they could add something like a craftable rainwater tank, but it’s figuring how to make it only fills while within the vicinity of rain, and I guess snow.

2 Likes

And, most importantly, the game works! :smile:

It’s a bug and it have been discussed for a long time. Devs can’t correct it because of UE4 mechanics, so they try to invent some workaround for it.

Totally inaccurate. It is not a limitation of UE4 – MANY games and YouTube tutorials have fixed this exact problem in UE4.

It blows my mind how people can think an open source engine can have some “unsolvable issue”. Rain isn’t even a core part of UE4, it’s 100% custom to whatever game decides to implement it. The implementation is 100% to blame, not the engine.

The over-simplified resolution is line tracing upward on the z-axis to see if there is cover. In a game like Conan, you have loads of variables like if the camera is outside of a structure while the player is inside of it. It’s a fairly complex problem, but it is absolutely not due to any limitation within UE4.

It’s actually worse. The rendering of rain is a part of you, and not part of the world. If you are in a rainy place the game cannot tell where the boundaries of indoors and outdoors are.

This is exactly how rain should be for performance reasons. If you try to make rain render everywhere that it should exist, frames will drop on even the most expensive rig, for zero visual gain. Searching Google will yield results supporting exactly this: rain has to be local to the player’s position, and rendered based on a larger volume which dictates where it should or should not be present.

1 Like

I know, some days ago I was in the rainy north running towards the desert and when I entered the desert area, it was rainy for a few seconds, making all the sand wet and shiny (like your house)

1 Like

I’m sorry, I know I just posted this in the other thread on this topic, but hey two threads on same topic gets same response :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.