Reality Check for Funcom and the Community

Vathis was a time-limited T4 fighter thrall at the Volcano who was fairly convenient to capture.

He started out as a lore NPC who shed light on Skelos, but a bug happened where he became capturable.

After what felt like 2 months Funcom subsequently fixed Vathis to be un-capturable once more to resume his function as a lore NPC. Vathis continued to stay a staple of people’s garrisons for several months afterwards. He was considered a Grandfathered artifact, who was useful.

People felt he was special. He had novelty value, but also because he had a bit more HP, and alittle less STR than T4 Warriors of his tier.

He could also spawn as a female variant, which was even more novel, because Vathis was always suppsoe to be a guy.

The female version was thus the most powerful accessible female warrior on the roster.

Vathis was one of the most interesting thralls in CE history due to his unusual history, followed by the topless versions of Beri, Talitha Goldfinger and that Smelter chick.

Vathis was the Achilles of his limited period of domestication, so of course people needed 6 chestfuls of him. I feel bad for the people that like to collect all of the named thralls and so had maybe one or two, but not to the overkill “must be leet” people who will lose their whole army.

Fair enough but is it necessary for some to be so angry over one thrall I get the novelty part I do but the sort of posts I have seen

I can’t see the need to vent such harsh attacks on a company that made a game to me that is unique and designed to let people continually learn and figure stuff out without any help which I think is fantastic.

Mind you I have not found another game like this I have seen similar games but none like Conan Exiles in console form

The admin commands make the game for people that don’t want to grind a breeze.

Human error is something that is always gonna be around.

4 Likes

Hey it really is. Look it up. Theres a YouTube video and everything

People are upset about Vathis being removed for different reasons. The simpler folk are just salty they lost something.

The more experienced folk are upset because it sets a precedence that Funcom can just ‘RetCon" things out of existence without even announcing it. (they announced it in the end after much exposure in no small part thanks to ZeroG’s contribution, but had ZeroG not exposed Funcom, they would have just silently removed all the Vathis’, gear and all)

Conan Exiles is a notoriously inflexible game from a development point of view. Players feel compelled to lash out at a practice that could have been handled better had Funcom been more flexible or lenient about it.

1 Like

Hey @AndyB I was testing something and I cant unflag posts on mobile - welp.

Ahhhh ok cheers for the info

'NotAlwaysSoFun’com has the fundamental problem of ‘knowing their audience’…in this case their customers. Too little too late?

1 Like

Hal,
I find myself agreeing with much of what you are saying.
I agree that how FC responds to issues that affect it’s playerbase is huge.
If FC starts arbitrarily punishing players for their own failings, you are right it becomes personal really quickly.
I believe FC is currently alienating many players by not fixing the basic stability issues that cause players to lose materials and items due to server crashesor other issues(like logging back in and being naked because all of their hard earned items disappeared after log off.

I hope FC changes direction and starts respecting their players and their time, and fixes the game so that they can enjoy the game without feeling abused because they have again lost items because FC refuses to fix basic stability.
If they do this they will retain far more players than if they follow their current course.

1 Like

Zerog,
As I have stated multiple times on my posts I anly am on PS4 and it sure doesnt look like they are successfully fixing the stability issues.

Based on my recent experience they may even have gone backwards after this latest patch as the game seems to be crashing more.

Please look at the multiple recent posts about basic stability on the PS4. Clearly there is a problem that has not been successfully addressed…

I dunno I stopped reading in the 2nd paragraph because it sounded like some bull stick excuse for cheating. Did I miss something? Because theres only one solution to cheating and that’s banning the crap out of the low life scum that do it.

Crio,
I believe we need to nuance the discussion. There is a difference between cheating which means modifying the code or doing something that alters what FC has published.
I completely agree that anyone who “cheats” should be banned.
However, playing the game to a players best advantage without any alterations to the code FC published is simple human nature, this is definately not cheating.
Any changes that FC makes like deleting thralls that they mistakenly allowed to be tameable, should be compensated with a comparable item.

FC has to take responsibility for the code they publish. If they make a mistake, they must respect the time players have put into taming that thrall etc. Respect the players time and own what they publish.

2 Likes

Is there an example we could discuss? I have a hard time with what you are saying and would like to understand your position.

You would need to take that to private messages with Shadoza if they were willing to discuss in detail privately. as it is against the community forum guidelines to discuss exploits. And that can extend to past now fixed exploits.

1 Like

OK Thanks, I was unaware of this specific rule.

Thank you for the explanation. So I think I see part of our difference of opinion. I only play Single player, as I do not like PVP.
You obviously play with other players and possibly even PVP.

I live and play in a world populated by myself, perhaps a friend who is joining me in COOP, and some NPC’s. I don’t want to do anything but play the game the way I want to and make my own story in game. My world and story affect no one else.

I surmise you play on a shared server where players compete for advantage against other players, and these sorts of issues have real impact.
I choose to not play on this type of server because it is too much like my regular job.

In retrospect this is also why I loved RDR2 single player but quickly passed on RDR2 online.
Finding the balance between the 2 very differnet play styles and worlds is definately a challenge.

Shadoza,
I disagree that either of the examples be considered cheating. It certainly is something I would expect to be fixed ASAP, but I hardly consider this cheating.
Just like people who utilize legal but technical means to minimize their tax burden. It is the responsiblity of the issuing agency (FC or Congress)to issue the code or regulations in such a manner as to get the effect they want. If some folks find a way to work within the published regulations but to gain benefit for themselves, even if it is outside of the “intentions of the publisher”, it is allowable. Like many a judge has said, it is not important what the intent of the law is, but rather what the law actually says.
FC and congress need to do their jobs properly, if they miss something and some folks can gain advantage by being creative , it is up the the issuing agency to fix the issue . You cannot make someone else pay for your ineffectiveness or mistake…

I hope I have accurately expressed the nuance required for the arguement to be properly explained. I would never condone cheating, but I also cannot condone organizations not owning their own mistakes. Whatever entity makes the mistakemust bear the cost/inconvenince of the mistake, no one else.

You lost me at exploits are fun and part of the modern pvp, deal with it … i am not sure why you need to keep opening new threads about the same issue but it turns into spam …

It is ironic that you ask us to deal with people exploiting while you can’t deal with the decision of Funcom to delete the thralls that were not intended to be enslaved.

2 Likes

The sentiment of my post is to address the management of the inevitable, not condoning exploits.

One must always explore both sides of a coin to be a just judge.

It only sounds like i’m condoning exploits because everyone is so used to it being a taboo.

If someone has anything more constructive to add like a method of removing exploits for good, i’d appreciate it. But so far it’s just been accusations of me condoning exploits. Couldn’t get anymore knee-jerky.

It’s like Michael Jackson visitting a Kindergarden. Makes for a sublime headline until you see a picture of him going there as a kid himself.

Or a Picture of my ■■■■. And you see a male chicken depicted.

1 Like

Exploits are fun? I am sure they are for a certain population. But for the people who will actually carry the game for a long time they are not.

Because official servers are not moderated at all we have severe issues cropping up on these forums daily regarding PVE and PVE C in which even non exploiters can destroy a server.

PVP is a different story altogether. Exploits like God bubbles and duped zeal as well as undermeshing are mistakes. But ones that need a good overhaul because nothing stops these from happening anywhere and on any server.

The people who would actually carry the game drop due to nonsense that exploiters cause.

Perception is also reality. No company wants to be the “Face” of a toxic and exploitive community because regardless of the IP you carry and how popular it is (Conan by the way has always been Niche so lets not protend otherwise) new players will read reviews and move on.

From Swords, Lifeblood Spears, Vathis, Undermeshing. Everything has a price and a consequence.

If new players cannot compete with us old folks then they leave and new blood bankrupts the game. Not just morally but financially.

A lot of people come and play on free weekend. Not many of them stay. Throw in exploiters and none of them will stay.

Its like murdering all the level 15 noobs at the river during PVP on a free weekend and watching them never return.

Throw in exploiters and 0 admin support and boom. Its all a poop show.

Last but not least.

Exploiters do it to themselves. They essentially fix and nerf the game. Which affects everyone.