RenderThread timeout after 60 seconds

Thanks @Ignasi, even little notes like this help - I know there’s a lot going on with the dev team in terms of rolling out the console parity patches and stuff, but this is very appreciated!

1 Like

Anything back from the Devs, @Ignasi? I’d really like to be able to play this weekend. Any info would be much appreciated!

1 Like

Just extending the thread time…

2 Likes

Hey @Tiny_Montana

Our team is digging into this crash and trying to find its cause. Once we have more information about it we’ll let you all know. We apologize for the frustration and we really appreciate your patience and all the feedback you all can provide about this crash.

1 Like

I was able to log in - this has happened before.

I was freezing on the intro videos, so I edited the config file:

steamapps\common\Conan Exiles\ConanSandbox\Config\DefaultGame

and edited it to:
[/Script/MoviePlayer.MoviePlayerSettings]
bWaitForMoviesToComplete=True
bMoviesAreSkippable=True
-StartupMovies=
-StartupMovies=StartupUE4
-StartupMovies=StartupNvidia
-StartupMovies=CinematicIntroV2

No servers showed when I selected to play online (I have a character on Official Server #1023. I was able to select a Single-player game. I was able to enter the game, but it was extremely slow. and the avatar was an old test character I made - in the meantime I had once in a moment of clarity been able to log in, create another character, and play for a number of hours without a problem. This time, when I hit ‘Escape’ and noticed that instead of my Steam name, the local server was listed as my desktop computer name (e.g. DESKTOP-FGH8OMF). This was may default name upon character creation as well. When the game worked fine, the default name upon character creation was my Steam name.

TL;DR:
-Edited the DefaultGame.ini file to not play the intro movies
-Was able to log in to a local single player game

• It was unplayably laggy and the avatar was an old test character and the default name/server location was my computer desktop ID, not my Steam name as usual when the game worked

I hope this helps add to the dossier for the team that are looking into this issue. I have never had GPU problems before, but since the problems with Exiles, I have tried to play Skyrim, Kingdom Come: Deliverence, and Lord of the Rings: War in the North (for a spread of engines/launch years) and nothing works. It’s clearly a hardware issue but I have no idea how to correct it as clean installs of the drivers do nothing by way of remedy.

Best wishes to the team working on this and thanks for the updates @Ignasi!

1 Like

@Wayfaring_Stranger, not on topic and I feel your pain for the issues you describe …

You may want to revise your edit of the DefaultGame.ini
from
bWaitForMoviesToComplete=True
to
bWaitForMoviesToComplete=False

and ignore changing the multiple "+"s to "-"s

It is unlikely it will help your problem, sorry, but it has the same effect whether you have installed mods or not. For some strange reason, a black screen while loading makes me shiver :slight_smile:

Best of luck to all of you who experience this issue !

2 Likes

Thanks for your sympathy @Jim1!

Hey @Wayfaring_Stranger

Did you mention which graphics card you’re using? Just to have as many bits of information as we can gather.
Also, which drivers version are you using?

1 Like

Hi @Ignasi

I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 as well as the OP. I’m currently using the suggested driver version 375.70 listed in the BaseHardware.ini file. I have had the same issue with the most updated drivers (419.35) as well as the legacy driver. Both were clean installs with only the driver, not GeForce Experience, PhysX, 3Dvision, or audio drivers.

I used this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2665946/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-error-in-windows-7
to try to remedy the problem by increasing the delay for the graphics card to operate. “Timeout Detection and Recovery is a Windows feature that can detect when the video adapter hardware or a driver on your computer has taken longer than expected to complete an operation.”

When I did that, and with the intro videos disabled, I got new error messages when selecting a solo game:

Fatal error: [File:C:\UE4\CSAND\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp] [Line: 805]
Rendering thread exception:

Fatal error: [File:C:\UE4\CSAND\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 181]
Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - ‘REMOVED’)
!0x0000000000000000

Edit: In addition to this error, Windows 10 is giving me a notification that “This application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware”

Edit Edit: I updated my driver to the most recent (419.35) and got a BSOD. Stop code VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. What Failed: nviddmkm.sys. So I deleted the registry edit I made (referenced above) and restarted. I am back to square one, with the RenderThread timeout at the DLC shop screen.

1 Like

Proof of life:

I used DDU to clean reinstall the most recent drivers. The reboot didn’t finish setting up my dedicated GPU (the Nvidia GTX 1070), so it clearly works when running on Intel integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 530). I put it into windowed mode and dropped the graphics down to low-end laptop and the framerate was fine, but obviously not the way I want to play the game!

Edit: I rebooted to initialise the Nvidia GPU and relaunched the game. The system tray notification indicated the GPU took over, and it froze again on the DLC shop screen.

1 Like

I was able to get in game, on the Nvidia GPU, and put my settings on Ultra.

I changed some settings in the Nvidia control panel, but I don’t know what worked; I adjusted ‘Power Management Mode’ to ‘Prefer Maximum Performance’. The proof will be if I can re-enter the game, or if this is a one-off. CoreTemp showed it got up to the high 60s C, but nothing that suggests an overheating issue.

Edit: 2/2!!! I may actually pee my pants. Can either @Tiny_Montana or @Owslebury give it a try to see if it works for them?

Edit: 2/3. Menus reactive, game loaded fine, but after 2-3 seconds of running around, same freeze.

3/4. Logged in to my internet game (Official server 1023) and was able to run around. My base didn’t spawn, but all my thralls did! I collided with the ground but not with any colliders suggested by the structure of my base. No clue what’s going on now. Was like this for a number of minutes but had to log off so I couldn’t time how long it would take to load the whole base to load.

1 Like

So, not been on for a few days, other things taking priority, but completely uninstalled, removed all files (unsubscribed from all mods first). Left it a couple of days than reinstalled, then created new game and char, no mods, and immediately left char by the welcome stone. Logged in the next day and same thing, crashes on loading sp with the render timeout, followed bu the bsod, driver failure.

Nvidia driver 25.21.14.1935, dated 1.3.19

Not tried editing the control panel, ini file etc, Funcom say they’re looking into it and I have a bunch of other stuff to be getting on with in the meantime!

2 Likes

I respect that! In some ways not being able to play has been a blessing for my list of actually pressing tasks :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Should still to set to that if you’re gaming anyway.
Seemed not resolve your issue, but anyway, gaming need power, that’s a fact.

Still hard to tell, also you don’t really say lot about your system specs and all.
Had the message driver lost and recovered since EA a few times. This with 2 different GPU and different drivers over time. This may happen from time to time, seems be related to some specific drivers. But shouldn’t happen all the time of course.
Answer is mostly to try different version of the drivers. Older, newers, and so on, and looking for answers on the specific GPU forum for similar issues.

Just a reflexion more, did you try a new windows install ? or try install Steam/the game in a different directory ? C program files by default beeing not still the happiest places for some configs.

1 Like

Hi @Vattende,

I appreciate the input on the matter - the devs are still looking into it. I’ve been recording the changes I’ve made in my post above which answers a number of your suggestions. My SteamApps directory isn’t on C:, it’s another partition. I was able to get in game and play for an hour today so that’s a huge positive. I’ll wait and see.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

I have already tried the prefer maximum power setting, no change for me. Thanks for keeping the thread going though.

1 Like

extension bump

I have been able to play somewhat reliably after making the changes above noted. I have to play in Windowed mode and the game will always RenderThread Timeout at the DLC screen the first time forcing a hard shutdown. Upon reboot I can laod into the game and play on Ultra with no issues. Hope this helps the team!

1 Like

Thanks for the updated info. They’re still looking into it but there’s not been much progress on this issue yet unfortunately, as most of our team has been focusing on bringing the parity patch to consoles.