This is when I test if there is a word limit on posts and what happens when you have internet on a two hour train journey…
Saga of Zath what I liked:
Seeing lots of groups forming for six person dungeons at all levels in global/NPH and filling quickly. And seeing the player and pvp window group list full of groups…
I liked that in the first couple of weeks of the server that level 80 six person instances were frequently being run.
What I did not like:
Feeling pressured to get to level 80 quickly because as soon as raid finder would be released most of the people I play with would complete the entire Saga of Zath quest line and have very little reason to play … meaning I’d miss out on completing the goal with friends.
I also didn’t like that there was such a big reward attached to completing a set of raids …And after completing this there was no Extra incentives to continue playing on a Saga of Zath. I know how few players like to lead raids, and that getting into a successful PuG raid can be hard…I really feel for players who don’t find a group who can clear these instances … even though all these raids have been on farm for years as PuGs and are even easier now than when they were first PuGged out … my beloved game has lost so many knowledgeable raid leaders who can herd us undisciplined cats to success…raid finder is not helping people learn if they are doing well or poorly on their character to know if they are ready to step into harder content.
I really disliked that raid finder was activated on the server. As soon as that came in the six person level 80 groups being run drastically reduced… not only those looking for people externally but generally.
I disliked that ALL my claims were disabled. Some like free fast mount I don’t mind so much, but the paths I paid for…large account wide bag, the account bound expertise point jars and xp/aa boost potions …yes I do resent that …especially as most of those things are for sale in the ingame shop … so not exactly unobtainable for a new player.
@andyb What I would like for the next PvE server:
- a focus on small group play …six person instances.
- NO RAID FINDER!!!
- NO automatic full tier armour sets at level 80…allow us the fun of earning it for ourselves through gameplay … incorporate earning some nice but not overpowering level 80 pieces whilst we level and complete Saga special quests goals.
- a Saga quest line with six person instances as the goals with rewards for completing sections of it BUT not needing all of them to be done.
Eg: complete Black Castle, Sanctum Of Burning Souls etc within level = AA Xp potion, two t1 raid tokens, house Of Crom lvl80 blue gear items or khitai blue items per instance.
And the only consequence of not doing one of them at level is you don’t get those things associated with that instance as extras. Failure to complete doesn’t prevent you from doing the next dungeon up. The bigger reward being the more of it you complete the more claim boxes you will get with …atlantean shards? (You do need 6500 of these after all to get rings & gems)
- at level 80, a series of quests again focused on a completing a variety of six man instances with extra Known rewards (no lottery boxes, they spoil game play immensely…all THAT effort for 75 imperial insignias… please … “why did I bother” is what I feel when this is the reward). A similar concept to “Mastering the old world” quest that requires four instances to complete. But with a variety of instances and number of instances to make for less pressured more flexible game play.
- make the lvl80 quests similar to the poster boards in Khitai zones… you can only have one- three running at a time. Put a cool down on them so the same can’t be picked up again immediately. Change them every fortnight to a different combination of available ones …yes they can be reused. Ensure that you can complete any after they have been rotated off the current table … that way people can still complete them if partway through the set of dungeons at any time. Each week have at least one that can be completed without requiring AAs so new level 80s can complete in random group, perhaps the rewards for these one be focused on AA gain…eg expertise points, AA pots.
None of this would stop someone without the extra reward quest from doing the six mans. None of this would stop people from running or attending raids …especially as part of it there would be cool downs on taking more Saga special quests.
What would a reasonable bigger picture reward be for participating in this? This I haven’t thought out completely … maybe X set of level 80 Saga special quests completed = duplicate sets of ?? T5 weapon? 60 t4 tokens+dragon tear? 500 atlantean shards? A legendary chaos gem or gems? (For all of who have chased those since the instance opened knows how many you have to do to get that “perfect” gem drop and win it.) And unfortunately many people never do chaos at all, but have put the blue BoE gems in rings instead.
And yes the more active players who complete multiples of the X number will get more reward for it… or again people will stop as soon as the target number is reached …and these obsessive grinders are often those who form and teach the instances.
What I have found is I learned to play my characters better in small groups than in the anonymity of a 24 person raid.
Don’t get me wrong, player-lead raids are a lot of fun, I’ve made new acquaintances and friends through attending PuG raids.
But in comparison to raids, especially the random nature of RF, small group instances are more personal and easier to get to know people and know if you want to play with them.
And this is what I’d hope we would gain from this type of PvE server, players who know how to play their classes effectively, have experience in dealing with a variety of game mechanics, sets of people who like playing with each other. The gear you can obtain through the level 80 six mans (epic Khitai gear, unchained epics) sets you up very well to tackle t3.5 and t4. Some unchained items are nearly equivalent to t4. And when you can do many of the six mans, you will be able to master the harder raids very quickly …