Secret World moments IRL

… Granted, that sort of thing happened…
But I’d like to think the current generation is beyond such a thing.
Keeps a firm eye on the Old Guard

I love how much mileage this image can get, just with a change to the text. (Here’s the fullsize if you want to do anything with it.)

5 Likes

HA!
Good one!
Personally, I had a slightly different scenario in mind:

The Place: Egypt, The Scorched Desert
The Time: Dawn
You stand outside a decrepit little hole in the wall in the slums of Al-Merayah
It’s taken you weeks, but you’ve finally tracked down the rogue scholar Iain Tibet Gladstone, who, after slipping his minders, promptly disappeared off the face of the Earth. Your handler will be pleased. For once.
The name of the place is scrawled in what you can only hope is charcoal across crumbling bricks comprising the front of the building. Badly. Three words are misspelled, which is particularly strange, as the name is only two words long. And one of those is “A”.
As you are pondering this oddity, the door opens in a cloud of incense, rare herbs, and very sick camel and out steps the man himself.
His eyes stare strait ahead, bloodshot and unblinking, the left one appearing to rotate slowly counterclockwise in its’ socket. His clothes are stained and disheveled, contributing mightily to the ‘ill camel’ smell. His hair, beard, and facial expression can only be compared to Giorgio Tsoukalos after french kissing a light socket. In a thunderstorm. While wearing copper lined underwear.
Sir Iain slowly stumbles up to you, mumbling softly to himself in no language you recognize. He suddenly snaps to attention, galvanized by forces beyond your understanding, and grasps you firmly by the lapels, looks you strait in the eye, his left eye spinning faster than ever, and slowly, with great difficulty breathes out:
"Don’t Drink The Mummy Juice"
Before slowly, and with great dignity, toppling strait over backwards, whence he began snoring with gusto, a state he would remain in for three full days before waking refreshed and relaxed, remembering absolutely nothing at all that happened since before leaving the Library.
END

1 Like

Oooh, you mean something more…

DONT DRINK THE
MUMMY JUICE

1 Like

Yes.
That.
Only …beardier

1 Like

Dude/Dudette, have you seen your current handler?
He’d be the first one sitting at the ready with a straw.

2 Likes

While that is true, our lore indicate that we leap into the unknown blindly, and fully accepting that we do so. That part, one of our faction handlers embody more than the other. They both equally represent what the Dragon as a whole is about. They are both the extremes, one looking too hard for order and understanding, one seemingly throwing it out the window.

We might not be lunatics, but neither is he, he just looks like it (imo).

I could easily see a Dragon take a chance with the Mummy Juice, that is the part where we jump in blind. I could also easily see lumies make someone else drink it. They are more known for directly manipulating things than Dragons are. Most times Dragons just let things play out, letting their silence tell the lie for them, while Lumies wanna pull the strings themselves.

It would really depend on the whole situation, whether or not it’s more of a Dragon or a Lumi thing to do.

Now different Dragon perspective out of the way. SWL IRL moments. Lets see.
Had a very persistent group of crows being very nosy every day when going to my old work … i’d lie if i didn’t think of a Revenant. If that is the case, it was just a very bratty Revenant wanting part of my breakfast … we came to an understanding. I feed it a bit, and it doesn’t try and push me in front of the bus.

So, I’ve just gotten cable for the first time after a couple of years of Cutting The Cord (the deal they offered me was just too good to pass up-like 50 bucks a month cheaper than Internet alone with third party Streaming services). I find myself having trouble sleeping and am watching some odd shows in the wee hours of the morning. Particularly Treasure Quest: Snake Island, Season 2, on the Discovery Chanel. I reach the episode “Striking Gold” to find the Crew has discovered a strange obelisk in the middle of the jungle. One of the crewmen free climbs it and retrieves from a hidden crevice a completely smooth, egg-shaped rock. On the rock is an inscription: an Eye In The Pyramid.

1 Like

It’s nice to see Dr. Zern is still getting work these days:

How about hearing investigation missions on the radio? Nobody knows the words to Snow - Informer, so does that make him the absolute worst informer… or the best? Is it encrypted? If I find the right cipher and key, maybe I can get an official MP3, or even a FLAC, and run it through some free online Java-based audio DSP and decryption suite… which seems unlikely. And which of the few words I can make out might be the key? And what cipher applies to audio ciphertext? I must have overlooked a few clues.

1 Like

It wasn’t easy, but it’s done!
The translation for Informer:

1 Like

“Apparently”, these are soot tags, which gather after fires in areas with low circulation. They are not, as commonly believed, ash covered spider webs. At least, that’s what they WANT us to believe…

I don’t think anyone here has any such delusions.

(found on Tumblr at: https://crookedpwnguin.tumblr.com/post/180014318756/soot-tags-gather-after-fires-in-areas-with-low )

4 Likes

I have a story that this group might actually appreciate.

It takes place on a highway, driving through a small town in the early evening in winter. It’s dark and the fog is rolling in, reflecting back the headlights. I’m sitting at a stop light at the main intersection near rush hour, so there are cars behind me. Ahead, there’s a strip mall on the right, then a lot of forested gully alongside the highway and few lights until a mile or so up the road.

The event I’m relating lasted maybe four seconds. That’s important to know. The brevity of it all was a big part of the surreality of it.

Here’s what happened. As I was sitting there, comfortably esconced in my mundane, every day automobile at the intersection that I drove through most every day at least once, Something walked onto the road, at the very edge of visibility from my headlights. It was walking upright, like a person, but one who might have been dragging his knuckles on the ground and it was small. Maybe two feet tall. Something short and hunched over and walking like a mockery of a human being.

The light changed and all I could see was a black shape casting shadows on the fog as it casually crossed the road. Not running in fear. Not attempting to hide. It strolled across the road unhurriedly, identically to every blurry, grainy, black-and-white, super-8 home movie of a sasquatch that you’ve ever seen in your life. The hair on my neck was standing up, and there was a chill on my spine, but I was in the front of the line; I had to move. Despite the fact that my world had suddenly slipped into some world where Moth Man and Sasquatch and Leprechauns might actually exist, I couldn’t just sit there blocking traffic. I accelerated and the shape touched the pitch-dark shoulder of the highway and disappeared into the darkness.

I had no eyes for the road. I desperately probed the shoulder near the bus stop as I whizzed past; needing to see something; some evidence of what I had just witnessed, and simultaneously deathly afraid that I would see something; something out of a Twilight Zone nightmare. Seeing nothing at all would almost be worse than that, though.

And, at the last second as I drove past at thirty miles per hour, my headlights reflected back at me from a pair of glittering eyes at the edge of the embankment, and the barely discernable shape of an angled face…

It was a racoon. A smegging racoon!

I exhaled and the world flipped back into the mundane world where Sasquatch and Moth Man and Chupacabra are figures of urban legend and characters in video games.

But for those 4-5 seconds, the world was not mundane. Not the least bit. Even though I sit here typing this, knowing how the story ends, I still feel that thrill at seeing something completely “unnatural” appear and just as mysteriously disappear. If the racoon had moved deeper into the bush, where I never glimpsed its face, I still would not know today what manner of cryptozoological creature I had encountered. I can see how some people get addicted to that feeling of chasing the unknown and attempting to encounter the unnatural.

3 Likes

THEY ARE COMING FOR US…

Do you want Werewolves?!?!
Because THAT’S how you get Werewolves!

https://www.newdawnmagazine.com/articles/behold-the-green-dragon-the-myth-reality-of-an-asian-secret-society

Ok, it actually took me a bit of time to work out if this is a secret world related site, like the old Kingsmouth Sherriff’s office website.

2 Likes

“The waters have been further muddied by role-playing games which have combined the Society with H. P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos and other fictional elements. Determining what is “real” and what is the playful figment of someone’s imagination can be tricky.”

Tricksy. From chaos there is order; order and clarity…

Go figure, I was just rereading the Tzimisci section Scriv wrote for Lore of the Clans last night. It reads much like echoes of the Buzzing, with Secret World Dragon elements peeking in here and there. Does that make that quote full circle, or another coiling branch? :dragon:

Either way, if they run into Scriv’s stuff at all, those waters are likely as clear as a bog for them.

Um…just saw this. I wanna know what’s down there in the hollow earth! http://www.thespaceacademy.org/2019/02/breaking-scientists-have-detected.html

Welp. That’s bad.

3 Likes