Seperate map or Linked?

Unless I have completely misunderstood the breakdown…

Yes. That’s what I am worried about too. RP community is screwed until such patch goes live.

1 Like

Its not a “new game”. It’s literally advertised as an “Expansion”. They should’ve marketed it as a new game mode or something being as we cannot “Expand” on our existing stuff.

2 Likes

Hey @Flawless

It is an expansion pack including a new map and content. It expands the game, not the map.
For more details, check out our dev stream tomorrow at 5pm CEST:

2 Likes

so all private servers will now see a split off players, and the downfall of population on those servers just as we feared, nice one funcom…

Great! Then call it what it is. Unless you are able to bring something into it from your current location, it is a new game. They could have called this Kull the Conqueror, and it would be the same result in the end.

And yes, an expansion would be just that; A new area that you can explore with your current character, weapons, armor, and traits. A new game means you start from scratch.

Based on what we see here, and what you basically admitted, new game.

7 Likes

yay it expands the game but we cant continue where we left off, so need to start over no matter how you see it, thats not how expansions in games should work you know.
so yea you fubar there unless you can manage to fix that, prepare for a flame war on the stream tomorrow hehe, not from me though i’ll just be watching haha

1 Like

That’s just not how Unreal Engine works – each map requires its own server instance to run in UE. Also, they can’t both be in the same map file because the Exile Lands already strained the limit of what UE can do; can you imagine how much buggier a given server would be if they tried to double that? It would be a hot mess!

As for private server admins, I’m currently planning to spin up an additional server for the new map (once available on my host). I expect many of my players will enjoy the option of being able to choose where they want to adventure on any given day. Lots of players already gamed on multiple servers before this, so this isn’t exactly a new paradigm, it just means there will be more variety in their options now.

6 Likes

I spent the last weeks farming to stock resources for the new “expansion”. I hope at least we will be able to use the new materials on exiles map.

1 Like

This is not a problem for non-RP community. But in RP community you have players, characters linked between each other. While having second server to run expansion is sort of solution, the player base will be split as not everyone will want or can get the expansion…

1 Like

That is what I wanted to know thank you @Glaucon

I own my private server through Gportal. Does it mean that now everytime I will log into the game I will get to choose which map do I want to launch? Or will I have to choose that on Gportal level when restarting map (in which case map swap will require a restart too)?

What will happen with our characters then? Will they exist simultaneously on two maps and the game will load in the last known location we had. What happens to item and experience we gather on the other map?

Sorry for so many questions, but I think the confusion everyone have stems from that.

1 Like

Exactly.

No one asked for both maps to run at the same time. What was asked was for a new area to explore. If that entails loading a new map, fine. Presumably, the data required for the character is the same in both games, so it would seem that in transferring from one map to another, it would require the data to be overwritten with the current data as the old map is closed and the new one is opened, or as we used to do it, both games read from the same data files, so there is no need for duplication.

Well, the time has come to play another game… I have absolutely no interest at all, to start completely fresh and even lose all my stuff (I dont refresh decay on 2 server instances).

Yes, there are enough who do that and like that (often PvPers). So enough will be happy, but I am not…
Good thing, I didnt even buy the latest DLC.

Too bad you cannot download the databases from PS4 servers.

I hope at least, that the last dungeon will be added in the normal map and then I can remove my bracelet and say good bye.

It was nice, it was long and it was mostly fun, even tough the game has probably more bugs than features.

5 Likes

Except for the fact that the database contains a LOT more than just characters and inventory. There’s everyone’s builds, all their deployed thralls and their gear… Having used the database browser/editor before, character info is only a small fraction of what’s in the save file/database.

3 Likes

You choose on the Gportal level, which map to start the server with. It keeps two fully separate database files. Think of it like this:
game.db = Exiled Lands
game_Siptah.db = Isle of Siptah

You just tell the server which database to load when it boots up. All your old Exiled Lands content remains in game.db, waiting for that database to be loaded at some future time. Each database knows nothing of the other, so you will have a separate character on each Map.

Everything that is the game content, which includes you, all other characters on the server, buildings, material stockpiles, thralls, etc, is stored in the .db database file on the server. So you never have to worry about overwriting or losing your content if the dedicated server loads up the other map.

4 Likes

Well, I’m excited.

I’m keen to start a new map and new character.

But for Crom’s sake, please leave hardened bricks in the Exiled lands!
(I’ve no doubt they’ve come up with some new building torture)

9 Likes

Thank you Pianki, I think I grasp it now.

We don’t lose progress in the meaning that it’s not deleted. The character simply stays on the Exiles lands map, while we create a new one on the Isle.

It’s bad and good at the same time, there is always a bit of a thrill in starting anew I guess, so looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Im sort of like mixed. I have not posted in a long time.

I don’t like the idea of an expansion that basically wipes my current character who has accomplished so much. I get that it will feature many new things. But progress is progress.

We know that basically its going to come down to a very tough decision.

Starting over and seeing where this goes with an large amount of people competing for space in the new land. Which means overbuilding etc.

Im feeling like this is sort of not for me. I’ll just stick with what I have leveled up and and what I have worked for.

This new land is optional. So if I can’t bring my character there without starting fresh I’ll just call this a new game and not bother.

I try and be supportive and I try and be positive.

But this is essentially a new product. The old one wasn’t even finished yet.

5 Likes