Simple suggestion for cities, obelisks, dungeons, brimstone ... blocking -> an unbuildable path that connect them all

or you know they could have player post report about blocking building and police the servers like WHAT EVERY PRIVATE SERVER DOES… Is it that hard to run a discord group for each official type … then insert a admin bot that would notify Official server X problem reports. If you got offending player ban them from playing on that server… its that stupidly simple … police your own server and you will see a massive change to the attitude of players. This is precisely why i dont go on official server. to me official server is just a gateway either player will love it or they will run from it since its poorly ran depending on alpha clans to maintain the peace and order sigh

well believe it or not , even before the guidelines were reinforced and more clear on what isn’t a good behaviour funcom has already taken actions toward greifers on officials , It may have taken a bit longer than on a private server
since they tend to have an owner who plays on it and don’t have to manage the 1000 other servers as well

but in the end all it took was a detailed message from several clans to make them take said actions .

And for your hate of official servers , it’s sad to get to that point and I understand why people feel this way

but I rather think that instead of saying is it so difficult this or that and accuse them of doing nothing maybe open a thread with suggestion to help them solve the problem as you said having a discord with a detection bot for reports could be a good thing and suggesting it to them is better than throwing it like an mark of not doing anything ,

sometimes something evident for you isn’t for some one else .

Honestly from my perspective I genuinely think that Funcom is on the right tracks as is making real efforts to make the game core mechanics work better even if this investment in dev time won’t be as much cost efficient than adding more and more dungeons and content to the actual map ,

and don’t take me wrong , I crave new content as a tiger that hasn’t eaten for a week ,

but they are doing it , and also with this clarification more than a change in their guidelines & terms of conduct . they still have a long way to go to reach a good state of the game but all they showed these last couple of months give me faith that they trully understand ( trully but I didn’t say fully ) what the games needs for it to be better .

the only way to fully understand what the game needs would be to play thousand of hours on PVP & pve C & pve to understand all their differences , the different set of mind of the people there ect…
And this is why player feedback is important and the best would be player feedback with no emmotional attachment to it , but that’s very difficult to obtain , since most of the time and myself included we learn that the forum exist because we need help or to complain about an issue .

For me this argument is a bit short , I understand that the liberty of building in this game is important and having explored the exile lands from top to bottom left to right and seen such many wonderfull place that had my imagination worked like crazy and the idea of a treehouse there or a small lodge here is the best feeling , but this idea of a no building line , would help the dev team so much more than they can imagine towards 2 things :

• first for evident reasons of having less work of making the police on servers in the future since now they have updated their terms of conducts , and this line is the core issue
  • and in the second it will let them more areas to implement new stuffs without fearing that on a server someone already built in said location, I’m not saying that they don’t have already enough space , but this would make it easier for them to add stuff in “known locations” without having the new stuff entering in conflict with potential pre-existing player buildings , most of the content they add have been in caves already non buildable for this reasons , and the problem of people having built on top of said caves, blocking the new content like the spider boss spawn of skittering cavern and therefore nemedian hellm and akitbana throwing knifes ,arose just after their implementation since there was no spawn to block before .

I do understand where you coming from, but by adding more areas like the vulcano and the forst temple they have also extended a lot the possibility and the variety of landscape you can build in and I bet that with the new "map dlc " we will have new locations again .

but I can’t agree with the fewer content , the game needs more deph in it’s endgame pve content and the last dungeons were taking the right way in terms of new mechanics like the aoe of thag coupled with a skeleton summoning , or the warmaker’s spike/gas/jump traps ( would love to see those traps be generated a bit more randomly (like once they were set off , they would have alternate spawn points so that dungeons fill a bit more renewable in terms of doing it repeatidly ) , and when I say new content , revamping is new content in my way of thinking as for adding more options with the stuff with already have it still content creation

also I feel you when you say you are frustrated and about the players policing themselve , and I apply that to myself and do my best with the other clans of my server , but even then there will always be cases of unexpected events :

• first example , a protection maproom decayed at an obelisk because of the holiday timmer going back to normal , a greiffer took it before anyone realized what happen , and funcom has had to intervene because of it .
  • second example , when the new update with all the revamps and the add of the sobek cave , skittering cavern went out , there were so much new content , that people were very occupied , and it took some time to realize that a grieffer blocked one of the new content a bit after there release when the hype went down again funcom have had to intervene ( maybe it was the same time but I can think of more case scenarios )

the last thing I want to say is of course limitations and regulations will make the player behave a bit more properly in regards to blocking if it is enforced behind since it takes (even minimal ) effort to farm the materials to block something , then no one will even try if each time they do they get banned ( but of course this would take to much effort from funcom part to ensure , and I rather have them work on core mechanics of the game and new content than on griefers in so the suggestion of the line )

We are on the internet a place that has reunited all kinds of groups together , I once heard a comic that i forgot the name who said about internet , before the rise of internet if a random guy in a small village in the middle of nowhere would beep a sheep , he would be the strange guy nobody speaks to , but now with internet this man is part of a community of people who have the same common interest , and this is the same thing with toxic behaviour , for some it’s just all a joke because it’s on a game , for others it’s hours of life invested in a thing they cherish . and the line is thin in who is right and who is wrong

Likewise. People arguing for this are concerned primarily with official servers. Single-player, co-op and private servers aren’t always subject to the same restrictions. When they are, they have the option of using @Multigun’s wonderful LBPR mod.

How’s that working out when it comes to undermeshers?

1 Like

I do agree that the new content shouldn’t only be targeted towards endgame content only , and having it distributed more evenly on the lvl scale while implemented , i would still do the new content added and enjoy it at lvl 60 , i would adjust by going to it with no thrall ect …

for the 5 man dungeon , which one are you speaking of ? the warmaker or thag ? cause i do both alone , and even if i died twice against thag , it’s still doable with a good thrall and it’s crom sword , but I guess I played a bit too much and tend to forget how hard the game can be nowadays

I didn’t watch them , but I know that firespark81 and wak did videos on duo dungeon with no thrall that might help you get through them a bit easier ( idk i didn’t watch this series of videos yet )

No, I’m saying that – as @Croms_Faithful has pointed out on other occasions – singleplayer actually has fewer of those restrictions and gives you more freedom. And when the restrictions do apply to singleplayer, yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying, that you should either:

• learn to play with those restrictions
    or
  • pick one or more of the several options for circumventing those restrictions that are available to you and not to those who play on the servers

And to be honest, even without that option, I would probably still say the same. Yes, it’s unfortunate you can’t bring your pet alligator to the parent-teacher conference – I’m sure yours is perfectly well-behaved, but John brought his once and it bit a kid’s leg off and that’s why we can’t have nice things :wink:

It’s not really surprising or controversial to state that sometimes there are compromises to be done to make things better for more people. I’m not a believer in “freedom above all” and think that there should be a healthy balance between freedom and common good.

We don’t rely on the mods to play the base game. We rely on the mods when we don’t like the way the base game is and have the freedom to change it, unlike others who don’t.

It’s what they call a rhetorical question. It’s pointing out the flaw in your wishful thinking.

Okay, let’s get something out of the way first:

Pointing out that your statement does not, in fact, hold any water in reality and isn’t in any way a solution is not an attack on you, it’s an attack on your statement.

What is a rather base form of ad hominem is name-calling, such as (added emphasis is mine):

Now that we’ve got hypocrisy out of the way – and yes, that was an attack both on you and your arguments – what I was referring to when I mentioned him was this thread where he mentions that he is able to build in several places that are otherwise restricted to those of us who play on official servers.

As for the sliders and toggles, there’s a console command, too, but it does have certain limitations.

I respect your right to have an opinion and state it. You’re not expected to refrain from stating your position. If you do state your position, however, then maybe you should expect it to be discussed, replied to or even argued against. If I thought that your position shouldn’t have been stated because it doesn’t belong on these forums, I would have flagged it. Instead, I said I disagree with it – just like you did to Kanza1 – and stated my reasons why.

And in case those reasons weren’t clear, it’s because I believe the change would help prevent behavior that is causing significant problems on official servers and would still leave the option for everyone else to circumvent it. I’m not telling you to change the way you play. I’m telling you that I support the suggestion because it’s good for a lot of people and it doesn’t have to impact you.

Almost missed this one. I watched a video that showed a few entrances to black keep. I ask that you stress that point if you find them blocked, also.

1 Like

I find the arguement of “they’re gonna block it anyway” slightly shortsighted.

If you make it that a person needs, for example, 10k black ice pieces to block brimstone (about the amount to build a wall around an entire tile), that will eliminate many from being able to build it; not only that, should they begin this endeavour, others will have much more time to react and interrupt the blockade.

My server ruined in the span of maybe an hour, just foundation stripes all over brimstone. The clan didn’t have that many resources but with it being so easy to do, there’s a very small time window to even react.

Any size of no build zone around brimstone would be better than no restrictions at all.

hola buenas esta muy buena la idea :+1: :ok_hand:

By the way , I was thinking of … this line could be a setting that can be turned off in the server settings ( it would be on in pve(-c) by default ) ? and any private / solo player could turn it off ?

Paging @Multigun, since he’s the author of LBPR mod, so he’s likely to actually know how these things are implemented and whether that’s possible with what is implemented in the game code right now.

1 Like

There isn’t an existing setting, so one would have to be made. There is an admin code to bypass building restrictions, but it’s limited to 100 pieces. I’m sure that could be changed or fixed if given priority. LBPR has it’s own setting for this (screenshot of LBPR settings can be seen on the workshop page).

So could it be done? Sure, enough of the building restriction code is exposed in blueprint already (thank goodness, as LBPR wouldn’t exist otherwise). I’m not a coder (I know just enough code to cause chaos when I’m modding though), but I imagine that adding a server setting would be doable since the code is exposed in blueprint already. Matter of priority though.

My personal feeling is that, while it’s an interesting suggestion, it’s a HUGE map change after so many years. This isn’t like adding a new dungeon entrance and a small percentage of people losing their base for it (Warmakers). People’s existing structures would suddenly be lost by the hundreds. Funcom, I think, would be hesitant to make that change for that reason.

3 Likes

Sorry, I should’ve been clearer. What I’m curious about is how the current no-build areas actually work. This is just my own curiosity, not necessarily something in favor or against the suggestion.

Basically, I was curious to know if a no-build area is implemented by dropping something invisible into the game world and whether that invisible thing can be turned on/off through settings or whether they would have to implement a new kind of “entity” (or whatever it’s properly called in UE4) that would support toggling on and off.

Did I make sense with my question?

Thank you for your indsight , I really don’t think this would temper with pre-existing builds , and if the line is thin enough (1 fundation wide ) with buildings in the process as I seen pre-existing bases survive untill the owner let it decay at the entrance of the warmarker dungeon ,

the pre-existing structure was only a community build to prevent blocking this point of interest but it was there months after the dungeon was added with the only trouble I could really see though is if you get a purge that breaks a hole in said structure , there would effectively be no way to replace said structure piece

but it would give funcom a huge favor to us , and themselves in the long run , since they would not have to police anymore blocade of said dungeons / resources / obelisks / rare spawn( at least not the future ones , only the pre-existing ones ) .

also in a certain way greifing players that blocade other people base would have a harder time since it would only take you to build close enough of said path to not be scared of being walled in

My main idea behind this is only that if they implement it now , of course they will face a bit of backlash due to it , but it the long run I genuinely think that this will prevent the most toxic behaviours and save them time to solve other issues !

Bingo. Invisible boxes and cylinders connected to code.They are all over the map.

Turning them off? I dunno, maybe. Bypassing them? Yes, as I said, this is what LBPR does, and what I assume the existing admin setting does.

That would take high hundreds, to thousands of said boxes. I don’t know what kind of performance impact (probably not a lot, but would start to add up in a hurry when there are thousands added), but the workload alone isn’t feasible in my mind.

And we’re going to have to agree to disagree. I do not think it’s viable to let hundreds of existing structures be lost because they can no longer build in that specific spot. People would riot here, they did when Warmakers was blocked off and only a fraction of the population would be affected. Building is also the main feature I focus my modding on. I see people’s unique builds all the time, and official server people are just as creative (just less tools). My heart would break for those structures lost.

Not feasible, in my mind. Not this late. But it’s not up to me, if Funcom thinks its a viable suggestion, they’ll que it up as appropriate.

3 Likes

I am honestly not sure if this is intended on Singleplayer, or a beneficial bug. When I first posted it in an even older thread I invited the CMs to clarify. However for whatever the reason they did not reply. It is strange that we can build virtually anywhere in some dungeons, nowhere at all in others, and only in certain places in others. Thats not even getting into the Unnamed City and imediately alongside Obelisks side of things.

Although I can see how this may be beneficial, I am very reluctant to take a position on this subject, as it pertains directly to online modes, which I have seldom played. For the time being Im ideologically neutral on this one.

3 Likes

Oooh, crap, I didn’t even think of that during this whole discussion. :man_facepalming:

When they blocked off Warmaker’s, my public map room near the obelisk wasn’t affected. I can’t add anything to it – I checked – and if I tear it down I wouldn’t be able to build it again, but it’s still standing.

At any rate, it’s a moot point, because your previous point was right on the nose. :man_shrugging:

Also, thanks for taking the time to answer all of this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can confirm.

On 1590 Official a group had paved over the entirety of Shattered Springs with T3 black ice foundations, and members of that clan had admitted repeatedly in public chat that they had been duplicating God-Coins and explosives.

Funcom removed it within 48 hours of making a report. Just no one had thought to do it before I did

1 Like