Siptah nights & surge illumination

Hello everyone,

With the changes to the darkness level & particle system a few patches ago (I believe it was 2.4, or so…?), the nights on Siptah are now Melissandre-friendly (dark & full of terrors - quite literarily so, during a Maelstrom). However this might cause some trouble (or unecessary delays, if no admin with access to the light switch is around…) if it gets dark during a surge run, at which point it might get somewhat crippling.

However, I believe there might be a potential for a new feature to be implemented (shouldn’t be too hard either, as it’d probably only require to modify one object class for it - or so I hope), that could be an elegant solution.

As we can see, the portal itself is always pointing towards a land in the middle of the day, well lit by the sun. As we know from the physics lessons from the past (I presume - seeing the game is +18…), the light is always reflected, depending on the surface, and the photons continue on a path with an energy level corresponding to the wave length given to them after the last contact to some other object.
Due to that, and the surge “source” being a well-lit area, we can assume that quite a lot of the light reflected from the source area should be coming through the portal.

Of course, we can’t be sure if the portal itself doesn’t have any polarization properties, but seeing that we can “see through”, and it is so bright - I believe it can be a relatively safe assumption that it is not.

Hence, the surge portal itself should be a considerable “light source”, capable of illuminating the area around the Leyshrine in a quite significant way (probably like a light beam source with the diameter of the portal itself).

So, my question to the dear DevTeam would be: do you think it would be possible to implement such feature into the game and make those portals shed a bit more light into the surroundings? :slight_smile:

Besides making for some glorious beauty night shots, for everyone living nearby, and being practical for those running the surges, I would hope that it might be re-used in other features (depending on your plans for the game of course) as well, thus making it “worthwhile” to take a look…?

Keep on hearing some feedback on that idea. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.