Snake Arrow Suggestion

I just read on the latest hot fix how you are thinking of removing the damage from snake arrows. I will agree that they are currently too powerful for the cost, but instead of nerfing the damage, why not increase the cost? I suggest adding reaper poison to the cost of making them. For instance, one branch plus one reaper poison, or some combination of the two. As it now stands, reaper poison is fairly useless. But adding them to the cost of making snake arrows will enhance their value

3 Likes

Tragically the only thing that was making Archery valid in the first place was Snake Arrows.
Without them, there is very little reason to spec into archery. If it were to be adding something, then serpent glands. Not reaper.

1 Like

Nope. The sole way to adress it is to have those arrows require those set materials.
It probably shouldnt be a single heart - how many shards is it currently for ymir arrows?

I dont think they make archery valid in any way. Sure one might use them to apply a debuff to the enemy first and then hit him with “high damage” (:joy::joy::joy: What a good joke of mine.) to have the +25% buff from strenght enabled.

But does anyone actually invest highly into accuracy or uses several different arrows?
Well… me not. I use snake for certain enemies to dot them down, but thats it.

I totally loved archer prior to the combat update. Snake arrows had been the cheapest then but were weak in direct damage - resulting in them being more or less too weak to shoot down those frost giants or vanir. But with correct bow and ammo? One would actually deal seriously high damage on anything.
But currently bow is extremly far behind melee. Only useful for a dumbhunt. (Which sounds aweful, but those who run straight to an archer deserve to die. Never do that - you will get dotted. Or bring a good amount of antidotes…)

If anything validates archery again it’s a serious buff of bow or arrow damage on high accuracy in combo with that old powershot coming back - which already has been announced a while (which feels like months) ago.
Reason why bow damage (or weapon damage in general?) should mostly depend on the linked stat?
To have not everyone deal the same damage with every weapon but have people choose a certain stat for a certain kind of weapon.
Then only having them all be on par with each other is left. (there is a reason why most people wield spears - even though some of the other weapons got these nice animations to them…)

These new arrows are interesting. I’ve used explosive arrows and tar arrows to farm star metal. Yes, it does take 4-5 explosive arrows to have the same effect as demon orbs, but they are a viable alternative if you don’t want to spend hours and hours farming volatile glands from salamanders. The new poison arrow is also interesting, but I haven’t yet tried them in a combat situation.

However, this thread isn’t about whether or not archery is under-powered in PvP situations–it’s about not nerfing snake arrows and what can be done to avoid that. I’ve found snake arrows to be very useful in farming elephants and rhinos when my level isn’t high enough to take them on mano-a-mano. I just get on a rock and shoot them until they die. So I don’t want to see them nerfed, but I do understand that they are currently too powerful relative to the cost.

Uhm would you be as kind to help me with the current number of bombs per starmetal node?
Last time I farmed that stuff it took one single bomb to crack them open. Has that been risen?
Because 4-5 explosive arrows is basically the same like 4-5 bombs…
The new poisonarrow is crazy. I mean its basically the same like the orb I think, but the orb is worse to handle.

Btw:
Once using a fireorb on a tarorb-aoe sets it on fire. Do that 4-5 times and that should crack it up just as well. Just throw the next tarorb after ~20 seconds passed since you’ve thrown the last one to keep the fire going.

Sure. I am speaking of both. Both pve and pvp.
Have you ever farmed a certain boss with those snake arrows? It takes roughly 40 for that boss to die and the reward is decent. But have you ever used archery without “hiding” outside of some potential dangerzone (= any area which can be run up to to hit you)?
Because that would be fair sniping. Sitting on a rock basically means immortality and is bad if you ask me. It’s not like elephants are crazy to kill on lvl 20, the player just has to get used to their attack and movement pattern. Thats it. I think even stoneweapons should suffice to kill them.
Key is not getting hit.
But yes - I have seen a ton of players who prefer to trade hits.

That is exactly what makes the Ymir Arrows useless. Those arrows do not do that much damage and are WAY too expensive to make.

Not everyone is into HACK-N-SLASH. Sitting on a ledge and thinning out a few rhinos and tigers at the savanna is a smart move before jumping down and engaging in the rest with melee attacks.

True, I guess noone uses them due to that. Too low damage and on top of it, too expensive…
On the other hand… is there any arrow which is being used aside of snake and the new special arrows?
I mean most of those who actually use the bow.
Basically meaning its the same reason most people go for snake arrows. They are too cheap to craft - lots of people have always said that. And in a way, they are right.
Meaning, yep ymirarrows are expensive and thus useless. However, think about a single heart being used on top of the branches for those snakearrows. I think that would be fine and it would add at least some cost to those most used arrows…

And reducing the horde before jumping down to have some fun is one thing - killing bosses with poison another…
This is number 1 reason why anti archery guys (the ones who loved the nerf) have been arguing against bows in favor of dumb brute mode. (Though dumb brute includes trading hits… more than enough people do that - I cant explain myself why…)

What I was meaning is that when I look at all of the arrow types, the weight and the damage makes crafting arrows of any type pointless.

If you have an easy level of access to crystal (which I do near my base) and enough time. You can orb things.

Snake arrows were the bows only “Go To” option. Yes they are overly cheap, but Ymir, Iron Head, Fire, Heal, Razor Arrows etc are all expensive to make. I love the idea of them, but not being able to fletcher anything outside of bone arrows makes a trip back to the armor bench a little time consuming. Even for snake arrows.

People used to make arrows on battlefield. We can’t though
---------------------->
Id propose that instead of making Snake Arrows harder to craft or making them deal less damage that we can only craft them on the bench.

Maybe we could make arrowheads stackable. Add sticks feathers and twine and craft non specialty arrows on the fly as opposed to heading back home.

100 arrowheads wouls not weigh much.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.