So, Funcom suggested they listen, then take every action to prove that they don't

I agree with you and as stated before, I can’t legitimately talk from a PvP position.

In PvE however, none of what you stated applies really. The only rotation of base and land claim is when a player/group of players get disinterested and decay finally takes its toll when it comes to PvE.

The base we have been working on all this time is forfeit moving to a private server to deal with the changes, and the changes coming, directly interferes with continued development on said base. It is a unique situation for each player. However, lots of players are in this situation.

I’m bummed Funcom doesn’t differentiate from type of server for their adjustments. I understand it comes at a cost to facilitate further configuration between servers, but I personally think it would be very worth it for Funcom and the players.

Its a matter of what they find important. Currently, it feels like mounts and thrall levels/perks are more important to Funcom then a large group of players and their play style.

They kill the boss creatures as I kite them over. Bosses kill them. Keys galore. I killed over 400 thralls/pets. It was glorious. I have pictures, but they are not safe for the general public, what with the arms and legs and whatnot scattered all over.

1 Like

Not quite. We have 6 clans that play together and fight in each other’s purges. The last 5 purges I fought in were - Snakes, Cimmerian Beast Tamers (3 times), Vanir Chieftains. That’s 4 of 5 human purges with the best one (Beast Tamers) three times.

I am positive the purges are a product of the base location. The snake purge was in the jungle, while two Beast Tamers were at the Mounds, and the other two were near the Great Dam.

Oh, it is, but it’s also bugged. I’m a creature of habit and I like having my main base in a specific location. On official servers, when my main base gets hit, I get stuff like rocknoses. On a private server with difficulty 5, I get Relic Hunters.

So yeah, if you have a main base and a few other builds in the desert, a couple of builds in the jungle and an outpost in the highlands, you might get Cimmerian Beast Tamers or Vanir Chieftains eventually. If you build mostly in the highlands and the Mounds, and only have a build or two in the jungle or desert, you would get a better chance of getting a human Purge.

Now let’s say I’m not just being a stubborn đïçk and that my builds are where they are because I made them before they re-broke the Purge. What’s the solution? Spam small outposts in the Mounds or the highlands? Do we really want to encourage that?

So yeah, getting a human Purge might not be nearly impossible for everyone, but it’s still a problem with serious ramifications.

I am expecting a purge tonight. If it comes at my Mounds base, it will most like be Beast Tamers. The Savannah base usually gets rocknoses. The desert base gets scorpions or hyenas. The Dam base gets either Beast Tamers or Vanir. That’s what I expect on a regular basis. Hyena purges are the worst because invariably there’s a baby hyena somewhere that you have to find and kill to advance the wave.

In the PvP server, our last purge was Followers of Jhebbel Sag. There were some named characters along with the animals from the Grove. Like the hyena purge, we had to hunt down the stray DEER to end the wave a couple of times.

Every purge, somebody asks why they don’t get something, and we always refer them to the Wiki page that shows what will purge and the range it goes. It also used to mention that level 6 spawns more animal purges than human, but that’s been changed.

I’m not sure how long you’ve been playing, so you might already know what I’m going to write. If so, I mean no offense by explaining it.

There was a period when the Purges worked really well. You would have a chance of getting a human Purge regardless of where you built. It wasn’t guaranteed to be human, but was guaranteed not to, either.

One of the biggest problems with the Purge today is that there are locations where you are guaranteed not to get a human Purge. Ever. It has been tested, it has been confirmed, and it has been reported. I’m too lazy right now to dig for it, so I’ll summon @Zeb to help me out :wink:

This only happens on difficulty 6. It’s clearly a bug.

So I apologize if I sound like a broken record, but this is a problem that needs a solution, instead of encouraging people to spam little outposts in certain areas just to get a human Purge. Especially on PVE and PVE-C servers, where there’s no base destruction, so you can’t turn this outpost spamming into fun little wars.

2 Likes

Got at Wednesday again a spider purge, instead of a human purge… But my mainbase is bugged for purges anyway… There just doesnt appear anything anywhere and after 1 hour the purge defeated message appears, without seeing a single monster :confused:

And then Funcom locks armor behind a purge armorer, because its something you can get daily… facepalm (PS.: I even have a purge armorer).

You know the Cymric are Welsh, right? I’m Welsh and Wales is NOT in England.

The purge last night was in the Savannah, and we got the usual Rocknoses. However, since they fixed the Rocknose purge, we didn’t get 7-8 Avalanches per wave. It was a welcome change.

Per your other question, I started Conan on July 4, 2018, so I have a tad bit of experience. I remember getting Lemurians in the jungle, Vanir in the north, Darfari & Exiles in the desert, and Relic Hunters in the west. I also remember every single one of them being naked, and not a single named thrall among them. Since the change, I have personally fought in well over 50 purges for both my clan and allies, and we had to defend against humans quite a bit.

As to the other comments about what level Purge will and won’t come, Level 6 does not mean only level 6 purges will spawn, because, according to the Wiki, levels up to 5 and 6 are only in the Snow, Highlands, and Volcano. Up to 3-4 in the center of the map & Jungle. Have you gotten Apes and snakes in the Jungle, because those are generally level 4. I have never seen a level 6 Imp purge, but that would be awesome.

I say all of that for this point. PvE is where I have spent the majority of my time. I have been in PvP for the last few months. My clan has 5 PvE bases across the map for convenience and thrall hunting. We like to build, but since we are one of the oldest clans on the server, we are also allied with all the large clans. We keep our server free of trolls. We’ve walled in jerks who build to block.

If you want multiple bases, all we ask is keep the path open, and don’t block resources.

Our 1st purge, a week ago, was Exiled Vanir Chieftain. We are in the highlands. Human purges are very possible.

Hey Zeb, these have been my findings up until now as well. However, it looks like the purge situation has been altered without notice or patch notes as of yesterday’s update. I say this because the PvE Official I play on saw 3 new purge types attack last night that are not including in the data-mined information available on the wiki.

These included:

• Cimmerian Berserkers (B9)
  • Lemurian Warriors (Jungle)
  • some type of Nordheimer purge (C9)

I’m eager to do some additional testing, but given how strong these enemies were, I want to get all my old thralls replaced with a few levels under their belts before the next go — at least on the Official anyway. Be curious to see what others’ findings are post-patch.

5 Likes

I can get you some screenshots of the B9 and C9 purges later, but I’m not sure yet about the Lemurians — didn’t have a chance to ask as that’s when all hell broke loose with the purge in C9. If only chat wouldn’t scroll to the bottom everytime someone makes a new comment…

I’ll try to ask tonight if I’m online. The cruel irony is, I had just finished dismantling my jungle base (to try and conform with the draconian 55 thrall limit and still have a hope at defending my other bases) when someone mentioned in global chat that they had gotten Lemurians earlier that evening. Pretty sure those who were in voice chat with me at the time are scheduling appointments with audiologists today…

2 Likes

I have reeled in horror as my formerly unstoppable reptilian herd was half-munched by a demonic croc. And as my purge bar surged after 14 hours of solid play, I’m leveling my new gang but quick. Thank you @Larathiel for your excellent reporting, and @Zeb :heart_decoration: for such a great analysis here in this thread!!

2 Likes

You do know the Welsh are Brythonic right?

The Brythonic are in the modern day - Welsh, Cornish and Breton.
Once it was all of Britannia that was Brythonic with the Picts North of the Lowlands of Scotland.

Prove me wrong.
A language of older Welsh was spoken in Wales, North West and North East England and Lowland Scotland before the Gaels took over all of Scotland.

Y Gododdin a Welsh poem is set in the Kingdom of Gododdin, a Brythonic Tribe called the Votadini before the Anglo-Saxons took over and formed Northumbria.

Yr Hen Ogledd refers to the Brythonic Kingdoms of Northern and Lowland Scotland.

Welsh are Britons, end of. You can’t argue against it. Insular Celtic is what Britons spoke.

And on another note…Aquilonia mostly formed Wales while Cimmeria mostly formed England, Scotland and Ireland. Clearly you don’t understand what I said, in general the Brythonic people were used to create the Cimmerians, so were Gaulish people from Gaul and the Kimmerioi. There was no such thing as Wales or England during that time perioid or a thing called Scotland. It was Albion/Britannia.

I know all that, being Welsh and all. I’ve got nothing to prove you wrong on. Semantics my friend…as for my original post regarding Funcom messing with the lore, I meant to say nearly all of it. I’ve paid attention, they gave the Cimmerians priests, which is wrong as Cimmerians did not worship their gods. At all. The Cimmerians armour should give the + to grit, not vitality, as according to R E Howard the Cimmerians were known as expert climbers. The Aesir/Vanir were not known for their climbing but their vitality. Poitainians are based on the Norman Knights and never had Katanas either. Did you ever hear of a Knight from Normandy weilding Japanese weapons?

Eh, Cimmerians were likely spiritual as they believed in Spirits in water and all that, maybe akin to a form of Druidism.

And Exiled Lands mate, anything goes. Exiles bring the knowledge of their culture and I shall say again, The Exiled Lands is not canon either. Giant-Kings ruled Stygia, and the place we’re in was lush and green not a desert. And there is the fact people move around Hyboria, which is not unheard of, maybe for the Khitan.

My Argossean, Bellerophon, has fought Vanir, Picts, Zingarans, Stygians and pirates. He took weapons and armour from them all. Maybe he sailed to Vendhya and bought things from there or went to the Antillian Islands where some Atlanteans went too.

I know they actively avoided worshiping their chief deity Crom, or at least worshiping him in the traditional praying and building churches fashion. But I’m not so sure about any others as far as how prickly they are to being worshiped.

At any rate, it’s not unreasonable that a few Cimmerians might convert to another religion after being exiled and stuck in a land where the gods are literally walking around and stomping on things. Though they might also be considered something like the village idiot by the other Cimmerians as well.

I’ve seen the Cimmerian Priest NPC, but it has been ultra rare and it’s a priest of Ymir, not Crom. Like others already mentioned, it’s not unreasonable to imagine that a few Cimmerians here and there might convert and worship one of the other gods. Most of the Cimmerians in the Mounds have the proper attitude towards Crom, e.g. “Crom’s poxy balls!”

Besides, the game allows you to create a Cimmerian player character and pick almost any in-game religion right at the start. And then you can run around the world and collect all the other religions. That’s so far from Howard’s source material, it might as well be in another galaxy – would you expect them to restrict that?

Here’s the thing: it’s a video game based on existing literature. Those are two different media and they have different requirements. The defining characteristic of video games, the one that sets them apart from other media, is the player agency. As Sid Meier famously put it, “a good game is a series of interesting choices”. That’s why usually everything in a good game is in service of gameplay, including the story, the world, the setting, the lore, etc.

What I’m getting at is that a certain degree “artistic license” if indispensable if you’re making a game.

So yes, you’re absolutely right about all those details. But I cannot agree with you that Funcom was taking the piss and “screwed with ALL of R. E. Howard’s lore.” That kind of hyperbole is not really reasonable.

Out of all your examples, I think the most egregious of Funcom’s lore screwups is the Poitainian katana. All the other examples are either reasonable artistic license or debatable :wink:

Well, I don’t know about Admin spawned purges. I do all research in game on officials if possible. Some things I have to do offline.

However, Last night, it was the Sobek purge in the jungle. All human, very few could be knocked out, and it was a disaster. There were 30 in the first wave, attacking from opposite sides, at the same time. They tore through the T3 building easily. Two of the players fighting were killed multiple times. The final wave had about 50.

The final tally lost included - Greater wheel, map, three stables with horses, around 45 legacy and newly placed thralls and greater pets.

If you wanted human purges in the jungle, you just got them, and they are not something to dismiss.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.