Post remove by author

Post removed by author due to the lack of the professionality of some volunteer “mods”. Regards.

2 Likes

The main difference between the books / comics and the 80s movies is that Conan is represented very different in the movies.
The movies depict Conan as the simple barbarian but in the original stories Conan was a very reasonable and intelligent man which led to him being able to conquer (there even is a book called Conan the Conqueror) the aquilonian throne.
If you have seen one of the many parodies of barbarian characters you will easily see that they got inspiration from the Conan movies instead of the books. Compared to the books the movies are “weak”, I dont mean they are totally bad or anything but due to their limited runtime they obviously can’t show the vast lore of Hyboria and the Conan Universe and the more action / combat focus of the movies might also be a byproduct of the time where they were created (80s action movies probably influenced a lot since thats what the majority of people wanted to see)
I did not read all stories about Conan but in those few I read I already saw the huge difference between the movie and book Conan, the developers of AoC mainly used the stories as their paragon thats why Conan might seem a bit out of place if you only know him as the movie barbarian. Also, the Age of Conan is the time after his conquer of the aquilonian throne, obviously he isnt as young anymore but still got the adventurous spirit which you can hear when talking to him in the game. He would love to go back to his old life where he was “free” (well, he still is a free man but he is pretty much chained to his throne making decisions and “office work”) and could travel through the various lands of Hyboria and go on adventures but now he got to fulfill the duties of being a king.
Oh and Keira is not Conans wife, she is more like his “right hand”, a very loyal companion, his wife is called Zenobia but she is not in the game as a NPC.
AoC isn’t like “100% lore friendly” either, especially because the Conan stories were not only written by R. E. Howard, several writers wrote stories about the Conan universe and there are many differences in these stories too but that’s completely normal, you will always have some differences if there are various writers and artist working on something but that’s totally no problem in my opinion, for me AoC did a really good job to introduce me into the Conan Universe, the day before I started playing I saw the first movie too and didn’t really expect the whole world to be so big but when I started to read some of the stories I started to recognize names, places and so on and lots of things in the game started to make more sense to me.

1 Like

While the 1982 Conan the Barbarian film had almost nothing similar to Howard’s Conan, it’s still an absolutely awesome movie and one of my favorites movies of all time.

2 Likes

Post remove by author.

AoC is based both on the books (not only the ones written by REH, but several others as well) and on the movies - mixing and matching parts from all of them.

Post remove by author.

Oh, kids know this Conan:

I read a lot of Howard’s stories about Conan and there are still a few before me. I must say that this game is a lot nicer when you walk down some alley and see an NPC and you remember him/her from a book. Its a real Hyborian adventure :smiley:

Does anyone remember this? I never knew it existed at all until a few days ago lol.

The whole series is on youtube-

1 Like

Haha i think i’m gonna see this. At least the first episode :wink:

wasnt this tv series a huge cringe fest? at least thats what i remember

Its a little campy, sword play is pretty lame, acting isnt top notch and effects are bad cgi. But the stories arent terrible, the imagery is sometimes good, overall if you need a Conan fix, its ok :wink:

The latest Conan movie was actually far more like the original stories in look and feel. This might be because it was influenced heavily by Age of Conan’s visuals. I’m pretty sure I saw a “making of” documentary which showed the infuence this game had on that film. Though the Arnie Conan was the better movie overall.

Yes. Dit felt like a DnD film set in Conan universe. Really felt like a fantasy film for those years. And even now, I enjoy it more even though it’s less like conan was described by the author.