Sorcery and the occult, a prepared sorcerer/occultist is supposed to be a dangerous encounter

I had an interesting idea about Sorcery a few months ago, my complaint was that Corruption was a resource that wasn’t being expended. As you cast more magic, you get more corrupted which allows better spells. There wasn’t a trade off except that corruption made you lose health and stamina. Unfortunately there wasn’t any reason to use Sorcery with this trade off in pretty much most styles of play except in Roleplay or in light PVE (or in very very specific ways that don’t really align with how everyone might want to play a sorcerer).

My post can be found here:

The idea was to see straight up buffs to sorcery in general. Make it dangerous, make it scary, make it so when someone knows they’ve encountered a sorcerer, they have a nasty fight on their hands.

But to see buffs like that, we need some restrictions and some effort and risk.

Much of the changes would happen with how Corruption is gained. It would more or less throw out the idea that corruption is this bad thing you get by playing in certain areas for too long or fighting and getting hit by certain creatures. You’d still gain corruption this way, but only to a point. Its an outdated system that was very similar to the Shrouded timer in Enshrouded. It existed as a limit to how long you could be in certain areas. Since its a resource, that doesn’t make much sense (and its default rate is painfully slow and not really noticeable, especially if you get in range of a dancer).

Corruption would take more effort to gain. Like a lot of effort. Clans would likely have one sorcerer and use their resources to get them to the level of spell casting they need. And the benefits would match the effort. Solo players could still become powerful sorcerers. Using the resources of clans that come to them (like the hermit in the Conan movie) to get spells and rituals done they cannot perform themselves. And for the singleplayer, they have server settings to toy around with.

But to get it there, we’re talking significant buffs and additions, as well as significant changes to how corruption is gained.