Speedrunning Conan Exiles

It would be independent of settings tho, so it wouldnt need any caveats other than no teleporting.

The question is: would it need to start from a new game?

May I ask why you choose 10X Progression? I’m not sure I’ve seen it answered. I’m totally down for a speedrun, but I’ll insist on doing it Vanilla, and possibly on a live Official for verification/cheering on. :smiley:

2 Likes

10X progression allows me to earn experience at a far faster rate than intended. Most people do it on vanilla difficulties but I find that there is a high skill gap and likely requires players who have played and mastered the skills for this game. As for Live vs Private: Private singleplayer servers lets us play the game without the worry of other players or untimely events that can’t be countered. Having a video is verification enough as I, as moderator, can see that it was done properly.

1 Like

And that’s why I got stock runs and the ability to run not on Custom. Custom just happens to be the category that I run. Sort of feels like you guys are making my run not as official as the rest.

Diehard official server players love doing that. Don’t take it personally, they do this to everyone. The rest of us enjoy your runs.

Personally I think runs should be done in sp only as if you attempt it online you’ll either be unfairly obstructed, or aided by player intervention. That could ruin the integrity of a run

1 Like

Personally, because it would be a multi-hour endeavor and I don’t have a lot of streaming followers, an “Official” test run would really pump me up. There are a lot of supportive people out there!

2 Likes

Support, yes. But you can get help by other players entering the same dungeon as you. Or other ways of interfering.

Welll if our confidence in each other breaks down, speedruns themselves break down. This is why I said I’d be doing a test run on officials. See, we simply have different visions of the rules, and when given a chance can work them out.

2 Likes

Quite opposite, it would be a lot easier because you might have two or three people already waiting at the dungeon entrance possibly and they see you enter and they might follow you in. I have thought about doing a private server with stock settings just for speedrunning the game with 3 or more players. It’ll be an event but no more is known about it because I’m just now developing everything for it.

1 Like

What about completing every Journey Step that can be done? And by that i mean, Journey Steps that are actually obtainable as i believe there are 1 or 2 that cant be done currently (though my memory is fuzzy on those details and i couls very well be misremembering something).

2 Likes

Pretty much this.

For those not understanding techee’s postion, speedrunning depends on the game’s integrity of everyone starting from the same launch point. Its why when you watch a speedrun of say Super Mario Brothers or Castlevania they do a reset between attempts. This is to clear out memory, and ensure no NG+ events (such as in SMB3 where when you beat the game and start again, you start with an inventory of P-Wings).

For Conan, its too easy to login to a dozen or so officials, see if certain chests are available with the loot I need, then start a ‘brand new’ character there and have access to all of that. Or find a server with buildings made by players that make some routes quicker, or even conveniently create them myself on an alt. Where as on Singleplayer you need to find the stuff and build as a fresh new world.

Events on multiplayer servers like techee suggested would be pretty cool to do, sort of like the NES Big 20 or Nesathalon. But those wouldn’t be counted for actual world records.

I think that’s covered by the 100% category.

Yeah, that’s 100%. Complete every possible journey step that you can do from a fresh game. I think there are two that you cannot obtain from a non server game through. I’ll have to check. But I can always create a speedrunning private server for people to join if they wanna.

I’ve climbed all over that site, and it looks like you run the place. How come there’s a player from last year with a lower time than yours, yet you’re listed as the champion?

For me, I don’t think 10X represents the game very well. In fact, I think it’s kinda a black eye. Compare another complex game, one with a story, like GTA V. Runs are 5+ hours., which is what CE would be on Vanilla with a very competent player.

Any chance you’ll set the rules to 1X?

2 Likes

Because of the UI. He’s not actually listed as the champion. He’s the top place in the list of most recent runs:

He’s also at the top on the “Any%, Custom, New Game, Singleplayer” leaderboard, but the player from last year is at the top of the “Any%, Civilized, New Game, Singleplayer” leaderboard:

1 Like

The best overall time, the hour fourteen, is ran on the civilized difficulty. The skills used for that is extremely impressive and takes months and years to properly learn how to do all of that. That isn’t a black eye to the community. My runs only use an exploit left available by the developers. The game was never meant to run how it is. There are a lot of speedruns that uses exploits in their games. I do the same thing. If you think I just have to get good at the game to be authentic to the game, then all I have to say is that there’s not one singular way to play this. Different playstyles for different players.

I think discovering all named locations could have some initial conditions like, spawn a horse and saddle, turn on god mode and free stamina. If its on a private server add pippi and a checkpoint that is both start and end, and then go hit them all. I imagine with knowledge and practice it would take about an hour dependent heavily on path chosen and whether someone dismounts appropriately to climb at the right spots or gets horse stuck on trees/rocks/etc. There would be a good time to beat and showcase the whole game landscape while racing past mobs and there would probably be a huge variation in completion times making it very competitive. It wouldnt be playing the game as originally intended of course, but it would be intensely challenging to get the best time and I would think if it is done in an hour, might make for a good show and would probably be hilarious when people blow their times.

1 Like

I can totally allow that for the run.

OK I guess. It’s terribly unclear to me. So when I post a 7-hour vanilla speedrun, it’ll be up against 10X times? I just don’t see that on any other episodic games.

3 Likes

Only in the custom category. Not in the other ones. Also in the other categories at 1x, you’re up against under 2 hour speed runs. Here’s a guide that shows an optimized route: