Suggestion: Add DEFEAT instead of killing, as a way to balance combat by Raikira

We can always hope. There are a few players who are very against this feature, and others who think it is good.

Part of PvP is exchanging victories and defeats. The gameplay can get intense, but at the end of the day, it’s just a game. You should find ways to enjoy defeat, just as you enjoy winning.

The Conan stories are filled with torturers, villains who enjoy hearing other peoples’ agony for their own cruel contentment. In “The Hour of the Dragon”, Conan is paralyzed, stripped, and impersonated. He spends the next chapter locked in a dungeon cell. Other times he comes to the aid of others, who happen to be trapped and tormented by vile enemies.

Both winning and losing are all part of playing a multiplayer Conan game. Sometimes you are at the mercy of another players’ power-trip. Other times you’re having a power-trip of your own.

Being bound, and binding other players presents a really unique gameplay feature that I personally believe in. I want to be able to parley with an enemy, and ask them “Why?” I would love to drag a player through the streets, before bringing them before my Set Altar and sacrificing their heart. Likewise, I would suffer the humiliation of being paraded through an enemy’s streets as a captive, just to catch a better glimpse of their base from the inside.

Sure, some players might just take this as an opportunity to humiliate their opponents. But that is fitting for the game, and fitting for the brand. Let your enemies stoke the fires of your vengeance.

if everyone’s roleplaying, it’s fine. When we come down to games, game design, and more realistic entertainment level, it is really bad…

If people play a game with the intent of RPing it’s one thing, when they play a game for sickly reasons, it’s not ok. There are in fact some people who have issues and behave in really distorted ways. When a Game has literal chores attached to it’s meta it becomes unbearable to deal with said type of players for anyone who isn’t a ■■■■■■■■■ (really don’t know why this word is censored)… Hence why most of the survival games to date are dead (or with populations that you can count on your fingers). Ark’s an exception due to it’s relative “recentness” plus dinosaurs, Mortal Online died quite fast, Darkfall Online also died pretty fast, there are way too many that are literally sleeping with the fishes hahaha

CE needs some sort of policing system so to either make it impossible for few players to ruin the game to others, or, making it really difficult to do so. Like it or not, there’s some sort of cyber-bullying within games, and it’s not okay…

If not we can always play private servers only, have the experience with admins who won’t be compliant with trolls, that actually ban those types on spot, or pvt ones with rules, whatever… It’s just an idea to help others, I honestly don’t care much, I don’t give any value to games, I don’t get attached to pixels hahaha I usually do the latter, stick with pvt servers avoiding infantile anarchy.

There are several mods created for Skyrim which have similar functionality. These mods are:

Defeat ~ (options for the victorious)
Death Alternative ~ (emergent mini-quests replace death and ressurection)
Sanguine Debauchery ~ (Slavery)
… and a few others

Fallout 4 also has a suite of similar mods for alternate defeat functionality.

Similar to original suggestion in this thread; defeated characters are in ‘downed’ state aka ‘bleed-out’; with several options such as Robbery, Execute, Revive, Enslave, Ravage, Tie Up…

This mechanic is also useful for gladiator events, fight clubs, where players compete in organized groups; one-on-one or team combat etc.

I’ll explore creating a mod with some of these features once CE is live; though these mechanic should be done by development; fully supported and robustly tested; doing a mod like this takes many months to a few years to get right. Development can do it in a few months.

These mechanics have never been done in a multi-play context; CE will be a great platform for exploring multi-play with emergent outcomes. Having other people in game with you will add tenfold to these types of emergent mechanics.

I call it “Emergent Disadvantage”; it is the aspect making Player Unknown so popular.

edit; slavery is handled with mini-quests. If a player thralls another player, mini-quests are offered, once you complete enough resource gathering, kill quests etc, you’ll gain access to escaping and/or weapons for killing your master, freeing other slaves, etc. Masters can manage player-thralls to extend the mini-quests; if they don’t eventually free their thrall they risk “Rebellion”.(See mods listed above, for more mechanics) Player-thralls can be captured by other players and enthralled or freed. Recruiting player-thralls into your guild where player-thralls become conscripts; a new take on recruiting for guild. Purge mechanic could also be used to free enthralled players. Death Alternative Mechanic can also feature in the Purge, where a defeated player is thrust in to a mad band of raiders razing forts and pillaging villages…

1 Like

This is the beauty of games today.
Some features that are arguable are usually introduced with mods. Praise the modders for their work! (even tho the community (especially Youtubers who live off them) rages on thought of allowing creators who desire it to be financially compensated…).

1 Like

I’ve skimmed through most of the text on this post and I agree it would be nice for something like this.
I’m not fussed much about the discussion regarding if you get corruption or not, but the fall down, almost dead bit is very good.

I play a lot of Rust and after you have almost killed someone, and they are on the floor disabled, you can loot them, then help them up or let them die. This mechanic is very nice.

1 Like

if you loot them while they are downed is a ■■■■■’s move tbh, I don’t see a reason for allowing that. I’m rather see them negotiate for their lives, like, “gimme X thing and I’ll let you leave” guy drops it, to freely loot requiring the other person to kill it’s victim…
I’m also curious about trading, how to implement that without looking like an amateur dev job where people trade with each other by “Dropping free for all bags”, just a thought… If it sticks with that without any sort of menu or direct inventory trading I’ll be fairly disappointed…

1 Like

As far as top of the 9th wishes go this one is pretty nice. Personal morality (the only type of morality) aside, this really should be a widespread mechanic. Here’s my wish-list, I wonder if it will be possible to mod.

Death from players causes other players to KD and makes them lootable, dropping poison and bleed off of them, and making them immune to damage from players and mobs. Server defined KD time defaults to 600 seconds then recovery to 1 health.

Add an option to the interact wheel on players to immediately end KD time and bring the player to 1 health and an option to kill giving 2% corruption.

On KD end, add a status effect to the KD player that causes KD to trigger death lasting default 120 seconds.

Also have a struggling face-down animation for KD with laboured reaching and collapsing.

The ground after a battle would be littered with wounded enemies and friends, you could help your friends back to their feet and slay your downed enemies and loot their equipped items. The enemy leader nearby, you take her healing potions for the trip home but leave her alive, suffering for 7 minutes of the 10 she has been down but she can end it at any time with the clasp at her wrist. On the way home you challenge your friend, after they have recovered, with the star metal spear you looted and defeat him easily, dropping a aloe into his pack and helping him to his feet.

3 Likes

A downed state would add a good depth to the game, especially combat/RP. And it makes a lot of sense since there is unconscious state when player logs off.

3 Likes

I like the idea, maybe surrender, option to enter a downed state without dying where you can be looted then after a select time get up and walk away. The ability to kill is still on the aggressor

I’d not add looting if not killing, period.

I’m not against it, it’s just pointless. Players will simply remove their bracelet if that’s an option. If it isn’t an option then the only thing the feature will do is grief people and waste their time. So either people will avoid the mechanic altogether or quit playing if they’re on the losing end of it and it’s not an RP thing.

On topic: The OP starts by saying:

But this idea literally doesn’t help with this at all.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind the creative suggestion. But it has nothing to do with helping balance combat or recovery after a loss. The goal should always be to encourage PVP between players, not discourage it by punishing them with corruption. The problem is that PVP is completely gear-based and hardly skill-based, not that people want to finish off their opponent.

1 Like

lol but it saves me the run from the desert to the highlands. You make a valid point it does nothing.

[quote=“xx_alucard, post:31, topic:1032, full:true”]

But it does… if you no longer get killed and all your gear stolen EVERY time, since the attacker 1) Might think knocking you down is enough 2) Have to much corruption and don’t want to risk more, it literally helps you not having to gear up every time you die.

But as I said, only to a degree, since they might still kill you and take your stuff, but maybe with my suggestion, not every time :slight_smile:

It’s already like that now. People usually do kill you and take your stuff, but occasionally will let you get it back afterwards or stop before killing you. The real problem is that you’re worried about getting your gear stolen in the first place because the system is completely based on it.

Instead of trying to encourage people to “have mercy” and hope it changes their behavior, I rather focus on addressing the lack of balance.

I think gear progression is to heavily integrated to change, but who knows.

Also, as I wrote before, I think actions should come with consequences. By any means, attack kill and loot but there has to be a balance. (And I played enough on testlive to know there is none, no consequence at all for bad behavior)