Testlive Patch (29.11.2019) - Mounts! Follower leveling system! More combat rebalancing! But...by Crom! There's even more?!

Maybe they did that to make Strength less attractive (read: must-have) in PvP because people are going to need to invest points in Agility instead. So with fewer benefits gained from Strength it doesn’t feel as great a sacrifice.

Not that I’d know, I could never afford more than 10 Strength for better thrall-bonking.

EDIT: Also, thank you for the best Conan Exiles related Christmas present ever, Funcom! Renaming thralls has been on the top of my wishlist for a long time now.

3 Likes

Perhaps. But please bear in mind that there are two other modes besides PvP, who like myself still do use use it, and will suffer because of this. I mean come on…how many threads have you seen calling for Salting the Wound to be nerfed…!? Im sorry but to me this was an uneccessary nerf and a poor decision, as with the Healing Arrow nerf. Which I might add, neither of which we were told about prior to now.

On a more concillatory note, much like yourself I only used to use Strength 10 for its concussion bonus for quite some time myself. But it is actually incredibly useful, especially in battles against bigger bosses such as the Warmakers Champion, the Red Mother, Thag and World Bosses! :innocent: Why? Damage acceleration my good fellow, thats why! Let us say that you are using a one handed War Axe with a damage rating of 54. Virtually all weapons inflict debuffs right, which are what powers this wonderful perk. As soon as the first debuff takes effect (and while ever it remains active), your trusty Axe goes from inflicting 54 damage to a healthy 67.5 (up by 13.5) damage…per hit! OR put differently, a 4 hit combo goes from 216 total damage to 270 per hit combo…

So when we are fighting say World Bosses and the Red Mother, it saves:

1. playing time (which is very limited for me)
  2. resource burn of upper end healing items such as Roast Haunch (because the fight ends sooner)
  3. the frequency of grind needed to replace it
  4. it also make for more efficient farming

As a Singleplayer like myself, you know all too well that killing such bosses represents a significant time investment. So it is (to me anyway) invaluable as a time saving device. It all adds up.

Kapoteeni if I were you, I would respec and/or use some bonuses and try it out for yourself. Especially while this patch is still in testlive, give it a try now and see how useful it can really be, before that door closes on it forever.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen from @Wak4863’s recent Youtube video, between Thrall eating and healing arrows, it will be more then enough to keep thralls up. In that above video, all it took was some food to take on the Red Mother. Anyhoo, just my 2 cents.

I’ve tested Salting the Wound before. Daggers are my go-to weapons, so getting a debuff in and maintaining it is trivially easy. Yes, it’s very handy, especially against bosses that take debuffs. I was initially thrilled to try it out.

But I still don’t feel the need for it. Without Strength, I just need to hit my enemy some more to make it keel over. With limited stat points, and being too lazy to respec all the time, I’ve simply learned to live without high strength because I need other stats more.

Then again, my playstyles tend to be weird, and they don’t always match what could be considered “mainstream”, so I may not be the right person to say what stats are the most useful. Clearly PvPers value their Strength, as do many PvEers. It’s not my place to tell them they’re playing wrong.

A drop from 125 % damage to 115 % damage is an 8 % drop in actual damage. It’s not insignificant, but not something I’d worry over. I probably suffer worse penalties to my damage output due to my suboptimal weapon choices - I often choose a durable legendary over a brittle but higher-damage weapon, and refuse to use some weapons because they’re too ugly.

But the bottom line is, I don’t have a horse in this race (choice of words intended) because I don’t play a Strength build anyway, so I’ve no reason to support this nerf, either. I just wanted to provide a possible explanation to why this was done now.

The Healing Arrow nerf, on the other hand, I dislike somewhat, at least until I’ve properly tested what sort of healing food provides to our companion NPCs. Haunches are easier to come across than healing arrows, and most of the time I don’t need to heal my buddy during a fight, just between bosses.

1 Like

This must be some sort of curse.
Every time I find myself a new favorite weapon (or in that case two), the subsequent path will nerf it or it’s entire class into oblivion
:frowning_face:

3 Likes

Well, just mod them and they are not nerfed… Time to craft some of them. Already made 30 serpentmen spears and moded them…

Did someone craft the new Silent Legion armor?

How much does the healing arrows now heal? Before it was kinda 2000hp of a a thrall when no attack happend.

Red mother aint that hard. Better would be a scorpion worldboss or arena champion for testing ( @Wak4863 )

That is alright. My strength by default sits at around 14-16 ish (I cant remember exactly…). But my armour and a potion get me up to an even 20 STR. But I understand what you mean. Respecing is a pain at times, and I support the whole different strokes for different folk wisdom on this one.

As a diehard Crom zealot I always have either the Sword of Crom or Croms Hammer on me at all times, even though the prior is terribly ineffective in the hands of the player, and I also prefer to go it alone wherever possible. We all have our quirks I guess. As long as you are having fun, that is all that matters I say.

Thats fair enough. Both bother me at least somewhat, and I view them as unecessary to move the game foward. But look Im not here looking to argue over these decisions. And it is possible you are right. For the record, if you see my earlier posts, you will notice there is much more I am excited about than bothered by in this update. I just couldnt help but make the wisecrack. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah. Or maybe I’m just too excited about the thrall renaming feature so I’m more inclined to forgive whatever crimes against humanity they may otherwise sneak into this patch.

1 Like

Our team is still looking into a solution that doesn’t interfere with other systems in the game.

Northern parts of Norway would know better.

It’s fixed. Under Audio fixes (last fix mentioned).

You can do that in this patch by selecting “Break bonds”, as noted in the patchnotes.

3 Likes

How bad is the nerf of the healing arrows?

Can’t tell the exact number, but nowhere near this much. My guess - around 40 Hp/second for like 10-12 seconds, so 400-500 HP per single arrow cloud and I don’t think they stack. And because level 20 follower HP pool size now can be anything between 8 to 17k, healing them to full can cause major downtime.

2 Likes

Wait, what? Are you sure @Ignasi? Because it’s pretty momentous news if so, but I have a feeling we’re looking at a communications hiccup?

4 Likes

Not that I can see, break bonds still makes them go Kablooie:

3 Likes

Still is nice… And did they even stack currently live?

I always used them between fights… So have to wait longer until full health. But I thought it would be so bad like the lifeblood spear.

I still dont get why already placed thralls (legacy) also get their HP nerfed, when you cannot level them anyway… :confused:

Break Bonds just makes them vanish, not repack into a chest or inventory. I think you misunderstood the request? Palm522 is asking for a way to salvage the purge names that take so very long to capture and then use as new type thralls.

The new system is interesting. It allows for some variation on thralls, with the same names. But it does just completely wipe out months or years of the most time consuming grind we have to do in the game. Now we have to recapture all the named thralls all over again, but in addition, we now need to individually level them up to make them strong. At the start, they are much weaker than our old thralls were. This is NOT how it was described to us a few weeks ago.

So yes, if you level up a thrall, it will be stronger than a classic thrall, but it will be literally weeks or months for a player to recover their defenses to a similar level as before. In many cases, players will never recover from the setback.

So, you will keep hearing requests to do something to help ease this massive blow. I strongly suggest Funcom buckle down and devise a solution to make the transition to the new thrall system significantly less painful.

1. Give us a way to summon old thralls.
  2. Do a full conversion of old to new. Would it be complicated coding? Maybe, but this is the system you designed and it is up to you to figure out how to make it work.
  3. Allow thralls to level in other ways, rather than only leveling the one that is currently following. Do they not all jump in to help with a purge or base raid? Shouldn’t they learn something from that? What about allowing for a group of them to follow in “learn only” mode, where they are simply watching the player fight to develop their skills? Something.

I get why this is being done. It is going to take a ton of load off the servers, which are an expense that reduces profitability. But it is about as fun for the players as saying you will randomly delete 80% of their buildings AND make them all have 50% less HPs - but if we work hard for months, we can reinforce the buildings to be stronger than they were before. Just think about it.

I think releasing the thralls with mounts was aimed to distract us from how much frustration will be caused for those that depend on their thralls. I am not one of those, but I feel for the folks that are taking this hard.

3 Likes

Thanks!! Someone finally sees it the same as me…

New level20 thralls should be significantly stronger than old ones according to Jens…

You can achieve that in 2 ways:

1. They are really stronger
  2. Nerf the crap out of the old ones → hence the new ones are stronger now.
2 Likes

At this point, considering the magnitude of thrall system change, I would suggest full official server wipe. The time has come :smirk:

Yeah, my bad. Forgot the part about the thrall repack.
Answering to that original question, unfortunately there are no plans at the moment to add that feature in.

Once again, no official server wipes are planned nor considered. For players who like that kind of feature, we’d recommend giving private servers a go, as some of them embrace that feature.
Our team has looked into the possibility of bringing back again blitz servers, a feature we had during Early access but was shut down due to not being very popular at all. For the time being there is nothing to announce, if anything, but it’s being looked into.
But that’s a conversation for another thread.

2 Likes

As a player who loves the way of strength, exact this nerves (strength, 2nd & 4th perk) together with arrow healing nerves are not welcome.