The future of PvP in SWL

And it’s the term “Equally as rewarding” that i have a problem with. It never used to be that PVP rewarded any type of loot, and it should remain that way. The fact signet rewards were offered as a reward created a false incentive which has damaged the way people feel about what should be on offer.
IMO it really doesn’t need it since those who want to PVP will always PVP - the problem comes one Funcom tries to make one PVP area better than the other by offering better rewards. The sooner folk ditch the idea that PVP needs them the better.

1 Like

In an ideal world, yes that could work. Being pragmatic, no loot means no people “who are not 100% pvpers but maybe 25%” queuing, means no pop. as a thougth experiment, lets wonder how many pop of lfg would happen if there were no loot in dungeons or scenarios.

Anyhow, i would be very keen to see pvp reintroduced in game.

I can see both sides of this argument since I was on both sides of the player base in TSW. The first 2 years of TSW I didn’t want to touch PvP because I saw it as a less effective means of progression. Because of this it wasn’t until the final 2-3 years of the game that I began to enjoy PvP. Mostly because there was no new content and I got bored of PvE but that is not important here, whats important is that I needed some trigger to start PvP’ing whether it be reward or simply due to running out of things to do in the game. The result however was that I loved PvP in TSW, spent 1000s of hours in the different PvP zones experimenting and tinkering with builds. I’m realistic In that I know that what people decide to do is based on risk/reward (or time/reward) whatever you wish to compare. There is however a good middle ground for this arguement however in that you can offer a great deal in the way of achievements and cosmetic based rewards in place of progression based rewards which may be enough to attract interest. You still need some incentive regardless or else people will not even waste there time trying something that they may end up loving and later enjoy without the need for an incentive.

2 Likes

You can’t compare the reward of PVP to any other activity by removing it’s reward entirely just to make it the same. That’s not the kind of reward PVP offers.
PVP rewards are of satisfaction, joy, ego and morale. You can’t buy those or gear with those. Fortunately there is no “Bottle of poison Krynn and Snicko” on the market i can buy to aid me in Fusang, there is no bag i can obtain, not even with a lucky coin that would give me any kind of joy or feeling of reward that could be compared to what i feel when healing a group of fellow Templar while we hold all four relics or ■■■■■■ the fourth one through sheer determination. I think we may be on different pages when we think of what the term “Rewards” are and what indeed they contribute to.
My perception is based solely on a faction by faction level and not rewarding the individual because they spent a little time there. It’s not a holiday destination and should not be treated as if it were any kind of mission.

I can’t remember any time i left PVP and was eager to see what reward i got for being there. I was always concerned about the stats and scores, how i compared against my friends, teams and enemies.

1 Like

This is where the Chronicle was so valuable.

1 Like

Honestly If the other zones were put back in I dont think this discussion about reward would be as relevant. The issue is that all that exists currently is Shamebala and all that is is a PvP slot machine, I enjoy only 5-10% of the matches and often times its over before I even get to start enjoying them. So for Shamebala in particular I think there may need to be adjustments made concerning rewards. For PvP in general if the other zones come in Id be happy with achievement based rewards, titles, ranks etc.

Yes i agree completely. People needs incentives at least a bit, cosmetics and title could definitely do. Turning the thing around, I don’t really see why it would be an issue for ppl to be able to gear doing pvp. I agree it is not necessary, but i don’t see it as being negative.

1 Like

I don’t really see why it would be an issue for ppl to be able to gear doing pvp. I agree it is not necessary, but i don’t see it as being negative.

There’s been a decent group trying to make it pop weekends - usually by ah, enticing new players. :smiley:

Had it popping nonstop for three hours last Saturday, and it actually became efficient for shard farming.

1 Like

Actually, Drenneth, I’d say that’s exactly the point for Funcom - PVP keeps players interest during content droughts. It’s another fun way to enjoy the game, and play with the people you’ve come to know in the game.

I know, I know…content droughts? It’s not like we ever have those…

4 Likes

I’m crying because this is what i attempted to explain for so long.
THANK YOU !!
Now bring back pvp so we can do litteraly anything else than replaying content for the millionth time, please.

2 Likes

I got into TSW/SWL because of the story, but the standout moment in my 5 years on/off playing was a (very rare) night of 25-a-side Fusang. SO MUCH FUN! I’d love to see it come back in some form. Could it be done as factionless? e.g. you just join the team with the lowest population at that point? No idea how global rewards would be sorted, though.

2 Likes

Simply increase the global cooldown of all AoE abilities, and give a significant decrease to damage/healing output, which forces players to pick abilities to debuff, stun and purge enemies (more tactical play?). Should only apply when engaged in PvP ^^

Warframe offers such type of adjustments when you play in Conclave (PvP) so these systems do work.

PVE was never broken in TSW. There were a couple ability changes that made a lot of people cry, especially a number of PVE players that were unable to adapt when there cookie cutter builds were altered. But it was certainly not broken, in fact most PVE content was a faceroll to complete.

That being said I’ve noted several times in this post that I recougnize this as being a story driven PVE focused game and I would advise that any ability changes only occur if they can be restricted to only PVP content. Alternately they could remove certain skills from use in PVP matches instead of tinkering with them in an attempt to balance things.

I was endgame in all content and was never effected by PvP skill changes in TSW however I was also quite good at adapting to the changes.

5 Likes

While i would love to wear my PVP outfits - Sadly M can not.
I have a Faction rank outfit, but it’s hideous on the new Mother toon, she looks like a battered old bag of crab meat. Apparently i’m not allowed to share :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

That was always my complaint in the secret world to be honest: powers and abilities being nerfed because they “were op”. But time and again if I asked “why” they were OP the answer was always: “well you must understand that in pvp…” nerfing powers outside pvp to make pvp better only antagonizes the pve community; and discourages them from taking in the PVP mechanics. If they can bring back PVP without constantly taking things away from the PVE player? that would be amazing for all I’d think.

2 Likes

I do agree with that and I hope that it will be dealt with better in the future should PvP be reintroduced in any meaningful way. Its much harder to balance PvP then it is to do so in PvE content but at the end of the day even if PvP were to come back to SWL it would still only probably be 10% of the player base at most that would be invested in it. Personally I’d rather ust see “OP” skills removed from the PvP grounds and that would be a small price to pay to keep both sides content.

I’d never claimed that PvP wasn’t broken it actually was in some ways. Regarding ques it was “working as intended” but not the best system I agree. A counter was to group with one other player and you would then be placed in a higher priority. For example if a 5man pre-made was qued for Stonehenge and they got in a match if you were to group with at least one other player that 5man pre-made would be skipped on the following pop.

Also PvP was certainly not for those discouraged by a loss. In fact I remember in my early times PvP’ing I would spend match after match just getting killed left right and center. But I learned to enjoy that challenge and over time found ways to counter builds, found strategies that worked better and learned who to targets and more importantly who not to target.

Anyway’s at the end of the day I always remember how I was early in TSW. I hated PvP, hated feeling helpless against groups that were far better at the time and if you had asked me then I would have agreed with you. But after giving it a chance and taking on the challenge I ended up meeting a lot of amazing players and having some of the most epic fights and experiences that I have ever experienced in this game.

PvP uniforms arent “Faction locked”. You can use you TSW PvP outfit in any other Faction if gender is same. You just need to export/import it via outfit addon, like Fashionista.