The future of PvP in SWL

PvP broke TSW in my opinion. I do not have a will to see that in Legends.
Once implemented, PvP will require so many acts of balancing that PvE will be damaged…again. I enjoyed El Dorado and Stonehenge but do not want to see Legends go in that direction.

Simply increase the global cooldown of all AoE abilities, and give a significant decrease to damage/healing output, which forces players to pick abilities to debuff, stun and purge enemies (more tactical play?). Should only apply when engaged in PvP ^^

Warframe offers such type of adjustments when you play in Conclave (PvP) so these systems do work.

PVE was never broken in TSW. There were a couple ability changes that made a lot of people cry, especially a number of PVE players that were unable to adapt when there cookie cutter builds were altered. But it was certainly not broken, in fact most PVE content was a faceroll to complete.

That being said I’ve noted several times in this post that I recougnize this as being a story driven PVE focused game and I would advise that any ability changes only occur if they can be restricted to only PVP content. Alternately they could remove certain skills from use in PVP matches instead of tinkering with them in an attempt to balance things.

I was endgame in all content and was never effected by PvP skill changes in TSW however I was also quite good at adapting to the changes.

While i would love to wear my PVP outfits - Sadly M can not.
I have a Faction rank outfit, but it’s hideous on the new Mother toon, she looks like a battered old bag of crab meat. Apparently i’m not allowed to share :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

My build was never “cookie cutter,” but the rather simple PvE build was nerffed to the point of frustration because of issues some players were calling out in PvP. The only possibility of adapting my build was to change the way I played to accommodate the complainers and that was not an option with me.

I disagree that PvP was not broken as it very much was. A solo player could queue but rarely got into PvP within an hours time. Groups and group-content players dominated the PvP content and were favored. Any others was rolled in the dust. Regardless of what it was, I do not care to see it repeated in Legends.

That was always my complaint in the secret world to be honest: powers and abilities being nerfed because they “were op”. But time and again if I asked “why” they were OP the answer was always: “well you must understand that in pvp…” nerfing powers outside pvp to make pvp better only antagonizes the pve community; and discourages them from taking in the PVP mechanics. If they can bring back PVP without constantly taking things away from the PVE player? that would be amazing for all I’d think.

I do agree with that and I hope that it will be dealt with better in the future should PvP be reintroduced in any meaningful way. Its much harder to balance PvP then it is to do so in PvE content but at the end of the day even if PvP were to come back to SWL it would still only probably be 10% of the player base at most that would be invested in it. Personally I’d rather ust see “OP” skills removed from the PvP grounds and that would be a small price to pay to keep both sides content.

I’d never claimed that PvP wasn’t broken it actually was in some ways. Regarding ques it was “working as intended” but not the best system I agree. A counter was to group with one other player and you would then be placed in a higher priority. For example if a 5man pre-made was qued for Stonehenge and they got in a match if you were to group with at least one other player that 5man pre-made would be skipped on the following pop.

Also PvP was certainly not for those discouraged by a loss. In fact I remember in my early times PvP’ing I would spend match after match just getting killed left right and center. But I learned to enjoy that challenge and over time found ways to counter builds, found strategies that worked better and learned who to targets and more importantly who not to target.

Anyway’s at the end of the day I always remember how I was early in TSW. I hated PvP, hated feeling helpless against groups that were far better at the time and if you had asked me then I would have agreed with you. But after giving it a chance and taking on the challenge I ended up meeting a lot of amazing players and having some of the most epic fights and experiences that I have ever experienced in this game.

I believe, and that’s only my opinion, since the new game is more caged with synergy and diversity, it will not be necessary to balance more.

PvP uniforms arent “Faction locked”. You can use you TSW PvP outfit in any other Faction if gender is same. You just need to export/import it via outfit addon, like Fashionista.

This is my thought also, but then again I am not a (game) programmer. I was just starting to get into PVP when SWL came out, but never really got the point of Shambala…

Imo, discussions about did PvP broke PvE or did PvE broke PvP is up to persont taste/opinion to the matter.

Imo, only notable effect other than Gear related, was making Anima Shot having cast time and removing “snare” effect from cast time attacks. Before this modification, hugest impact was making Suppressing Fire “single” Hit skill from “multi hit” Frenzy attack. Suppressing Fire was just crazy proc skill before this update.

This Anima Shot change didnt “ruin” PvE (like peoples rage about it), but it made PvP leeches even more effective, because of one Gear piece and I mean Woodcutter necklace. Because of this, everyone drop Penetration and invest to Crit Chance more. Having higher Crit Chance was thing what basically killed “Glance Tank” breed, because Crit Hit was calculated before Hit/Glance roll. And Crit Chance based Passives are amazing. You can have Corrupt, Depilitate and Purge chance and stack of Proc damage with just one Crit Hit.

Example, having High Gear based Crit chance (because you have Woodcutter), With Anima Burst (without snare effect), with Parasite Augment, and with stack of Crit chance (%) additive passives, you could run anyones Buffs off, and eventually kill them no matter did they have defensive stacks from NM Raid gear… because you could have best about 70% Crit Chance without CD’s all the time (especially if you have Riposte Head signet).

This was what, imo, unbalanced everything. Woodcutter Talisman, nothing else. And was it PvE or PvP thing, its up to everyones opinion :wink:

My male original male templar has all PVP outfits unlocked, since this toon is a female - she can not wear any of his unlocked outfits. Which is stupid coz i could make another male temp and he would have all pvp outfits but never have set foot in pvp unless he was called the same name as original toon. The one i really want is the black healer outfit

I agree with Scratch factionless pvp is not what i would want to see, i enjoyed fighting scratch in the war zones & enjoy fighting with him in the pve area’s , as for pvp needing incentive well maybe in shamblahblah for some it is needed & that is fine , but most of us old pvp’ers know that pvp is it’s own reward & we do it because it’s fun & exciting. Will we ever get to see our old pvp zones back in SWL? i think there is more chance of hell freezing over , SWL is looking more & more like a solo game to me with far less emphasis on group content, it really is still just a shell , no implementation of the missing dungeons thus far & i think the reality is if you look at the numbers playing it’s easy to see that the game is not in any way the kind of success that Funcom had hoped for & it will be dropped like a hot stone just like TSW was, not being negative just realistic.

BTW everybody - i love how fast this is becoming a steady topic on the new forum with daily interaction and replies, feedback and suggestions of our own so they can see WE as a community want it to work for SWL and without real direct input from the powers that be we have no reason not to discuss its possible re-introduction in the future.
If you don’t count certain high ranking topics on the forum, because they are nothing to do with the game really, such as “Hello There” and “places we will not be” … then this is the highest ranking for discussing a feature/addition that should, despite previous unknown reasons, be present in SWL.

#PVP :dragon: :templar: :dolphin:
(i couldn’t find a lumie emoji so they have to make do with a dolphin, coz squeaks and clicks and wot not)

The factions were the blood of this game.
Without it, this universe is in a vegetative state.
It’s flat and without taste, especially since nothing new and substential came out in years.

Just gonna drop in and say hi, it’s good to see some old faces here. Even you darxide. :kissing_heart:

I’ll concede that i haven’t played SWL much and might be totally wrong, but what i saw of it in launch and how the EFB works, i don’t see it’s pvp meta being as alive and diverse as it was in TSW.
I myself don’t have much of an imagination and am super boring, but seeing other people evolve and adapt their builds was always fascinating.

Now, that being said i would absolutely get back into SWL if it had some sort pvp update, even just bringing the old maps back would do it for me (shallowbala is not proper pvp). Yes, SWL combat is a shadow of TSW:s in complexity, creativity and build diversion imo, but i can see pvp still being enjoyable.

Going to actually reinstall SWL and see what’s up, maybe Funcom will someday see PVP:s value to endgame as stopgap content if nothing else and give us our old maps back.
Maybe even reinstall TSW. Some old school pvp would be :pogchamp:

Sadly this is accurate. As negative as it may seem this appears to be the focus of the game currently. It’s missing over 50% of the old group content we once had and what the general trend with things like the agent system is that people log in do some dailies send agents out on missions and log out. I’ve seen almost 60% of the endgame community leave or drastically reduce there play time over the last few months and the agent system hasn’t done anything to change that. I’m not certain that season 2 will have a lasting effect either. Don’t get me wrong the story content is amazing in this game but it’s generally 1-2 weeks of playtime for the months of development that goes into it. PvP and group content in general however provides the opposite effect.

I have a crazy idea

why not make the World Domination Buff count also for Agents?
They get more stat more exp and maybe are more unlikly to get incapaciated.

So everyone will want the Buff so they will go to PVP.
But ofc no need to, Agents work fine without buff and if you dont want to do PVP others will do and you will have the buff from time to time.

and I wrote this in the moment I had the idea, so its very spontaneous

Would take some refining but that’s interesting mechanic indeed.