"The Purge" Achievement

Most people. At least, most who have tried which is… well, probably still most people. I got it the first day of the content being out, on my second trip through the missions.

Just come up with an imaginary grid and run STRAIGHT LINES from East to West, one side to the other. Move just a little bit South when you hit the wall and keep going until you’re certain you’ve cleared everything. Then just hang around near the respawning hyenas and clear them out until you have the achievement. It’s… really simple.

I have on more than one occasion helped someone who got the achievement without having done that side mission. It is not required, unless it is only required that one member of the party has ever completed the mission on a previous day.

p.s.: That said, it’s a fun mission, do it anyway!

1 Like

I’m 90% sure I didn’t have the side mission or kill that enemy when I got The Purge achieve. I remember wondering if I needed it, then figuring I’d go back and get it if nothing else worked, but almost positive it worked without that one.

EDIT: I had previously completed that one though, on the offchance that affected it.

The time I had DLU on CD and methodically went through each section and major area I could not get The Purge. When I said Zog dis ya runty gitz and came back the next day and did DLU I got it after clearing out the respawning green Heynas.

Looks at Onevia’s comment, hurls bricks I really need to invest in leveling a rifle for Rolfstomp level content and stick to my main guns otherwise.

1 Like

You really dont need this quest. I made the Purge on my all 3 chars. It seems you were not methodical enough :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If any of you have problems getting this achievement then please refer to the bit that I’ve quoted here. It contains the exact problem.

2 Likes

Speaking of being methodical, you should take the time to make sure all targetable flying wildlife have been take care of. I took note of the respawning blue and green hyenas as discussed in both Reddit and now this forum but it turned out it was the kongamotos that had been denying me the achievement.

1 Like

Also noting: MAKE SURE all the locusts are dead. I had a -single- locust somehow avoid all my AOEs and hide in the green stuff and I assumed I was just missing konogamotos or timing the respawns badly or… but nope. No. It was.a.single.locust. I have NO idea how it survived by itself in there… but that was my slip up. So really, yes, it all goes back to being methodical. I also, personally, prefer the chasing the matriarch to the wall just because it helps things feel less messy. Since then, I’ve helped two other people complete it (at different times), so it is very doable.

3 Likes

Thanks to Withoutscratch I finally got The Purge achievement. Withoutscratch grouped with me and we ran around killing but it still wasn’t popping. There was a spot where I’d get loud combat music but nothing around. Withoutscratch had me leave the instance and come back. After that the spot where the combat music was quiet. We killed a few after that and the achievement popped. I’m thinking there was a bugged mob aggroed on me under the ground and me leaving the instance made it despawn. Thanks again so much Withoutscratch for all your help. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did The Purge just now. And after having cleared that area once, there were only 12 respawned hyenas in that area when I came back to finish it.

I cleared the entire map, and the achievement wouldn’t work. What I had to do was wait around at the open grate to the right of the main gate(when facing it). Packs of hyenas would spawn from this grate periodically. I killed three or four waves of the hyenas coming from the grate, and finally the achievement popped up.

IIRC first time you go there, there are 14, but then only 12 respawn. Maybe I worded that weirdly. Sorry.

I got the loud combat music bug as well while I was trying for the achievement.

ho thank you :+1:
I didn’t understand why the achievment not triggers after all the map is cleared.

Got the achievement following some tips from this post.

Just to confirm, you don’t need to kill the Golem or the mob from “Don’t look up”. I killed the Champion (Bloodtalon), but I don’t know if it counted. After killing everything by quadrants, including the Iocusts, I spent some time looping around the respawns, only to complete the achievement when I killed the first two adds that follows the Bouda Matriarch. Took me 20min.

I’ve made a map of the monsters spawn/location which can be found here. The mission-specific mobs are not included in the map, meaning this is the layout you meet whenever you decide to enter the night part of New Dawn, so anyone can use it for kill farming purposes as well.
This achievement should take you no more than 5-10 minutes, depending on gear level.

7 Likes

Check your legend. Excellent work on the map! :slight_smile:

Very nice map, but flipped the legend for Kongamato and Demon Hyenas =). Nice all the same.

AH, yes … I see I made a slight mistake there :wink: Thanks for pointing it out.

Edit: have fixed the legend, and a link to the new picture. :slight_smile:

Just recently completed this one – on first run through SA thanks to the nice tips here. I suspect they might have reduced the respawn rate, though. I did this over the course of perhaps 20~60m and kept looking for respawned hyenas as the hold up. It was actually a bird on a roof that I missed. I don’t think anything respawned during my tour.

BTW, I didn’t time it. Subjectively it felt like about an hour, but it could have been a lot less due to the nature of time-sense when immersed in new.