The PVE Builder

But now we are up to 235 posts and we have only one exaple on whats a big base is and that was a map and atleast one if the bases was to big the other … who knows.

Whats youre opinion on whats to big and what you think funcom think on whit that unclear rule?

I guess light must be ok to put out what you need to be able to handel a purge but not wright neon text on the walls. And what about candles, how to use them?

I think this base is to big.From 40fps near in base i have 14fps.Ryzen 7 5800x,32gb of ram,1080 GTX nvidia card.Other players think same.But even small size base can make performance problems is have many placeables(torches is realy bad in that case).You need compare FPS outside and inside.Cant say more-i dont know how admins make decision.And if have any landclaim-better remove.

2 Likes

If that is too big, then many will have problems soon.

About the candles, ex it locks werry nice to put candles on top spikes on black ice walls but its alot off light points, small but many …

Interesting and incomplete design. The issue may be its fairly tall.

If that is the entire area of the build, it probably is not big overall area wise with possibly 5.5k blocks or less due it’s height. Area of the claim is roughly 30 by 50. Which I estimate is less than 1% of a zone block.

Closest structures are 10 blocks and less tall. Bridge looks estimated 25 blocks tall. The building is probably 32-35 blocks tall. So lets say the Building is probably 9 x 30 x 35. Obviously these are estimated based on the structure pieces I can count.

So estimated building to be 3,500 blocks based on my calculations, Bridge to be at about 1k, and the rest roughly 1k for estimated 5.5k worth of blocks. (Granted this is an incomplete project)

Odd to have that much a performance issue with just sandstone structures (which have less texture details compared to other sets) that is not overwhelming and no light sources any other placeables I can see. Performance is weird at times. If it dropped initially with the draw and worked fine after may make sense to me since this is not an expansive build I seen with other pictures or on 1941.

I can only comment on the screenshot of course. I am not sure this base in a normal sense applies for over building currently.

I’m seeing alot of references to real life, judges, and laws. So let’s make things clear.

All the notions of free speech, innocent till proven guilty, and all that are irrelevant. The Official servers are rented property. That means the customer (Funcom in this case) of that rental service has the right and privilege to govern those servers however they wish.

Its not a public space. In the public we have those aforementioned ideals because we all take part within our governments and the society as a whole. A private server (which is what an Official is, just rented by Funcom, the only difference in this regard) is not a public space.

Its open to the public (us), but we have no entitlement to be there. We choose to be there. And when we do choose to play on those servers we agree to their rules. Every official server player has agreed to follow the rules, to the letter, and adjust when the rules change. They do this upon logging in. Whether they see the rules or not. Simply logging in is agreeing to follow the rules.

But here’s the catch. Not only do you agree to follow the rules as they are written. But you agree to the rules that are unwritten in the minds of who is renting the server. And even those rules can have consequences. And the players of the Official servers have to abide by them, they agreed to. Even if they don’t know, don’t care, or whatever.

I get it, its frustrating to have ambiguous rules, rule changes that are ephemeral, and enforcement that appears inconsistent. But here’s the thing. There’s been dozens of dozens of threads about this build or that build being too big. This blocking that. And so forth. The standard for building in Conan is not easily defined. And our community here has never been able to agree with one.

I’ve played on servers that only allowed a single player to build in a 10x10 area, and go maybe 6-8 blocks tall. Servers that allow 250 building pieces total. I’ve also played on servers where I’ve been able to build things that dwarf some of the things shown in this thread. And everything inbetween.

If I posed the question, ‘how big should a player be able to go?’ You all would have different answers. Some of you might even be clever enough to say it depends on what is built and where it is built. Sure. But even then, if I took everyone who has that line thinking. They would not be able to agree on a singular standard. They might even say its case by case.

Case by case. The very definition of ambiguity.

For example, I don’t know if it was in this thread, or another. But someone admitted to building over a Black Rhino spawn. I’ve played on servers where that isn’t allowed. And it does technically restrict access to content. But the idea was that “well everyone agrees that its fine.” Just for the sake of argument, where’s this list of content the community agrees can be blocked and its ‘fine’?

I personally don’t care about a black rhino spawn. But what if someone does. Or at least claims to. What is the admin who handles the tickets submitted supposed to do? There’s no actual list of community-accepted do’s and don’ts. So the only document he has is the rules as written.

Should he enforce the rules as written, or make a call of judgment?

This is where things get problematic. Let’s not even argue about whether we agree on one or the other, because we’re not going to be able to. Let’s talk about reality.

In reality the admin is going to do both at least ideally. They’re going to check the area, and make a call. If the rhino doesn’t have any unique drops and there’s more spawns of it available on the map. Its likely they’re not going to give the player any problems. Otherwise… poof.

Now let’s dig deeper into the actual reality. That admin isn’t doing this stuff occasionally. They’re likely assigned to do this for a lot of tickets. They’re going to have to make these calls on likely several dozen reports or more.

We expect them to be 100% clear, concise, fair, and thoughtful on every incident they investigate. That’s a fantasy. On private servers where admins can literally make up 10-20% of the playerbase, we don’t expect 100%, its close, but never perfect. Now you’ve got one guy, or maybe a few, governing hundreds of servers.

Let’s just say the quality is going to lapse comparatively. Enforcement isn’t necessarily going to be perfectly consistent. But at the end of the day, you all do get what you pay for. This would be a whole different discussion if we were paying to play on those servers. But that’s a discussion for another thread (I don’t recommend it, its been discussed before and doesn’t go anywhere).

5 Likes

I heard servers having small build limits. 250 blocks is the smallest I heard of. That is too restrictive for me.

And I run 3 servers with 15k block limit. Granted no player or clan has reached that number yet outside of my clan which also houses the server related structures. No blocking spawns (minus the common spawns), no blocking locations, pathways, otherwise I allow people to build what they wish. I haven’t had any issues that I recall so I have a pretty good player base over the 2.5 years.

Nice thing about private servers, you pick the server you like (rules, mods/vanilla, server type, etc)

3 Likes

Condescending, that’s laughable. You got pages of reasonable pushback regarding your demand for an additional warning system and failed to address ANY of those points at any length or depth.

Players are warned. An additional warning system that doesn’t even allow a person to fix their infractions is useless. A real warning system is difficult to implement and arguably not worth the benefit.

What is condescending is chanting “but it’s mean” instead of providing actual reason or evidence to show your demand is warranted, then claiming moral high ground and insulting people.

4 Likes

Idk how many blocks- not count them.And yes-incomplete and guy building more.Not sure thats grafical card problem.By changing grafic settings fps almost no change.I think most work go on processor.And on screenshot you not see how massive base is.Who want look-go to 1301 server near scorpion boss in G5 if i good remember.P.S.-im bit run around and count.Claim are is about 50x100 blocks.Main building is about 60 hight.No doors inside-idk how he go there.

1 Like

but i guess when the building is tall the pc have to load the hole building at ones.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.