Thrall limit, death for pve

Ok Biggcane, i must mention that i am playing on a Siptah server where there were no villages at all before 2.3 (again no lag). I know that on Exile map servers there have been lag all the time and on those servers the villages was, not sure but from start.

OK. I knownwhat you are saying. You are talking of the NPC camps,/cities. If so, then yes introducing those added ai to server. But many wanted this change because the server felt bare. Me not so much, as it at least felt different than exiles. But once they trashed the whole surge mechanic to go back to camps for named, they had to add areas. I agree, before it was less laggy.

Now we are on same page :slightly_smiling_face:

and this is precisely why official servers need thrall limits and hopefully building limits soon as well. only then they might be playable.

5 Likes

If i understand it right this game was made for ppl to build not like other mmorpg games. So they made the pets for a reason i guess, so ppl could use them. But i will say again, it is the pvp players who is complaining most about this thrall thingy. It lag when they gona siege a fort.
And if they gona make building limits they are making the game opposite what it was intented for from start.

another thing, i have 5 preservation boxes full with animals which i dont wanna put out in the game

False. The reason why they’re doing this is almost at the top of their post about it, so it should be impossible to miss, yet here we are:

So no, the main motivation is not to manage the land claim on PVP servers.

Heh, I’d like to see you go through a Cimmerian Berserker purge with only 1 follower, no help from other players, no damage to any of your buildings, and your follower still alive.

Maybe on your particular server. There are plenty of servers out there that are absolutely choked with excessive followers.

Which should tell you that it’s pretty damn critical to control the total amount of AI running on the server, which means that the follower cap is a necessary measure. “Siptah was running much smoother when there were no settlements” is a really poor argument against the follower cap.

I keep seeing this, too. That’s just FUD from people who can’t adapt. Plenty of us will still want to use pets for different purposes, just without excess.

As others pointed out, if your zoo puts you over the cap, then you’re part of the problem. Every server is a shared resource, and official servers are shared with minimal moderation. This means that either the players have to be “good neighbors” and be conscious of how their actions might impact the whole server, or that Funcom has to set up a system that limits what players can do on official servers. I guess the players, inn aggregate, have proven that they don’t care about being good neighbors.

False. They said that in addition to their main motivation, this should also make it harder to defend huge claims:

They never said it would stop it.

Actually, it doesn’t. Just because they mentioned PVP, doesn’t mean that overbuilding and massive claims aren’t a problem on PVE. Follower limit is a step in the right direction for PVE overbuilding problems, too: if you don’t have unlimited thralls, you can’t build a bloody road polluting all of the map and defend it from a Cimmerian Berserker purge or a Sobek purge.

4 Likes

Is it wrong that I kind of want to see this now?

And that’s really what’s at the heart of most of these problems. If people would just behave themselves and be mindful of any tangible impact their actions may have on others (without being total pushovers) then we wouldn’t have these issues. Or at least they wouldn’t be as bad.

A thousand thralls all packed together in one spot is going to cause lag. Something like that is common knowledge. Even if you weren’t aware of that, it should become apparent when your own performance degrades after placing the five hundredth thrall in your basement, which should lead you to consider downsizing a bit. Unfortunately people these days just have absolutely no shame at all and will brazenly abuse exploits or break game mechanics while blaming the developers for not preventing them from doing it. So I don’t think they ever actually get to the part about considering their own actions.

4 Likes

Sometime I go to a official pve server with lowest ping rate possible. In there is few mega base lying around, been to a few of them and waiting for it load in take more than a minutes, what is common between the mega base is that they put a lot of thrall and pet surrounding it. Just a month ago the bridge of betrayer only has a few animal and some foundation and now there is all 7 Altar in straight line following the bridge. It still ok as they did not block the path from 1 end to the other sheltering anyone using it from the cold. I would still think is a nice addition, but they also build a road from there over the mountain to stargazer crest🤦‍♂️. They already have taken most of mound of the dead area. And saying the the landclaim and the number of follower is not an issue for the pve and pve-c is too much of a stretch. Let face it we have people would ruin it for other.

2 Likes

Ofc thralls matter in pve and adds to server load…

So yeah thrall limit is welcome in pve… Not all players use a lot of thralls…

3 Likes

One question, how many playhours do you ppl who is writing here have? And are you mostly playing pve or pvp?

I got my own servers precisely because of this.

Play hours arent really relevant.

You got it because of to many thralls? or to many buildings?

To make my opinion it is relevant, after a while you ahve gotten every recipe, you ahve all crafter thralls you want. So if i cant make my own zoo or village and get thralls for those, what is it left to do??
There are no raidgroups or grouping at all and the gear and weapon you want you amke your self so the Vaults and world bosses are useless to make.

Why even make surges/purges to get thralls you dont need or can put out? These updates are for pvp mostly, like i have said everytime.

I too enjoy building, but I make sure I don’t build too much or in the way.
You can build a very I mean very very big base with this limit.

If you want to build more, break something else down and make a new build this is how I do it.

The other problem that’s going to be worse is the palisade spam to compensate for the lack of defence in bigger bases, I’m not talking about the 2-3 layers but I’ve seen people spamming 10-20 layers of palisades…

I have built a big main base and 2 smaller ones. But to tear apart and build again is not a sollution that will make ppl to stay on servers^^. And abput pallisades, how are funcom gona do about that, isn’t that also a kind of using a glitch or abuse the game, like someone mentioned above that having many thralls was/is?

I have also my own server only exile for now. So i am going to just log on to official to uppdate decay time from now on. And that will not trigger a purge and if it does i can revoke it.

Pretty sure it was intended to be a survival adventure game, not a build simulator. I say this as someone who LOVES the building in this game. But I’ve been on official PVE, PVP and Private servers. Building limits and thrall limits are an excellent idea. The size of base some people build is just ridiculous. It’s selfish when playing on a server with other people. And PVP servers? The land claim goes beyond stupid. I play on SP only now, and I still don’t build nearly as big as a lot of people do. This is nothing compared to most bases on PVE servers.

3 Likes

OK, you may be right, but this game are not good in the survival and adventure thing. You lvl up to 60 in 2-4 days, you get a good newbie named thrall. With this fighter you kill almost anything in the game. After a week or 2 you get a higher named fighter thrall that help you. Lets say that it takes 2 month to get the best recipes you want for weapon and gear. There you have done the game in 3 month. Left to do is building only since it is in the game, if you wasn’t suppose to build so much they should have made an limit of building pieces from start that you can have.